IGNORED

Super Game Module 4th run official thread

opcode

Here is the situation: as the SGM user base grows beyond 1000, offering support becomes more time consuming. So far we have been offering life time warranty and support, but that may become a problem for us in the long run, both in terms of costs and time involved.

So from now on support will work like this:

1) Your SGM is covered for a 1 year warranty (the SGM manual states 90 days, so we are being generous here)

2) SGM and Atarimax is NOT officially supported by Opcode, even if it works

3) 3rd party games on cartridge and SGM will be supported until December 31st 2018. After that we will only support 3rd party games that have been certified by Opcode Games

So what does all of that mean? It means that:

1) we do NOT troubleshoot your SGM with non-supported stuff

2) in case you cannot verify operation of the SGM with a supported game, the only option is to send your module back for inspection

3) If upon receiving your module it is verified to be 100% functional, we will charge you a $30 inspection fee, even if your SGM is still covered by the one year warranty

I am sorry I have to do that, but I hope you guys understand that it isn't fair I must carry the burden for troubleshooting things I have no involvement or control.

• Like 4

ATARIAGE did a super professional job of shipping out the 4th run Supergame modules. The packing quality was outstanding. The pre-ordering process has been greatly improved when compared to the 2nd run. OPCODE and ATARIAGE pre-order wait time is much better with the 4th run (Pre-ordering closed in July 2017 and everyone received their 4th run SGM in April of 2018).

I am looking forward to a possible 5th SGM run in the future. With over 1,000 Supergame modules in existence and with several thousands of people using ColecoVision emulators on their PC that support SGM games, this is good news for game developers.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Hi,

I just received my SGM but I have a problem :(

The SGM is well recognized in all dedicated games. All works fine except I do not have any sound in SGM games !

The sound was and is still there in all the other Coleco games.

I tried with my PixelBoy "Knightmare" cartridge and with different roms on my Atarimax Ultimate SD.
The only 2 games that have sound are "Buck Rogers SGM" and "Zaxxon SGM" but I guess they do not use the AY-3-8910A...

I tried to change the point where I take the audio on the motherboard but the problem is still there :mad:

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sam

My config : French SECAM Colecovision with F18A Video Board

Hi,

The SGM is well recognized in all dedicated games. All works fine except I do not have any sound in SGM games !

I tried with my PixelBoy "Knightmare" cartridge and with different roms on my Atarimax Ultimate SD.

The only 2 games that have sound are "Buck Rogers SGM" and "Zaxxon SGM" but I guess they do not use the AY-3-8910A...

I tried to change the point where I take the audio on the motherboard but the problem is still there :mad:

Sam

Place the attached Supergame Module test rom in your ATARIMAX Ultimate SD cartridge. If the test passes then your SGM is working fine. If it fails, try plugging the SGM in a second ColecoVision/ADAM to verify the problem is with the SGM. Also the F18a video board might need a firmware update to fix the issue if there is some incompatibility issue using certain games.

Super Game Module Test (2013 Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez).zip

Edited by HDTV1080P

Hi,

Sam

Uh, so you mean you have modded your CV mainboard? Are you getting the correct line for sound? For SCART it isn't the same as regular NTSC CVs. So if you followed mod tutorials online, you may have been using the wrong sound line. The only way to now was if you had the Expansion Module #1 that works with CV SCART, as it uses the same sound line, or then test your module with a different CV.

I just did the SGM test and here are the results:

20180427 232346

When "Testing SGM Sound Chip"

- playing C4,E4,G4, All three > I don't have a sound

- playing + base sound chip > I have a continuous "beep" a few seconds

- let us enjoy SGM music! > I hear the music

Indeed, I modded my CV mainboard a couple of years ago but I'm not sure to have the correct line for sound.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Expansion Module #1 and no other CV console at home !

But I just searched on the Internet, and a few A/V Mod tutorials on PAL/SECAM CV use U20 Pin 7 for sound.

