IGNORED

Colecovision and vertical lines on left edge of Sprites

RTBaker

Hi,

I have just spent a few weeks bringing an old ColecoVision back from the dead. It was a flea-bay purchase and had a dead power supply, faulty video memory, a dodgy power switch and a broken cartridge connector!.

Anyways, I have replaced the memory - now 5V only, repaired the power switch, replaced the cartridge connector and it now runs OK from a 5V power supply with a 5V to 12V (Pololu U3V50ALV) up converter inside the case.

The problem I now have is that I am getting vertical lines on the sprites as shown in the attachments. Its fine when the games startup in text mode but appears as soon as a sprite is present.

I have attached some photos of the problem.

Can anyone help and point me in the direction of the problem please?

Thanks very much for your help.

post-54854-0-17917000-1496759603_thumb.jpg

post-54854-0-49910700-1496759664_thumb.jpg

post-54854-0-36764500-1496759740_thumb.jpg

post-54854-0-24571100-1496759809_thumb.jpg

post-54854-0-82475700-1496759842_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Was going to say something similar. Since you upgraded/replaced the vram. Double check all of your connections and traces. I won't lie, I killed 2 other CVs before I was successful in doing the +5 ram upgrade. The damn traces just come up so easily and damn near impossible to track down and fix after the fact.

I hope you made those RAM socketed, if you soldered the RAM and you had to resolder, you risk more damage to the fragile traces.

When I did my mod, I used my meter and tested from the top of the chip's pins so I could both verify the connection is good and to find bad trace or just bad socket connection. All of the address lines are the same but data lines are separate.

A lot of probing but saved me the trouble later on when I found a couple broken connections.

I did put in sockets so I was able to check out all of the memory lines between the memories and to the graphics chip - they were all OK.

I then thought to check out the power supply I was using and found that it tops out at 500mA so I changed it for the 1.5A unit I use with my Raspberry Pi.

With the new power supply all is well and all of the lines have disappeared!

Thanks very much for all the suggestions and help