IGNORED

2600 homebrew for showcasing on our website

DirtyHairy

• 2 months later...

Hello DirtyHairy. Nice project!

Have you heard about Javatari? http://javatari.org

Paulo

Thanks, Paolo. Unfortunately, I don't have much time for private software projects at the moment, so there is currently not much progress on 6502.ts, but this will change again eventually. As for your question: jep, I do know javatari, although I didn't when I started 6502.ts three years ago --- our two emulators are completely independent developments :)

Edited by DirtyHairy

Yes, completely. Although we started them having more or less the same motivations in mind!

Don't know about that :) Mine started very much as a toy project for working with Typescript and to explore modern JS performance. I added VCS emulation for nostalgia (my first computer was a VCS) and to have some simple (a bit naive in hindsight ;) ) hardware to emulate. It was when I realized how tricky and fascinating the TIA is that I got drawn in and started to work on VCS emulation more seriously.

Edited by DirtyHairy

Yes, more or less...

I started mine for the challenge of implementing my own emulator, to create an online and multiplatform alternative, and also because I wanted do learn JS.

After the VCS, I had an MSX computer where I learned to code. Very very nice machine, most common in Europe and Japan and not so much in the USA. So I also did http://webmsx.org.

Regards

I was impressed at the quality of emulation for 6502.ts. I tried it with my WIP homebrew, and all of the things that I thought might not display correctly worked perfectly. Playing with a non-limited framerate also proved to be quite amusing. :-)

Thanks alot :) The TIA core in Stella 5 is a port of the 6502.ts core, and we have invested a lot of work over the last year in improving the emulation. I think no emulator will ever be 100% accurate, and I know some edge cases where the emulation definitely is off , but I think it is safe to say that the 6502.ts / Stella 5 core is currently the most sophisticated TIA emulation out there in terms of accuracy. At this point, the aspects of 6502.ts with most potential for improvement are memory access patterns in CPU emulation (which aren't always 100% perfect, that's why Pole Position is glitched) and audio (which is not accurate enough to emulate PCM bitbanging like in Pitfall! 2, Quadrun or modern DPC+ music).

Edited by DirtyHairy