IGNORED

Blastem - Sega Genesis Emulator

-^CrossBow^-

Just ran across this at Sega-16. Apparently there is a new emu for the Sega Genesis. It claims to have same compatibility level as other emus and even a few more they don't. I do know that it can run Titan's latest Overdrive 2 demo. Additionally, this might just have some of the most accurate 2612 sound I've heard from an emulator.

Sadly I can't do much other than provide the link from Sega-16 since my own login information has been lost over there LOL!

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32389-BlastEm-0-5-0-Released

• Like 2

What I'd like to see in an emulator, although I'm not sure it's even possible, but it should be, is an "overclock" mechanism.

Mainly, for the reason of giving the 3D Polygonal titles on the Genesis a decent frame rate.

I can't help but think that with overclocking these games would play much better.

When sonic turns around there's only 2 frames because that's all that's programmed.

When I turn my helicopter around in Steel Talons, there's only 2 frames because the poor genny can't draw all the frames of animation as the helicopter rotates...

unless maybe I find an open field with no enemies/hills/terrain/basically no other polygons at all.

I don't expect the games to run smooth as butter, but even 15-20 fps would be bearable compared to how most run now... most... there are some good ones.

And then the good ones, (say Abrams Battle Tank or LHX Attack Chopper) would now go from running decent enough to running REALLY smoothly.

A man can dream... a man can dream

Edited by Torr
  • Like 2

I tried this emulator earlier. It needs serious work. Who's idea was it to use a Genesis ROM as the interface, anyway? I'll be sticking with Fusion, me thinks.

For sure it has its issues and the interface isn't good no. I also don't like how it uses some sort of scaling if you bring the emu maxmized. It also doesn't remember your rom's selection folder etc so every time you want to change roms, you have to point all the way back to your folder. It will default to your local apps folder for some reason. It does need a lot of work no doubt, but then all Emus had to start somewhere right?

I wish them the best and hope to see this get more fleshed out interface wise. If you do use this emu...this is what I have figured out:

Enter = Start

A,B,C = A,S,D

Quit back to menu selection = Esc

That's really about all I've figured out so far. But it has ran every rom I've told it to play without any issues or slowdown that I could detect. It also seems to auto detect region as both the original Titan Overdrive demo and Overdrive 2 demos run at a locked 50fps, whereas normal NTSC games are running at or nearly at 60fps. There is a FPS indicated while running the emu.

what was wrong with Genesis emulation that there was a need for another one? The genesis has been sorted emulation wise for almost two decades now.

In a sense you are correct. But there are still some games that never sounded quite right, and some of the newer demos and homebrews are exceeding the limits of what the emus that have been out there could currently do. That just goes to show that the genesis hardware still has tricks up its sleeve that the emu developers never knew about or understood fully.

• 3 months later...

What I'd like to see in an emulator, although I'm not sure it's even possible, but it should be, is an "overclock" mechanism.

I agree! I've seen videos for the Mega Drive overclocking mod @10mhz and it makes the "slower" arcade ports like Super Hang On actually look and play fast like the orginal coin-ops. That would be a great feature for any emulator...

• Like 1

Who's idea was it to use a Genesis ROM as the interface, anyway?

I haven't tried it yet and will take your word on it needing work. I was curious what was meant by this ... cute idea, though probably not super practical.

BlastEm 0.4.0 and later includes an experimental Genesis ROM based UI. In other words, the UI itself is actually a Genesis ROM running inside the emulator. It is useable with both the mouse and the first emulated gamepad, which is mapped to both the keyboard and first connected gamepad by default. Not all features are currently exposed via the GUI at this time so some features requiring invoking BlastEm via the command line or a launcher that can pass command line parameterss. For a list of all command line options, run blastem -h. For more details on the various options and information on editing the configuration file see the included README.

I agree! I've seen videos for the Mega Drive overclocking mod @10mhz and it makes the "slower" arcade ports like Super Hang On actually look and play fast like the orginal coin-ops. That would be a great feature for any emulator...

I don't know about Windows emulators, but it's available in one of the cores of NeoGensGX on the classic Xbox. Seems to work well, too, unless you run into a game that's counting CPU cycles, then it runs too fast.

• 3 weeks later...