IGNORED

Bad Apple by R0ger

R0ger

I flashed this to an AtariMax 8mbit cart, and fired it up on my NTSC 130xe. Worked great!

Final picture looked awesome, so no complaints here. :)

I'm also interested in the NTSC version, but would like something that can work on something like the SIDE or SIDE2. Is this possible, and if so how would I make that happen? I also have the U1MB, so plenty of RAM available if that helps.

- Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Very impressive R0ger! I always liked karoke songs on the A8 (thanks Gary Gilbertson). R0ger - Thanks so much for bringing more joy to the Atari 8bit :).

P.S. Looks like the extra clock speed of the A8 really helps here vs. other 8bitters..

EDIT: My DNS doesn't resolve atariklub.cz -- can someone post the IP? I just want to check out their website..

Edited by Xebec

I'd be cool if you could make this song -that for some reason reminds me to "Waves" from Alternate Reality:

https://youtu.be/47-tIddtDr0

- Y -

Sorry for OT - but now I want to play A.R.on the A8!. The Atari 8bit has so much personality...

One question - I know the hardware is 6 years newer - but how does the Sega Master System end up with both better resolution and smoother than the A8 ?

Is it the fact that the SMS has dedicated VRAM?

(POKEY + Karoke = win still though.. :) )

That's a 4 Meg Rom image that compresses down to 2.7 Meg in the archive file.

SMS has a 4 MHz Z80 so can shift data around somewhat quicker than the Atari. Also it uses 256x192 resolution so can potentially need to move less around.

I suspect it is using that extra space to deliver better resolution and framerate.

It would be interesting to see an Atari version which uses similar amount of Rom though I'm not sure a physical cartridge exists with more than 1 Meg of flash.

• Like 1

Hm .. more ROM wouldn't help. Unless you go full uncompressed and Atari CPU does nothing. In that case everything is easy and you can play 256 color video at 50/60 fps.

But I think my RLE decompression is pretty close to what's possible. At 256x96. And that's like the easiest possible and simple to optimize compression. I can go 256x192, but at lets say 7fps. That seems too choppy for me. And it wouldn't even need more ROM - as it will have less frames. Atari certainly can't do what Sega does. And who know if the Sega version uses Sega CPU.

• Like 1

the mastersytem also has a tile-mapped screen with X/Y flipping, so in addition to not having to write so much to the screen, you can probably avoid a lot of tile uploads by flipping existing tiles to get more usage out of them and avoid VRAM uploads.

It's quite an underrated machine I think - it blows the NES away technically

• Like 1

• 1 year later...