IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

My guess is atari's latest attempt at coming back from the dead. I heard the US portion of Atari was recently (as in the last few years) attempting to sever connections from whoever the heck owns it now, in an attempt to bring the company back to some portion of it's former glory. I'm also guessing it's not going to work very well, but I can't tell until I see whatever it is they have planned. If it's anything like the flashback consoles that they already did, I think it's just not going to do much for them. They have had like 6 of those things, they're not saving the company and it's doubtful another flashback ever will.

Or maybe it's not even official Atari stuff. Maybe it's 3rd party. We will only see in time. I'm betting it's nothing to get excited over.

Edited by Joey Z

Looks about the size of a Flash Back, though admittedly the styling looks a bit sleeker and I note that there looks to be 4 USB-like ports in the front, instead of the DB-9s and no readily-apparent console switches; though It's probably just an early render for their marketing tease and such things might be considered a distraction from image. Shows they're thinking about such things, anyways. Hmmm.

Latest rumor I heard about anything Atari-related, was one of a possible merger with a company called FlashZero, that I happened to stumble upon in a web-search last week. Just speculation on a stock board by amateur traders , but there were some interesting coincidences that inspired that speculation. Probably nothing to it, but eh...

My guess is that it will be some type of game streaming device this time, where you can download games perhaps pay to keep or subscription plan. If so I think that will be a good idea for them if the device has other features smart boxes have such as netflix and such.

EDIT:

If so they must have stole my idea from here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/264439-need-helping-finding-a-particular-type-of-dvd-player/?hl=%2Bparticular+%2Btype+%2Bof+%2Bdvd+%2Bplayer&do=findComment&comment=3753719

Edited by SignGuy81
  • Like 1

I'm as cynical as anyone, but even if it is just another 2600-compatable FB, and it might be too much to ask for, but if they would include a SD card slot as they did with their FB portable, have as good if not better emulation and make it connectable to modern displays through HDMI, I might be won over to buy one. Having officially-branded USB sticks wouldn't be too bad, either as we could use them with Stella on the PC, if we find their emulation lacking. (Recent logo branding are more reminiscent of the original, fortunately, otherwise I might balk, still)

EDIT: I kind of assume since they're using the Atari name, they would have to be the rights-owners or be an official license and not a fan project.

*firmly plants suggestion to their marketing/research, who are probably monitoring boards like this, researching for feedback" YES YOU WILL do all of the things. icon_razz.gif

There are probably people in the know, here, who have to keep mum about any of this, for now. icon_wink.gif

Functionally, if they give us what I listed above, they'd have something that would work like the original for the modern age, (even if original carts couldn't be used) and they could market it more like that. (Though, didn't the FB people have to keep the SD option a bit low-key? icon_wink.gif ) I guess they could include game packs or have online down-loads. though online connectivity / infrastructure may not be feasible. Having a High-Score submission board might be nice, though. Thing is, place all of that in a nice package and you might have something that would come at a slight premium over previous models. Might appeal to some of us, more, but might not to the general public. In the end, if it's still a 2600, it's still a 2600, no more, no less. icon_wink.gif How to make it work? More marketing? Recruit the fan-base through targeted out-reach? Can get pretty mixed results, as we are a skeptical bunch. Be curious what they do.

multiple ports on the front...and greater than d9 stature.. right up front it wants your email address and at the bottom it speaks of the trademarks and such almost as if referring to them as belonging to a third part.. For example it does not flat out say the Atari all rights reserved blah blah.. instead it says Atari , Atari Logo is a blah blah...

My guess is that it will be some type of game streaming device this time, where you can download games perhaps pay to keep or subscription plan. If so I think that will be a good idea for them if the device has other features smart boxes have such as netflix and such.

That would certainly make the most sense in this day and age, and yes I would be interested in something like that too, assuming it can also play higher quality games than just the 2600 (5200, 7800, and of course our 8-Bit computers -- and perhaps games from other systems as well).

- Michael

So in a quick look to see who might be behind the domain... the domain is registered at Godaddy.com... (-1 points, registrar has an unprofessional rap) - private registration, website is hosted at wix.com (cheap hosting for those with no web design experience) This seems to suggest a small shop behind the domain...

MX records point to Microsoft Office 365/Exchange Online, so either they are just picking-and-choosing cloud hosting services, or they are part of a much larger organization that uses O365 for Corportate E-mail. Website running on Amazon AWS datacenter (probably standard for WIX) and confirmation e-mail routed from a 'siteprotect.com' server in australia.

Would have to compare against domains of a number of other companies to see if any have similar configurations to maybe match them up.

I guess not uncommon for companies to setup masked marketing domains/sites ... it seems like its atari.. But even the Youtube account used for the video is new.

All very well masked...

Edited by Nezgar

Well seeing this news was certainly an eye-opener! I'm sure hoping this turns out to be something *AWESOME*! :)

I'm sure Looking forward to seeing how this develops...

A big shiny Atari logo on wood-grain as a profile pic? A one-post history? Super cheerful and optimistic hyping of the subject? Yeah, buddy. Sure you're not an agent for the company selling the thing.

A big shiny Atari logo on wood-grain as a profile pic? A one-post history? Super cheerful and optimistic hyping of the subject? Yeah, buddy. Sure you're not an agent for the company selling the thing.

LOL No, I don't work for Atari, but that would certainly be my dream job! :)

• Like 1

So, Keith. How does it come about that your very first post here on AtariAge is to boost interest in this new product. Long time Atari user yourself? Tell me, what's your weapon of choice? XL or XE? 1050 or XF-551?

So, Keith. How does it come about that your very first post here on AtariAge is to boost interest in this new product. Long time Atari user yourself? Tell me, what's your weapon of choice? XL or XE? 1050 or XF-551?

Well, I have always liked anything from Atari. I own a heavy-sixxer, around 250 games for it, a 7800, 2600 Jr. , a Jaguar with the JagCD, one each of the 400 and 800, 14 600XLs, 3 800XLs, one of which I upgraded to 256k, 7 or 8 520STs and a 14MB upgrades Falcon030. The Falcon, and Jaguar are my pride and joy. Also my Atari balsa wood gliders and my inflatable red kite. They're pretty cool, too. :)

• Like 6

Ok, so you don't work for Atari, but do you work for any guerilla marketing agency contracted by Atari(or anyone else who may have licensed the Atari name for this ) to boost this project? :)