IGNORED

Draker Quest II - Complete

I might as well put this up. Since late last year, I've been working on Draker Quest 2. The story goes as your little friends have been taken by someone or something and turned into crystals which are inside temple dungeons. Now you must find all your captured friends and find who or what's responsible.

Draker Quest 1 was a failure due to HSC as I couldn't get it to work to save. So I'm going to try again with DQ2.

This time, I'm making the game a little less linear from the first as you can explore any 3 or 4 temples in any order via a network of caves. As you progress by saving more drakers from their crystal prisons, then more worlds open up.

One other thing I've added to some dungeons are bosses. With the limitations of 16K banks, I could only make two large bosses. Some of which guard keys in areas where the crystals are being kept.

Other things are megafruits which will increase the Draker's HP level, and an ice ball that kills slimes.

There are still plenty of issues to work on the game which is why I'm not releasing a BIN at this time. But here are some pics:

gallery_18158_734_63141.jpg

gallery_18158_734_61959.jpg

gallery_18158_734_130327.jpg

• Like 5

Ran into a snag in bank 15, which is a cave level. If the player enters a temple from bank 15, then goes back out, the game freezes up. I've tried remming all possible causes and looked at any mistakes in the code, but still can't find a thing what could be causing this. I am using the latest version of 7800 Basic.

This also happens when the player is in the desert world, goes into the cave, comes back out, then goes back into the cave again.

post-18158-0-27094800-1496640779_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Found out the cause of the glitching in the later levels. It was either variables 29 thru 32 or at $2101. They were for an enemy x/y movement. I also tweaked the graphics a bit and some of the temple monsters look uglier, but that's what monsters should look like, I think.

gallery_18158_734_149364.jpg

gallery_18158_734_204963.jpg

gallery_18158_734_74681.jpg

Alright, I'm going to do a beta release of the game. It will not work with Concerto or any emulator that cannot support 512K. MESS is the only one I know that supports that size. I'm also trying to implement a save feature. This means the right difficulty switch must be in the Right or "B" setting. The Left setting will supposedly clears all the saved data.

dqII.bas.bin

dqII.bas.a78

Edited by frankodragon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This project is still alive. I've been re-tuning the whole game since it was too much backtracking and the nonlinear approach was too confusing. Now the drakers are in caves with enemies outside on the overworld maps like the last game. Originally, the way you could navigate through an overworld and go to other parts of it was to traverse into caves and back out again but that was changed so the overworlds are now opened up more and less dead-ends. Temples are now in placed in the overworld areas as well and they are blocked by doors until you find a crystal from an open temple. I also found out how to get the text to work so I won't be needing to use sprite texts like in the last build. What remains the same is whenever the player completes 3 or 4 temples in the world, another world entrance appears in the first overworld.

post-18158-0-77374400-1507123734_thumb.jpg

And this is from the Desert World:

gallery_18158_734_13549065.gif

The game will still need lots of testing/fixing as I have to fine tune all the locations of the locked doors for the temples, etc.

• Like 1

Alright, I'm going to do a beta release of the game. It will not work with Concerto or any emulator that cannot support 512K. MESS is the only one I know that supports that size. I'm also trying to implement a save feature. This means the right difficulty switch must be in the Right or "B" setting. The Left setting will supposedly clears all the saved data.

attachicon.gifdqII.bas.bin

attachicon.gifdqII.bas.a78

What is the Concerto file size limit? 128K 256K (it loads Bentley Bear at 145K)? It loads all the super-games and super-games+ROM, but not this.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've been working on repairing the maps to the temple dungeons. I've also included a bonus temple and a cave which are optional but filled with treasure and artifacts. Side story is about ancient drakers and the "Gadget Age."

At first when making DQII, I thought about total freedom to roam around the worlds but instead I had to go linear. I wanted to have the player go to one temple, then after obtaining a crystal, the next temple would get unlocked, etc. But instead I thought about going to any temple in the overworld map that player can choose. However, obtaining all the crystals of that one world will open up another overworld map.

I'm wondering what others think if this is a good idea, or should I use locked doors to block the entrances to temples until the player gets the crystal from the "open" temple?

Here are some more revised overworld layouts:

Overworld Two

gallery_18158_734_1406202.jpg

Overworld Three

gallery_18158_734_3279662.jpg

• 2 weeks later...