IGNORED

NTSC core for VBXE?

Joey Z

17 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

All of the discussion this past summer was for a core with an NTSC palette; it was never really about any memory expansion. 

I understand that, but my assumption is that since the current VBXE has the cores with and without the memory expansion, that the palette isn't affected by the memory part of the core, and that part won't change, and both can be generated like current versions of the cores.  However, if it can't be done, I'm not going to let that hold up the NTSC core update.

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

So, as long as you still have the original video, you can still use it for artifacting with the VBXE installed, but that's assuming you're using an original CRT display, correct? I was thinking that artifacting didn't work, even when using composite, if your display was, say, a newer Samsung LCD TV. Am I wrong in that assumption?

I even had it working with my projector.

55 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Here you go:

I'd show it on real hardware but I need to clear the desk. Will be available when the firmware is released, hopefully in a few days.

Nice!  Now do I update firmware when released and potentially lose my Rapidus plugin?  Or stay and not have NTSC colors.... decisions decisions...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leech said:

Nice!  Now do I update firmware when released and potentially lose my Rapidus plugin?

I'll include the Rapidus core enable/disable for anyone for whom its absence creates problems. I'm just not going to advertise it on the website any more or develop Rapidus drivers, etc.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, flashjazzcat said:

I'll include the Rapidus core enable/disable for anyone for whom its absence creates problems. I'm just not going to advertise it on the website any more or develop Rapidus drivers, etc.

Nice.  Don't blame you with the random issues.  Seems just some magic allows it to work in some cases.

• Haha 1

Thank you Jonathan! This looks like it will work beautifully.

When making this setting in the U1M menu like this, I'm assuming the option stays selected through power down, reboots, etc.? Since it doesn't look like you need to make a call or run any sort of driver beforehand, would this setting would stay selected even when running from a cartridge or a multi-cart?

I look forward to seeing this available in a future version of the U1M firmware.

8 hours ago, bfollowell said:

When making this setting in the U1M menu like this, I'm assuming the option stays selected through power down, reboots, etc.? Since it doesn't look like you need to make a call or run any sort of driver beforehand, would this setting would stay selected even when running from a cartridge or a multi-cart?

Yes: it's persistent and completely system-wide. The effect is exactly the same as physically changing the palette in the VBXE firmware; it's applied at power-on and lasts until power-off. It also works with the GTIA emulaton core (as well as the FX core).

8 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I look forward to seeing this available in a future version of the U1M firmware.

Release is imminent. I have ended up with a queue of recently upgraded machines on the desk which all require the new firmware, and consequently owners waiting for their stuff back. I'm thankful for their patience, since I still don't have a Sophia 2 of my own, and thus cannot develop some of the plugins once the Sophia 2 machine is sent back (until my board turns up).

• 5 months later...
48 minutes ago, wildstar87 said:

Any idea when we might be seeing this core palette change, for those of us that aren't using this with U1MB?

I finally gave up and just converted my 1088XLD to PAL. But now with Jon's latest U1MB firmware I can get the best of both worlds - NTSC colors for games and stuff that "need" it for my lifelong experience, PAL compatibility with all the amazing PAL-only demos and music stuff.

But yeah, for the relatively small number of folks using VBXE and *not* also using U1MB on an NTSC machine, it would be nice. @candle is probably pretty busy though with the upcoming external U1MB that @lotharek has shown, plus a JED update to Incognito, plus who knows how many other things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

I finally gave up and just converted my 1088XLD to PAL. But now with Jon's latest U1MB firmware I can get the best of both worlds - NTSC colors for games and stuff that "need" it for my lifelong experience, PAL compatibility with all the amazing PAL-only demos and music stuff.

But yeah, for the relatively small number of folks using VBXE and *not* also using U1MB on an NTSC machine, it would be nice. @candle is probably pretty busy though with the upcoming external U1MB that @lotharek has shown, plus a JED update to Incognito, plus who knows how many other things.

Whoa!  I am a bit on the buzzed side, but an external U1MB?  How does that work?  PBI?  Sounds awesome.

• 9 months later...

I am so glad I found this thread!

I actually thought my Atari 1200xl was broken.  Turns out I just had the PAL color palette.

And, even though I've had this VBXE equipped machine for years, I've always just maxed out the tint, trying to make the green screen more blue.

