IGNORED

ReplayFX Arcade & Video Game Festival 7/27-30/17

VectorGamer

Gamers behind the Replay Foundation & PAPA are taking over the David L. Lawrence Convention Center and filling it with more than 750 arcade and pinball machines, over 2,000 retro console games, tabletop games, a showcase of new products by game developers, magicians, live musicians, balloon artists, face-painters, competitions offering over $110,000 in prize money, and more!

The ReplayFX Arcade & Video Game Festival will feature the largest public collection of working pinball, arcade, tabletop, and console games anywhere in the solar system, and all games are free to play with the price of admission! Attendees are also invited to attend a series of seminars dedicated to gaming and its associated tech-culture, browse merchandise in the marketplace, watch the world’s greatest pinball wizards compete in the Pinburgh Match-Play Championship, or enjoy a series of fun and wacky daily challenges at no additional cost!

ReplayFX will include multiple live musical performances, a high-energy cosplay contest, inflatable obstacle courses, and more in a show floor packed with over 200,000 square feet of entertainment! Over $110,000 will be at stake for the competitive player. Thousands of games will be available for the casual fan. A family-friendly atmosphere will be available for the kids, and no one has to leave the galaxy to attend!

http://replayfx.org/

I will be there for the third straight year. And they have a pinball tournament Saturday and Sunday open to all players:

In addition to the much larger Pinburgh Match-Play Pinball Championship, ReplayFX includes a second WPPR-eligible pinball tournament open to all players. This tournament has been structured in a way to give anyone who desires more competitive pinball during the ReplayFX weekend a chance to continue playing, and also as a way to solicit donations for a group of charities hand-picked by the Replay Foundation staff. The tournament format will be Limited Best Game.

In exchange for a $10 donation toward one of the charities listed below, each player will receive 10 tickets, with each ticket representing one game on a qualifying machine. Players may not purchase additional tickets, which makes this tournament “limited” when compared to other Best Game or “Herb”-style pinball tournaments. The available qualifying bank will consist of 12 pinball machines drawn from all eras.

Qualifying scoring will follow standard PAPA World Championship procedures:

1st place on a qualifying machine will equal 100 points, 2nd will equal 90 points, 3rd will equal 85 points, 4th will equal 84 points, and so on. The sum of points from the player’s best scores on 4 games will be used to rank players throughout the qualifying portion of the tournament. Only a player’s best score on each machine will be counted.

This is an IFPA endorsed tournament; anyone is eligible to play.

http://replayfx.org/competitions/intergalactic/

Back to the Old School: Retro Gamers Gear Up for ReplayFX in Pittsburgh

http://thenerdstash.com/old-school-gamers-replayfx-pittsburgh/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This will be my third year there. Going Thursday - Saturday this time.

Given the games have been the same my prior two years there, I can't wait to play Black Widow, Discs of Tron, Zookeeper, S.T.U.N. Runner and Red Baron (environmental cab!). Black Widow may be my second-most favorite arcade game but I have only been able to find it at Replay. If somebody would bring an I, Robot machine some year, may life may finally be complete. Also, hundreds of pinball machines (though pinball is all kind of the same to me).

Strangely enough, one very little thing I will do there that I always do is: go to concession counter, get a soft pretzel stick, grab a table and just watch the happy people around me doing whatever they like. The best thing is seeing enthusiastic kids playing games their parents are showing from their own childhood. That, for me, is the essence of the expo in a single, zen-life moment. It makes me deeply happy.

Only minor downside this year is the seminars are not as appealing to me as previous years. Last year, Steve Golson signed my 7800. Don't think I'll bring anything to have signed this year.

If you're looking to play pinball, don't go until Sunday. Over half the machines will be in the Pinburgh tournament from thurs-sat.

I plan on playing in the arcade tournament Thursday and Friday and then the pinball tournament on Saturday.

Only 1-1/2 weeks away! Next week at this time they will be moving machines into the convention center.

• 2 weeks later...

Another year, another ReplayFX come and gone.

I think I will take a pass on next year's and try to instead make it to one of the larger expos. I simply feel I have maxed this out.

Thoughts:

- Layout has been slightly improved each year

- Other aspects were less organized. Check-in Thursday morning was a mess. Trying to notify somebody of broken machines was often difficult and was met with only a shrug when I asked at the info table. And I should have reported an employee (!) who immediately started a second round of a game while I was in line behind him.

