IGNORED

Super Game Module 4th run official thread

opcode

By now I believe most of you are aware about the big drama between Coleco versus this community. We got to the point where I just gave up on hope we can do anything to fix this ( and doesn't involve submitting to their absurd terms), so it is time to move on with what we have.

We are in the middle of pre-orders for the 4th run of the Super Game Module. Using the ColecoVision logo is no longer an option, so after a couple of weeks pondering on the matter, I have decided to go with the following name and logo.

post-1432-0-25610400-1496456902.png

Packaging will be changed to reflect that. In fact the main reason to chose this particular logo is that, in my view, this is the closest we can get to the original, keep some of same look and feel and still avoid future entanglements. I apologize if this is frustrating for some of you. Believe me, this is frustrating for me as well, but at the same time is beyond my control.

Quality will still be the same, and most important, passion is still the same. Pac-Man DX is coming around the same time as the 4th run ships and Donkey Kong will be available later this year.

Let's not allow this whole mess destroy our love for the ColecoVision, our enthusiasm and all the fun we always had and some that still to come.

Ed

• Like 15

I understand the necessity for this, Eduardo, and I think it is a very prudent and proactive way to go on the part of OpCode. I also know it is difficult to predict, but do you expect the package change to significantly impact the timetable for shipping out pre-orders? I still have unplayed copies of Penguin Adventure and Gradius on my shelf from the last go round that I am patiently waiting to play. :music: :lolblue:

I understand the necessity for this, Eduardo, and I think it is a very prudent and proactive way to go on the part of OpCode. I also know it is difficult to predict, but do you expect the package change to significantly impact the timetable for shipping out pre-orders? I still have unplayed copies of Penguin Adventure and Gradius on my shelf from the last go round that I am patiently waiting to play. :music: :lolblue:

Our original plan was to ship in September. I still think we can make that. Changes will be smaller than you think, you will see :)

• 3 weeks later...

You know, this entire Coleco debacle reminds me of an article I read in some European Amiga magazine years ago. Some asian company began producing Amiga clones that functioned the same way as the real hardware, but physically these machines (supposedly) resembled a PC and costed a lot less. Commodore - a company that relied on 'word of mouth sales' and independent third-party support - sued the asian company, and the Amiga clones were no more. Commodore could have used the exposure. They were bleeding money badly, and this was close to when the company went bankrupt.

Case in point: had Commodore done the right thing - and worked with the Asian company responsible for those Amiga clones - maybe they would have survived as a company. This is also true for the new Coleco: if you bite the hand that supports you, it will come back to haunt you.

If I am not mistaken, those Amiga clones eventually became the x68000 line of Japanese computers.

Edit: My mind is growing hazy in my old age, so what I remember may not be entirely accurate. LOL

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So just got OPCODE'S email about the re-branding, etc. to the Super Game Module Advanced Upgrade System; I'm assuming those of us that already ordered one from the AtariAge store don't need to do a thing, correct? Our orders (in my case, the clear black case) will just be filled with the re-branded modules when they are released, right?

So just got OPCODE'S email about the re-branding, etc. to the Super Game Module Advanced Upgrade System; I'm assuming those of us that already ordered one from the AtariAge store don't need to do a thing, correct? Our orders (in my case, the clear black case) will just be filled with the re-branded modules when they are released, right?

Yeah...this!

?

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Could you tell us the status for the Super Game Module 4th run ?

When do you think you will be able to ship them ?

Thanks

We are working on a newsletter actually. But here is the SGM bit:

Here is the latest update report on the SGM 4th run production status:

• Boxes and manuals have been printed and are now in route to the US
  • The custom connectors have been ordered and are in production. Once the connectors are ready, they will be shipped to the PCB factory that will assemble the SGM boards. That is the final piece of the puzzle.

We are expecting the SGM 4th run to ship to pre-orders in December 2017.

• Like 3

We are working on a newsletter actually. But here is the SGM bit:

Here is the latest update report on the SGM 4th run production status:

• Boxes and manuals have been printed and are now in route to the US
  • The custom connectors have been ordered and are in production. Once the connectors are ready, they will be shipped to the PCB factory that will assemble the SGM boards. That is the final piece of the puzzle.

We are expecting the SGM 4th run to ship to pre-orders in December 2017.

Thanks for the very quick answer and for the pictures :D

And what about Gradius and Penguin Adventure 2nd run ?

Edited by Sam83

• 3 weeks later...

Pics of the new packaging...

So, I ordered one of these and probably should have ordered a second as backup. What is your current disposition about a 5th run of the Supergame Module, or will this be made mostly obsolete by the new Colecovision console?