IGNORED

Atari ET and the crash

2600problems

Foxsolo,

Easy to play difficult to master ​is still a great formula for Atari Games and ET has this reversed because you must study the manual to play and then, it's not very challenging just complex.

ET is not a good yardstick by which to judge new games and even if you don't realize it you bring ET with you whenever you suggest new games should follow it's design - I'd like to see you actually beat Starfleet Simulation instead of dismissing the game as too simple.

You could use ET to critique all of my games except for a few I wrote in the 80's that went into the trashcan because they were some combination of too difficult to play and not challenging enough; you usually didn't see those releases except as Public Domain games.

I must be one of the few people who never needed to study the manual for ET as it was never that hard for me. I actually enjoyed the game when it came out and falling into pits was never as hard as so many claimed. Yes it could be frustrating but the pits were also very handy for taking a break without ever the fear of losing a life. ET was never the reason for the crash nor was it the sole reason for the demise of Atari but it has been done to death for years and all I said was let it go and discuss something new.

I must be one of the few people who never needed to study the manual for ET as it was never that hard for me. I actually enjoyed the game when it came out and falling into pits was never as hard as so many claimed. Yes it could be frustrating but the pits were also very handy for taking a break without ever the fear of losing a life. ET was never the reason for the crash nor was it the sole reason for the demise of Atari but it has been done to death for years and all I said was let it go and discuss something new.

I agree ET did not cause the crash because it was just one game; home computers were competing in the same space and began flooding the market like Pong systems had done in the 70's.

I think fans of ET's gameplay wish to see similar complexity while other Atari fans prefer simple and challenging.

WARPDRIVE_AFP.bin

• Like 1

I just copied and pasted this quote from another post i replied to. It is my quote, though lol, I just think it would go better here.

I'm tired of people saying "E.T. is the worst game ever made!" And "E.T. caused the video game crash!" Neither of those statements can be considered a fact whatsoever as some people claim they are. First, the worst game ever made does not exist, as it is merely personal opinions that would rate that. I think it's not nearly as bad, and can name MANY games I personally find far worse (Firefly, Haunted House, etc.) but that is just my opinion. Secondly, is is impossible that one game would have caused the entire crash of the early 80s. It was a mixture of MANY different cheap and terrible titles released in bulk for nothing else but making profit. There were no rules or standards in the industry yet, and it was bound to happen at the rate things were going.

• Like 1

i disagree. play gorf for the atari 5200.

if you need further proof, play Daikatana or Pac man for the atari 2600

need further proof? play catfight for ps1

case closed

As someone stated earlier and is obvious, naming one single "worst game," be it Superman 64 or some other game, is impossible. There has been a ton of crap in 40+ years. Depending upon the metrics you might use, ET for the Atari 2600 is definitely among the worst games of all time. And obviously, nearly every game (and system) has its fans and/or super fans. It's no different than any other form of media.

I heard they had to dump the E.T. games into some landfill. Was that true?

(ducks)

No, there was a caravan of semi's carrying ET carts to a special delivery when suddenly they got taken out and buried by a mudslide while travelling through New Mexico...

• Like 2

Lots of factors contributed to the crash, and some of them didn't even have to do with Atari. Here are a few off the top of my head:

-Intellivision never delivered promised peripherals (such as a keyboard) to consumers. I think a lawsuit resulted from this.

-It was a new technology that many people (including some in the industry) considered a fad. Many consumers (mainly parents) didn't understand why they should ever want to buy another game console. In other words, why would I buy an Atari 5200 or Colecovision if I already own an Atari VCS or Intellivision?

-If you buy the line that Coleco purposely crapped the bed on its ports for other systems (I don't), there were quite a few high-profile ports that delivered below expectations. It doesn't look good when high expectation games like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. in addition to Pac-Man and Defender fail to deliver.

I'm thinking of writing a feature on my blog about the parallels between early rock 'n roll and the first and second generation of home consoles. Both came in with a bang and then, for a number of reasons, went underground for a short period before entering an even more hugely successful era that went on for decades (in other words the Beatles = the NES).

• Like 1

-If you buy the line that Coleco purposely crapped the bed on its ports for other systems (I don't), there were quite a few high-profile ports that delivered below expectations. It doesn't look good when high expectation games like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. in addition to Pac-Man and Defender fail to deliver.

I no longer believe Coleco did this, but it the time the common perception was they purposely made DK worse than it could have been. I would still argue that a few small changes could make it feel more polished.

Also think back to all the excitement around 81-82 about your favorite arcade games coming to the 2600. It was a big deal at the time. Then by 82/83, most of the big games were ported and some of them were huge letdowns. So there was a period of disillusionment with a lack of big-name future ports to be excited for. I think this caused people to lose enthusiasm, spend less or drop out of gaming altogether (for awhile).

Edited by zzip

I'm thinking of writing a feature on my blog about the parallels between early rock 'n roll and the first and second generation of home consoles. Both came in with a bang and then, for a number of reasons, went underground for a short period before entering an even more hugely successful era that went on for decades (in other words the Beatles = the NES).

And dot-coms too!

I think you can find a pattern of something new coming along, getting too hot for its own good, have a crash/period of backlash before ultimately becoming a permanent fixture.

• Like 1

ET and Pacman were failures because Atari paid too much for the rights to make the games not because they called bad games.

Pacman was not a failure, at least in Europe for all my friends bought it and played the Hell out of it. They even used it as an add in game which boosted sales so it was far from being a failure.

Pacman was not a failure, at least in Europe for all my friends bought it and played the Hell out of it. They even used it as an add in game which boosted sales so it was far from being a failure.

Certainly not a commercial failure.

But many would say a 'critical failure'

• Like 1