I will try this tomorrow and I will keep you informed of the result.

Thanks for your help.

Uh, so you mean you have modded your CV mainboard? Are you getting the correct line for sound? For SCART it isn't the same as regular NTSC CVs. So if you followed mod tutorials online, you may have been using the wrong sound line. The only way to now was if you had the Expansion Module #1 that works with CV SCART, as it uses the same sound line, or then test your module with a different CV.

See this thread for info on a mod that seemed to work on getting a stronger audio output from the RGB connector

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240611-french-secam-rgb-port-pinout/

The 2 threads also states that the simplest way to take the sound on PAL/SECAM consoles is the U20 pin 7.
I tried but that doesn't solve my problem :?

I should be able to test my SGM on a non-modded french SECAM Scart RGB CV in approximately 10-15 days to finally find out if the problem comes from my console or from my SGM.

If you can keep me 1 SGM aside until there, in case mine is defective? Thanks in advance.

I'll let you know as soon as I can test.

Thanks for your help.
Sam

The 2 threads also states that the simplest way to take the sound on PAL/SECAM consoles is the U20 pin 7.
I tried but that doesn't solve my problem :?

I should be able to test my SGM on a non-modded french SECAM Scart RGB CV in approximately 10-15 days to finally find out if the problem comes from my console or from my SGM.

If you can keep me 1 SGM aside until there, in case mine is defective? Thanks in advance.

I'll let you know as soon as I can test.

Thanks for your help.
Sam

No worries Sam. Please keep me updated. :)

I'd you look at the audio circuit picture on that link it gives a better idea of what needs to be done.

If you tap the audio directly from the sound chip, the expansion audio (sgm and exp. Mod 1) will not sound correct. You need to tap the audio on the other side of the capacitors that are mixing the 2 audios.

UPDATE: all sold out now.

I still have 1 copy of Guardic and 8 7 5 4 1 copies of Penguin Wars available. Both are limited editions Color Line games with only 40 copies made, and once they are gone, they are gone. They come complete with box and instructions card.

Also have 2 1 copies of Boggy 84 and 3 2 1 copies of Cabbage Patch Kids (the MSX version) left. Those are grey line games limited editions, 40 copies each, no more will be made. We did those to help with Grazi moving to the US last year. Come with box and cartridge.

All games are $70 each, free shipping included within the US. All games but Cabbage Patch Kids require the Super Game Module.

If you would be interested, please contact me at eduardo [at] opcodegames [dot] com.

You may have covered this already, but I was pretty late to the party for all of this, so I don't have SGM games yet. I've been too busy with other things the last couple of weeks, so the SGM is still sitting in it's box. Does it have any kind of self test? I don't have a multicart yet to try a game that needs the SGM.

You may have covered this already, but I was pretty late to the party for all of this, so I don't have SGM games yet. I've been too busy with other things the last couple of weeks, so the SGM is still sitting in it's box. Does it have any kind of self test? I don't have a multicart yet to try a game that needs the SGM.

No, the SGM has no self test unfortunately. But they were all tested twice (by me and AA) before shipping.

I'd you look at the audio circuit picture on that link it gives a better idea of what needs to be done.

If you tap the audio directly from the sound chip, the expansion audio (sgm and exp. Mod 1) will not sound correct. You need to tap the audio on the other side of the capacitors that are mixing the 2 audios.

Thanks Bmack36 ;) !

I will try tomorrow.

Nanochess released an SGM Test Utility that can be placed on the AtariMax Ultimate SD or 128-in-1 MultiCarts if you have one of those.

Super Game Module Tester (2013) (Nanochess).rom

I did the test today with the audio taken after the resistor but still no SGM sound :(

I will keep you updated as soon as I can test with another console...

• Like 1

Audio bug problem with the Super Game Module when used on a Standalone ADAM computer while using the standard composite video and audio output

I just got around to running tests on the fourth generation Super Game Module (I have always used a Windows Emulator before when playing ColecoVision games that required the SGM).

