IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

Don't be mad bro, I just Googled "Question Block" and "Atari Logo" and got creative with GIMP. It's not like I'm using the original pixellated [?] blocks either...

Not mad - just wish that logo would go away. The original was so iconic and well proportioned. Let's not even get started on the "New Coke" debacle.

mmmm, New Coke... ironically, it was the same formulation as Diet Coke, just with HFCS.

*ducks*

-Thom

No wonder it was disgusting. The past two times I've been at the hospital with my dad, it pisses me off to no end. I can't get a regular coke or pepsi with sugar from any f**king floor in the hospital, but they have no problem shoving chemical filled diet shit down my throat. It's ponderous.

• Like 5

No wonder it was disgusting. The past two times I've been at the hospital with my dad, it pisses me off to no end. I can't get a regular coke or pepsi with sugar from any f**king floor in the hospital, but they have no problem shoving chemical filled diet shit down my throat. It's ponderous.

Agreed, I don't get how someone can drink that crap. I'd much prefer to drink the coke with real cane sugar in it.

• Like 3

Not quite that elaborate.

Ha, not quite sure how that's 'elaborate'. So they take some fairly generic hardware, slap it into a case with a logo and some usb/hdmi/ethernet ports, package up a controller with it and have a proprietary operating system on it (probably a FreeBSD mangled with a subset of OpenGL/Vulkan) and you'd have an equivalent to Sony's PS4. Makes porting PC games easy for the most part, especially if it were Linux games, and they used a Linux kernel instead of BSD.

Any of us could make a Steam Machine. If this is to be a new console, yet PC based... what other choices do they have, basically a SteamOS machine, or (as I think they said) a 'new console'. Let's just pray it doesn't just run Windows 10 S. :P

Ha, not quite sure how that's 'elaborate'. So they take some fairly generic hardware, slap it into a case with a logo and some usb/hdmi/ethernet ports, package up a controller with it and have a proprietary operating system on it (probably a FreeBSD mangled with a subset of OpenGL/Vulkan) and you'd have an equivalent to Sony's PS4. Makes porting PC games easy for the most part, especially if it were Linux games, and they used a Linux kernel instead of BSD.

Any of us could make a Steam Machine. If this is to be a new console, yet PC based... what other choices do they have, basically a SteamOS machine, or (as I think they said) a 'new console'. Let's just pray it doesn't just run Windows 10 S. :P

There's no way they're taking on the big three. They don't have the resources. Also, I think your "prayer" is closer to the truth of what we'll ultimately get. Like I said, I don't think most anyone, including Atari, would have more ambitions in this category than trying to break through as an Nvidia Shield TV or Steam Box type of niche device. That's about all that's sustainable for a small company.

• Like 1

So it seems to me a few years back that Atari had declared bankruptcy (like 2013?) And they were being auctioned off. Is it possible that they were bought by someone hige and they have been in hiding until now? Kind of like how I also read recently that Vivendi was trying to do a hostile takeover of Ubisoft because the owners wanted to get back into the video game industry.

Far too many times, the names have changed hands (I think Commodore is owned by someone in China at this point).

Granted, I think the only company I could think of that could decently compete with the big three would be Samsung.

This is all made up though and probably I am full of crap. :)

Personally I think this whole idea will likely turn out to be a flop. Also you got to admit that what people from AA have created with almost no resources to speak of, is really much more amazing in the grand scheme of things. If I was the new Atari, I would be very much interested in recruiting help from many of the individuals on this forum.

- Michael

• Like 4

So it seems to me a few years back that Atari had declared bankruptcy (like 2013?) And they were being auctioned off. Is it possible that they were bought by someone hige and they have been in hiding until now? Kind of like how I also read recently that Vivendi was trying to do a hostile takeover of Ubisoft because the owners wanted to get back into the video game industry.

Far too many times, the names have changed hands (I think Commodore is owned by someone in China at this point).

Granted, I think the only company I could think of that could decently compete with the big three would be Samsung.

This is all made up though and probably I am full of crap. :)

There is no massive backer behind Atari. The only ones who could legitimately take on the big three I think would be Apple or Google, and I don't think either is interested in a piece of that core gamer pie considering how well they're both doing in the general market.

• Like 2

I can drink a six pack of diet coke in my sleep. Pepsi Max tastes much better though, twice the caffiene content of diet coke too, 69mg vs 34... :grin: :o :grin: :o :grin: :o :grin: :o :grin:

• Like 1

The first thing I thought of was an Android Box with the Atari Greatest Hits app installed.

Except that wouldn't really be "based on PC technology". And also a terrible idea. There have already been a few Android based game systems that have failed. Not to mention, why would it take years to develop, when I could take a Raspberry Pi l, stick it in a cool case and sell it as a gaming console... if they are indeed putting the teaser on TV, that is pretty huge. I mean even the Jaguar got very little TV time.

• Like 1

Did we all get sucked into an old Doctor Who episode, where the Atari makes a comeback? Weird times to be alive.

A few of the news articles do point out what I was saying. In 2013 they declared chapter 11 Bankruptcy and were bought by someone who is based out of New York. So Atari (at least this part of it?) is no longer owned by what used to be Infogrames, right? Or Atari, S.A.? Is this now an Atari, N.Y.?