Since this 1200XL does have a u1mb, after discovering this thread, I simply update the firmware, and I've finally got the palette issue solved!

Well anyway, just dropping a note to say "BIG THANKS!"

I don't like screen issues.  So for 6 years I've actually been quite annoyed with the screen, and basically didn't use the machine for that reason.  It's finally solved!!!! WOOOT!!!!!

also, on an unrelated subject I also recently purchased a drive, and it was causing noise on the screen....turns out for whatever the system wants that drive to have super clean power.  Super clean power - and no noise on the screen.....that was yet another small hiccup, but I've ordered a special super clean linear power supply and we'll see....I may be finally joining the club of people with a working setup :). oh goodness.  Well truth be told I could've had a working "simpler" setup for a long time, I just like lots of extra's in my machine.

30 minutes ago, Mark2008 said:

I am so glad I found this thread!

I actually thought my Atari 1200xl was broken.  Turns out I just had the PAL color palette.

And, even though I've had this VBXE equipped machine for years, I've always just maxed out the tint, trying to make the green screen more blue.

Since this 1200XL does have a u1mb, after discovering this thread, I simply update the firmware, and I've finally got the palette issue solved!

Well anyway, just dropping a note to say "BIG THANKS!"

I don't like screen issues.  So for 6 years I've actually been quite annoyed with the screen, and basically didn't use the machine for that reason.  It's finally solved!!!! WOOOT!!!!!

also, on an unrelated subject I also recently purchased a drive, and it was causing noise on the screen....turns out for whatever the system wants that drive to have super clean power.  Super clean power - and no noise on the screen.....that was yet another small hiccup, but I've ordered a special super clean linear power supply and we'll see....I may be finally joining the club of people with a working setup :). oh goodness.  Well truth be told I could've had a working "simpler" setup for a long time, I just like lots of extra's in my machine.

Very nice!  I have several machines that are fit for a VBXE/U1MB/Rapidus upgrade... but seeing as how things have become a pain to ship, and it sounds like TBA is no longer doing mod work... I'd likely have to follow FJC's excellent guides and have the patience and time to install them myself... but the 1200XL would just be very nice with the set up!

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2021 at 4:47 PM, flashjazzcat said:

I could probably implement a solution for U1MB users soon involving a soft loaded palette at boot time since the new U1MB firmware supports 2KB plugins. I guess there's enough room for 768 bytes of data there.

@flashjazzcat,

Is it possible to create a plugin for changing the PAL/NTSC/alt palettes for SIDE3.1, which could work stand-alone without Ultimate 1MB?

22 minutes ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

Is it possible to create a plugin for changing the PAL/NTSC/alt palettes for SIDE3.1, which could work stand-alone without Ultimate 1MB?

There's nothing stopping anyone from writing a stand-alone executable to install any palette they want, but it's invariably going to require running said tool in some way or another. The next version of the SIDE3 loader will be 'silently' started in order to mount persistent images (ATRs, carts), but this will require the intervention of U1MB anyway. SDX users could run an executable via AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS at boot time, though. It's not quite such an elegant solution unless the palette is installed before the display first comes up, however, and only U1MB or a patched OS is capable of doing that. Given that U1MB also provides a convenient way to configure the VBXE base address, my advice to anyone who wants that and a soft-loaded palette is to install the device which already provides both facilities.

• Like 2

Zrzutekranu2023-08-26o18_56_57.thumb.png.8af5a22e72d3f60a9aec2d2c4ca7f4e5.png

I keep trying to understand why Electron can't compile a version with the NTSC palette, without all that NTSC Artifacting. After all, there is the 1.26 core with an alternative palette, and everyone in the Polish demo scene is using this core. I'm talking about the Rocky palette core.

• Like 1

The point of contention seems not to be inserting an alternative palette, but getting it compiled using obsolete tools. I note the alternate palette cores date from seven years ago.

Not that I have any idea why obsolete tools can't be used in a Windows XP VM, etc. I have about as much idea of what's involved in compiling the VBXE core as anyone else speculating about it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drac030 said:

As about SDX users, I could also embed the NTSC palette into the VBXE drivers (it gets reloaded at every reset/GR.0 etc.), but the problem is that I do not have the palette definition (and for PAL, I do, it is the same as in the original FX core).

You have mail. :)

• Like 2