First let me start out by saying that none of my Coleco equipment has been internally modified, everything is intact since the original 1982,1983, 1984, and 1985 Coleco design coming off the assembly line. The Super Game Module works perfectly fine with the standalone black ColecoVision, and also the Super Game Module works fine with the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer attached. However, when the Super Game Module is attached to the Standalone ADAM computer there is a compatibility problem when using the standard composite video and audio output. The Super Game Module sound chip cannot be heard at all when using the dedicated audio output on the DIN jack for the standalone ADAM computer. The work around to the problem is to use the standalone ADAM computers RF channel 3 and 4 output so that the Super Game Module audio chip can be heard.

In the future on the fifth generation Super Game Module run, it would be ideal if OPCODE games were able to fix this audio bug with the Super Game Module when used on the standalone ADAM computer

The standalone ADAM computer has better composite video and audio quality when compared to the RF channel 3 and 4 output. If it were technically possible, it would be ideal if the Super Game Module could work from the standalone ADAM computers audio output instead of being forced to use the RF channel 3 and 4 output with the Super Game Module. Now if its not possible for OPCODE Games to make this audio bug go away with a slight change to the Super Game Module design, then hopefully the instruction manual well be revised to tell people to only use RF channel 3 and 4 output when the standalone ADAM computer is being used.

Coleco when they designed the standalone ADAM computer also had an audio problem when the Expansion Module #1 Atari 2600 adapter was attached. One could not hear the audio at all on Atari 2600 games or the audio was very low and distorted using the dedicated audio output. The work around was to use the RF channel 3 and 4 output so the audio could be heard without distortion for Atari 2600 games.

Now most likely if everyone were to open up their standalone ADAM computer and get out the soldering iron, then modifications can be made that most likely would fix both the Super Game Module audio issue and the Expansion Module #1 audio issue. However if there was some way for OPCODE games to make a modification to the coming soon fifth generation Super Game Module so that the sound chip could be heard from both the RF output and the dedicated audio output with composite video, then that would be ideal.

Coleco should have fixed this audio issue with the standalone ADAM computer, but even the latest version in 1985 still has this technical problem. I wonder if anything audio related that is plugged into the side expansion port of the standalone ADAM computer well always have this issue? What if OPCODE games decides to come out with the Intellivision adapter? Is the Intellivision adapter going to have audio issues unless one uses the RF channel 3 and 4 output on the standalone ADAM computer (or makes internal modifications to the ADAM)?

Edited by HDTV1080P

As has been discussed thousands of times, the issue is how Coleco tapped into the audio output for the 7-pin DIN Auxillary Port (Composite Video with audio) and there is nothing Opcode can do re. the SGM to circumvent the low volume output. The user has to make the correction on the CV Delta Board inside the Adam to draw sound at location C88.

Eve Electronics even got it wrong with the first Composite Video with Audio mod kit for the CV that they released in 1985/86 because they based their mod for the CV on what they saw in the Adam.

And for that matter, numerous early mods for the CV were incorrectly tapping into the audio and all these experience the low volume output with devices that attach to the Expansion Interface of the CV and provide their own sound output.

Edited by NIAD

Man, have you contacted Grazi about that? I have some 8 or so remaining SGM paper boxes here taking valuable space, so please let her know you are still waiting and your current address, and I will ship ASAP. :)

Hey Eduardo,

sorry to bother you with that, I emailed Grazi several times but I got no answer since then :-/

I sent you a DM, can you check your box please? My french coleco is waiting baaadly for her 2 Sgms :D

Hey Eduardo,

sorry to bother you with that, I emailed Grazi several times but I got no answer since then :-/

I sent you a DM, can you check your box please? My french coleco is waiting baaadly for her 2 Sgms :D

Hi,

Sorry, I'm not in charge of the emails anymore, but I'll ask Ed to check your situation. =)