IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

the "Eagle Box" emulator comes to mind because of the use of the word box ? but also because of the USB ports it reminds me of the ill fated Neo Geo X. What if there was a flashback handheld lurking under there ? or even better what if Tommo is having another crack at it with Atari ?

I am tempted, but hesitant, to submit my email.

Legit product, or propiganda? Bill says it's legit. Some news articles hinting Atari reentering the console race. But tey have about as much chance as the Coleco Chameleon though. I hope someone did not buy the license without a concrete plan to use it? :ponder:

Also news sites proclaiming it like a second coming...

https://www.cnet.com/news/atari-yes-that-atari-teases-new-game-console-ahead-of-e3/

Careful, a lot of articles and videos I have seen talking about Atari reentering the console race are using this very thread as a source and quoting Bill in particular. So they don't know any more than we do.

• Like 1

So in a quick look to see who might be behind the domain... the domain is registered at Godaddy.com... (-1 points, registrar has an unprofessional rap) - private registration, website is hosted at wix.com (cheap hosting for those with no web design experience) This seems to suggest a small shop behind the domain...

MX records point to Microsoft Office 365/Exchange Online, so either they are just picking-and-choosing cloud hosting services, or they are part of a much larger organization that uses O365 for Corportate E-mail. Website running on Amazon AWS datacenter (probably standard for WIX) and confirmation e-mail routed from a 'siteprotect.com' server in australia.

Would have to compare against domains of a number of other companies to see if any have similar configurations to maybe match them up.

I guess not uncommon for companies to setup masked marketing domains/sites ... it seems like its atari.. But even the Youtube account used for the video is new.

All very well masked...

The take away from this info is this is not how the proper Atari Inc has their web properties registered. You would think that if this was a proper product from Atari Inc, you would be seeing this info on their existing Web properties. Or if they decided to have their own separate web site for the AtariBox, they would still use the same registration companies that Atari Inc uses for all of their web properties.

• Like 1

I want a Retron 5 style console but just for Atari systems. Imagine being able to plug in carts from 2600/5200/78000/Jag/Lynx into one box and output to HDMI!? INSTA-buy

Until you find out that we can't play paddle and trackball games, Melody homebrews, Pokey games, and lots of homebrew other stuff is broken or non-working. Take for instance the vast majority of NES homebrews, and many repros, absolutely do not work on Retron5 or RetroFreak.

• Like 1

Careful, a lot of articles and videos I have seen talking about Atari reentering the console race are using this very thread as a source and quoting Bill in particular. So they don't know any more than we do.

The take away from this info is this is not how the proper Atari Inc has their web properties registered. You would think that if this was a proper product from Atari Inc, you would be seeing this info on their existing Web properties. Or if they decided to have their own separate web site for the AtariBox, they would still use the same registration companies that Atari Inc uses for all of their web properties.

Introducing the Atari Chameleon! :rolling:

I did submit my email address to them. Yahoo has a fairly decent spam filter so I am ready for whatever announcement they have. This doesn't mean I'll send them a single red cent if I smell bull crap.

For what it's worth, I got the email that the OP is talking about with a link to 'ataribox.com' from the Atari Newsletter (which I probably subscribed to way back when Neverwinter Nights was released).

It basically says "A brand new Atari product.. Years in the making..." has some images of the Atari logo with the wood finish and shiny bars. some 'about to announce something new.. excitement..." and a nice "new product that is an evolution of our past, and core to our future."

Since the email is sent out from atarinewsletter@atari.com....

though looking at the headers, it's a bounce through a mailing list hosted @bluehornet.com.

From all of this, I knew that it wasn't something from AtGames, since I'm sure they don't own that mailing list.

Bluehornet is apparently an email campaigning company (so makes sense).

Atari.com's registrar is ascio.

Funny thing is, there is ZERO mention of this thing on atari.com...

So if it is 'years in the making'; I'm going to vote for the JagVR finally being released so I can play Missile Command 3D like it was meant to be played!

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

They might have hired an outside marketing firm to run the guerilla marketing campaign.

• Like 1

Just for the sake of accuracy, “Atari, Inc.” hasn’t existed since 1984. The current holder of the name “Atari” and the rights to use the name and logo is “Atari, S.A.”

Just for the sake of accuracy, “Atari, Inc.” hasn’t existed since 1984. The current holder of the name “Atari” and the rights to use the name and logo is “Atari, S.A.”

Right well there's Atari Interactive now right, which Ataribox mentions on their site too. They've kept everything up and going it seems.

Didn't they also do some sort of bankruptcy?

Anyhow, these trademarks are for the Logo, and even an Atari Games, but Atari : codebreaker? Would be an interesting name for a hardware release, I guess? Unless that's a new game?

Also, Atari Games was filed by Atari International UK, whereas the other two were from Atari Interactive. I thought Atari SA was French?

Those images just make me think they're missing a memory test bar.. like TOS 2.06+ has...

Maybe it's just me.. but most 2600 games are better left in the past. I mean they show off pac-man, which is notably one of the worse conversions for the 2600. My fond memories are Combat, Adventure, Space Invaders, Armor Ambush. I think after not so long, I got into the Atari 8-bits, which to me was far more epic.

Having Hyperkin make up a 2600 wannabe system? I'd probably rather just pick up an old original one. Then again, i guess this thing will probably have better than RF out?

• Like 1

Is that even still available? Looks like nothing more than an emulator (Pi?) in a new case meant to look like a C64 on the outside.

Here's another take on doing a similar thing: The 64

- Michael

Is that even still available? Looks like nothing more than an emulator (Pi?) in a new case meant to look like a C64 on the outside.

Here's another take on doing a similar thing: The 64

- Michael

It's not. The guy who ran the company died a few years back and so went the company. It was frankly overpriced for what essentially PC innards stuffed inside a nicely done modern C-64 breadbox case.

The 64 is more or less an emulation box dedicated to the C-64, just in a choice of form factors, one of which happens to be something approximating the C-64 breadbox design. Frankly, I'd say the most promising of these systems is the upcoming FPGA-based ZX Spectrum Next. I'd love to see other platforms tackled in that same manner.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just me.. but most 2600 games are better left in the past. I mean they show off pac-man, which is notably one of the worse conversions for the 2600. My fond memories are Combat, Adventure, Space Invaders, Armor Ambush. I think after not so long, I got into the Atari 8-bits, which to me was far more epic.

A very vibrant and active fandom and homebrew development community begs to disagree.

• Like 2