- Marketplace used to be my favorite part, but has been less rewarding each year. Still, I walked away with a working Bally Astrocade in mint condition with 2 NIB controllers and 16 carts.

- Marketplace used to be my favorite part, but has been less rewarding each year. Still, I walked away with a working Bally Astrocade in mint condition with 2 NIB controllers and 16 carts.

Since this show started, I never thought there was any emphasis on the marketplace. The emphasis seems to be on playing games in the tournaments and free play area.

I thought it was another great show. I got to compete in the Replay World Championship video game tournament and won $75 for qualifying for the finals.

Next year I'd like to compete in Pinburgh and the Replay World Championship. I just need to be aware of when they post info for signups for Pinburgh.

As I suspected, the queues for the Intergalactic Pinball tournament were insanely long and I didn't bother trying to enter that tournament. Most queues were more than 10 players deep. And I know from Pinfest in Allentown this year where the queue for Whitewater was 12 players deep I waited 1-1/2 hours for my turn.

Another year, another ReplayFX come and gone.

I think I will take a pass on next year's and try to instead make it to one of the larger expos. I simply feel I have maxed this out.

Did you attend any Seminars this year? I watched part of CGR (Mark) and all of Warren Davis, which was interesting and not the exact same as his presentation last year.

Personally, I had a fun time and attending only Friday and Saturday was enough for me. I enjoyed the world championships, I qualified for finals but skipped out on the actual final rounds to do other things. I liked this year's game selection in the camps better than last year's. There were Asteroids, Super Pac-Man, Vanguard, Joust, Popeye, Mr. Do, Space Invaders, Gorf. The thing is, you do not want to be still playing Saturday 2 pm thru 5 pm because it's queued up and crowded and waiting for your turn is annoying. Better to play on Thurs and Friday.

Marketplace vendors were the same as other years and I wasn't looking for anything, but I did unload my Master System to a vendor for a fair price, which paid for my 2 days admission fees and a couple beers.

I also had fun playing in the console contests, MUSHA (I won a tshirt) and Soul Calibur. I played another guy several rounds of vf2 and played lots of Hang On and Pinball machines like twilight zone and Funhouse.

The marketplace was bigger two years ago (though a bit of a mess--not all in one place). There was a guy selling game flyers then who I wish would return.

As somebody with zero interest in pinball or arcade tournaments, I am primarily there to play. And I was there Thursday through Saturday. Thursday was great as nobody was there. Finally played S.T.U.N. Runner to the end. Since my high scores were still there from last year, I wonder if my #1 score from this time will still be there in 2018.

Loved the seminars last year, when I saw Ed Fries, Steve Golson and Waren Davis. Was unaware Davis was doing a different presentation, so I missed out on that.

But cosplay, music, board games and competitions? Meh. Just give me a ton of freely available machines and shit to buy and I'm happy.

• 11 months later...

Bump.

Anybody attending the 2018 replayfx? It appears the video game world championships wont be happening this year, no mention of it.

The arcade tournament was removed because "lack of interest."

I will be there playing in Pinburgh. I was hoping to play in the arcade tournament when I was done with Pinburgh. Oh well...

• Like 1

How did you learn this? I searched, could not find a forum or discussion about it.

I will probably go at least 1 day this year. Speaking of lack of interest, Im surprised there are any seminars this year. Attendance was incredibly light in the past 2 years. I felt sorry for the speakers. Of course good ole CGR Mark has signed up again.

I'll be going for my second year.

Sucks to hear that the arcade tournament isn't going to happen, even if I didn't compete it was still at least neat to see going on like Pinburgh. Past that I like what they have listed so far, I'll be interested with the seminars as yeah turnouts last year weren't very big with it not being trouble to come a bit late and find a seat but they still were fun - there's a few people on the list who I'd like to hear anyways.

Edited by BurritoBeans

I'm looking forward to it and every year it seems like the show is over before it started - it goes by quick.

But I've already decided that I'm not going to play in Pinburgh next year. I need to save my vacation time for something else - like a week at a beach or lake and do a whole lot of nothing. I think next year I'll just drive out Saturday morning and leave Sunday night.