IGNORED

Wondering vectors

darthbollock

I have just bought this vectrex quite cheap, it was listed as not working. it needed was a new fuse and now turns on but the vectors immediately start moving to the bottom left corner. I am not the first one to open it as three screws are missing and two IC's are socketed and have newer date codes. I did electronics at college and have acquired and repaired several different computers and consoles over the years but this is my first experience with a vectrex and CRT monitors/tv's, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful. here is a video of my vectrex turning on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bW3rmynRU

Well, a few thoughts. I hope they are helpful.

1. I heard no sound. Does it ever make sound? On bootup there should be the familiar Vectrex tones.

2. If you have access to another unit you can swap ICs between them to find any bad ones. I know, probably not available.

3. I always recap my Vectrex units. You can get a kit at Console5.com. No promise it'll fix this particular issue.

4. There is a troubleshooting section in the manual. I don't have a link but you should be able to find it online easily.

5. If you have a high-voltage probe and a multi-meter you can adjust the consoles settings to the factory specifications. The specs are in the service manual, too.

6. What are the socketed chips and do they match what they are really supposed to be?

Edited by KylJoy

Thanks for the reply,

Yes it usually does play the start up sound, i only just realised that it was quiet except the buzz in this vid.

i have ordered a cap kit from console 5. when it arrives and i open it up again i shall check what ICs are socketed.

I have downloaded and read the service manual, and several repair threads and posts. hopefully i have enough info to make a start.

Edited by darthbollock

You ever want to do something crazy like carefully removing and packaging the ICs and sending them to me I would be willing to test them in one of my units. Just offering. It'd be a lot cheaper than mailing the whole unit and I could install them one at a time and run the diagnostics to see if any are bad. Just PM me if you are ever interested.

• Like 1

You ever want to do something crazy like carefully removing and packaging the ICs and sending them to me I would be willing to test them in one of my units. Just offering. It'd be a lot cheaper than mailing the whole unit and I could install them one at a time and run the diagnostics to see if any are bad. Just PM me if you are ever interested.

That is very kind of you. i just might take you up on it. i have already ordered a capacitor kit, so i will install those. saying that, it now blow its fuse every time it is plugged in even though it isn't turned on. could it need a new transformer? i will investigate at the weekend.