IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

Of course they could build a new console. They could easily contract it out like the 7800 or Jaguar, or buy an existing design like the Lynx. The challenge is the marketing. Who's the audience for an Atari console in 2017? Is there an emerging niche they can enter?

Yes I agree with what you are saying, and I guess my reasoning was based on what is no longer a reality anymore, where the company is the engineering talent.

- Michael

There is an empty field my my house. The sign that said that a new retail building was coming in 2001 deteriorated and fell down in 2004. The one that replaced it that said 2010 is barely legible.

post-50483-0-84690500-1499735307.png

How many times will this copyright date change (or maybe it will just get outdated) before they stop renewing the domain and it all just quietly goes away?

Todd

Hi guys.

Just received a mail from AtariBox with some blah blah but seems they advance something that is it's a modern machine with hdmi, 4usb and sd ports.

Along the many lines they also say it will have 2 versions lookings beeing one? wood type resembling the original in what seems to be the 2600.

They intend to have modern games but promise to not forget old ones.

But still nothing about technical information about its capabilities, intention, market, games in production,...

I was just go out of home when I entered my mail but no time to return and my phone is old and I can't copy&paste/quote their mail to here so if someone here also had subscribe them it would be a great service to post here their mail so that all can read.

Other way is send me a pm here on AA with your mail so that I instantly re-send you their mail that you'll then paste here.

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira

2600games is obvious because is where they seem to still have code/roms and the design is also a proof, remember the Flashbacks ;)...

A8 has most of the games using many devices and 3rd party that they don't have the rights nor they'll bother with it.

On the other hand we have to get that for good and bad/bad or good that was mainly with the 2600 that it started and given Atari the reputation not all or almost all together with bad decisions that came after it :(...

Hi. Here is the HTML link to the latest email :

http://mailchi.mp/fe72ea5be6f5/first-look-ataribox-design?e=%5BUNIQID%5D

Looking for the images I see 4 usb, hdmiout, sdcard, powerline, ethernet and something I can't figure out what it is...

Maybe another output? Not an Atari cartridge definately. Although it looks like the size of PS Vita/ Switch / etc but otobably not (?)

Ethernet links it to internet -> downloads? Sdcard reader for game saves, dlc, homebrew?

I am aware of too many quostion marks but pictures got me puzzled: will it have physical games or not?

• Like 1

To have the opportunity to buy a new Atari product for the 1st time since I was in high school. I'm all in. Probably going to be a Christmas release by the vague sounds of it.

Maybe Christmas 2018. There's not really enough time to ramp up production on something that's not even finalized yet. To hit a Christmas target, production would have to begin with the next month or so.

Let's pretend for a minute that the corporate entity that was the original Atari still existed. How likely is it that the original leadership and technology staff would still be in place as well? The fact is that there is very little difference between an "original" Atari or one that is that venerable name wielded by a different company. Both would and will have to be something altogether different than the organization that created the consoles and computers we know and love. The XL/XE series has little to nothing in common with the 2600. The ST line is altogether unrelated to the XL/XE line. Generations come and generations go. In each cycle, the people, processes, industry, and market are so different than the one which preceded it that any comparison between them is largely meaningless.

I would disagree with that. The 2600 and the XL/XE line in the very least were both worked on by Jay Miner. Who went on to work on the Amiga. The ST has more heritage from the C64. But it's not like they just kept re-inventing new ideas and people for every new system. Experience kept bleeding from one project to another.

I still think they should get some Valve money and build an Atari Steam Machine. I'd get one for sure. Unfortunately that'll probably make it semi-pricey, since anything playing modern games is going to take more power. But those rendered cases look sweet. Though several of my coworkers and myself agree, it needs toggle switches on top :P

• Like 1

They're still fishing for ideas. And they're reading every word in this thread - but keeping their mouths shut.

So in the meantime, atari is fumbling around figuring out what to make. And here on AA there's new games being published today! Erm..

So I and most here have to take part of the profits but please be care because usually those small text at the end or on the back in the insurances and banks contracts are the devil and what no-one usually reads because of beeing lazy or have some kind of visual problems. And they know that and thats why they keep doing that even with the todays more restricted laws.

Getting back to the joke I want profits for all my A8's hours of working but can't nor intend to pay for any looses from them.

Are you listen me Atari?

:grin:

Edited by José Pereira

They're still fishing for ideas. And they're reading every word in this thread - but keeping their mouths shut.

So in the meantime, atari is fumbling around figuring out what to make. And here on AA there's new games being published today! Erm..

It would be nice if they would contact Avery about licensing Altirra.

I'm still thinking it may be Android-based like Nvidia's Shield. The SD card slot reinforces that idea to me and also this statement :

Atari plans to deliver classic games in the Ataribox, alongside “current content.”

Like maybe apps currently available in an existing App store?

• Like 1

Well in that case I want something that plays all the games from the 2600 through the Jaguar. With a focus on the 8-bit stuff, specifically the 8-bit computer line. And a keyboard would be nice but not necessary if I can use a USB port for that. Oh and yeah, wood grain is cool. A man can dream :)

• Like 1

Here's an idea; learn from the mistakes of River West Brands / Coleco / Cardildo and don't trample on the fans here and elsewhere, blindly enforcing IP rights without taking the required time to determine what is fair. That way, if your product is viable, all the Atari fans are promoting it and creating positive, rather than negative buzz. If you are listening "Atari", classic gamers want to believe, so give them something worth believing in and you will be successful.

Well in that case I want something that plays all the games from the 2600 through the Jaguar. With a focus on the 8-bit stuff, specifically the 8-bit computer line. And a keyboard would be nice but not necessary if I can use a USB port for that. Oh and yeah, wood grain is cool. A man can dream :)

Ha, including the 8-bit stuff that requires a VBXE, and more memory!

Jaguar might be a hard one, since I don't think any emulation is quite 100% there, right? Last time I used Virtual Jaguar (not too long ago) it was pretty hit and miss. Not everything from the Falcon works either. I'm looking forward to whatever they have. Personally I think we need another in the hardcore platform space. Maybe if they still have the IP for Adventure we can get Adventure 3 with fully modern graphics, procedurally generated maps and Vulkan API? Hey, if we're allowed to dream. (Hell, I'm still dreaming about Adventure II XE...)

• Like 1

Completely uninterested. Sorry. For modern gaming I have a core-i7 with NVidia GTX1080, and a PS4 with VR headset. For my retro gaming I have every original Atari console made from touch me, through stunt cycle, through Jag + CD.

• Like 2