IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

You sound depressed. No reason to give up hope on something just because there is good reason to be highly skeptical. There is still a lot of time between now and when the target delivery window is. A lot can happen in that time. Of course, if you're hoping for a direct competitor to any existing consoles or set top boxes out there rather than something that almost certainly will predominantly be its own thing, you should probably continue to temper that hope.

Not depressed. More embarrassed for basically spamming AtariAge with this. Maybe it will turn into something, but it sounds like the guy behind it has done some shady stuff in the past. I am mainly a looker and not a poster, so when I do make a post, I don't want it to be junk. I just felt like I owed an apology. There are so many cool things going on with this forum, I don't want to lower the sound to noise ratio :/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am always serious.

Is this one of those riddles akin to, "I always lie"?

Anyway, in all seriousness, you genuinely think Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, Amazon, Nvidia, etc., would give this even a slight notice? I believe best case scenario here is that besides appealing to a subset of Linux enthusiasts and a particular type of Atari fan, this at least gets mentioned when certain journalists in their articles discuss available streaming box options, i.e., Amazon, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield TV, Ataribox, etc. In other words, it has enough features despite the relatively high price to be part of the discussion when considering streaming boxes. I see no scenario where someone would consider this in a serious discussion of gaming console options versus PS4/Pro, Xbox One S/X, and Nintendo Switch.

By the way, my best case scenario above really only applies if it supports 4K HDR streaming apps. If it doesn't at least support that, it won't even warrant discussion among the other streaming-centric devices.

• Like 7

Odd video. With the mics and the stools and the projector screen and the eyes scanning the room, it looks like they're addressing an audience of people, but there doesn't appear to be anyone there.

They'll "green screen" a huge audience in later.

• Like 3

As for the specs, at the very least we know that it's going to have a faster gfx chip than an entry-level notebook-style integrated gfx chip.

The way I interpret it is that gfx chip should be faster than, say, $50 gfx card from AMD (as it will be integrated with the CPU).

So, am I being way too optimistic it's going to be at least as fast as this ? :

http://www.microcenter.com/product/425144/Radeon_R7_240_Low_Profile_2GB_DDR3_PCI-e_Video_Card

I predict this will do very well because it is open. That is the key. Sony and M$ are closed and subscription based. In this new era of freedom, the public will love it. The establishment is falling down all around us (thankfully), and people will gladly move away from those greedy corporations as soon as there is a good alternative.

It will come with games that many have never seen. That will generate interest. I have been selling Fire sticks fully loaded with a top-notch Kodi build and other stuff that gives you free live cable channels and movies. They are selling like crazy. People want to "cut the cord" and this is a great way to do that. Not only can you play an unlimited number of games, you can watch TV and movies.

What could be better for the average family?

There will be some that complain about it's lack of this or that, but those are the type of people that play games on their $3000 liquid nitrogen cooled PC.

I really think Atari has hit the spot with this one.

• Like 1

I predict this will do very well because it is open. That is the key. Sony and M$ are closed and subscription based. In this new era of freedom, the public will love it. The establishment is falling down all around us (thankfully), and people will gladly move away from those greedy corporations as soon as there is a good alternative.

It will come with games that many have never seen. That will generate interest. I have been selling Fire sticks fully loaded with a top-notch Kodi build and other stuff that gives you free live cable channels and movies. They are selling like crazy. People want to "cut the cord" and this is a great way to do that. Not only can you play an unlimited number of games, you can watch TV and movies.

There will be some that complain about it's lack of this or that, but those are the type of people that play games on their $3000 liquid nitrogen cooled PC.

I really think Atari has hit the spot with this one.

Arguments are always more impressive when someone puts a $ sign in place of the S in the Microsoft abbreviation. Stick it to the man! Viva la revolución!

I could see the average family being interested in something like this if the Ataribox happened to do something that they actually cared about that an existing console or streaming box didn't do. I don't see it doing something like that, plus you have to pay more money for it to do less in many areas than those other alternatives. As for being open being a selling point to the average family, the year of the Linux desktop wants to have a word with you. This was and always will be a niche product. As stated, it's just a question of how big of a niche it can occupy.

• Like 4

I predict this will do very well because it is open.

Ah that old chestnut. Time was even I thought being "open" might be something that would benefit a gaming console. However, the failures of the Infinium Phantom console (Linux based Vaporware) and other proposed open systems to even the many that were released only to eventually fail ( GCW Zero, Pandora, GP2X, Ouya etc ) indicates the idea of open source gaming platforms is more appealing than the actual result. Like it or not launching a successful gaming console requires deep pockets and big companies, the idea of open source actually gaining anymore than a niche footing in the market has been a proven failure over and over.

post-10336-0-76752800-1508981396.jpg

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

As for the specs, at the very least we know that it's going to have a faster gfx chip than an entry-level notebook-style integrated gfx chip.

The way I interpret it is that gfx chip should be faster than, say, $50 gfx card from AMD (as it will be integrated with the CPU).

So, am I being way too optimistic it's going to be at least as fast as this ? :

http://www.microcenter.com/product/425144/Radeon_R7_240_Low_Profile_2GB_DDR3_PCI-e_Video_Card

Any IGP is going to be second rate compared to even the cheapest contemporary card. yeh..

Fact is most people would rather have a closed, locked down system if it meant they didn't have to tinker with it more than plugging it in. Not matter how you slice it, "open" implies some sort of DIY if you want to take advantage of the openness. Lots of people have no use for that.

There is an audience for a device like this, but it's only a subset of the general gaming population, and it isn't going to unseat Sony, MS or Nintendo

• Like 1

Any IGP is going to be second rate compared to even the cheapest contemporary card. yeh..

Yeah, I forgot that. It's been at least 3 years since I last checked on the fastest IGP from Intel. Absolutely no idea on AMD's performance in that arena. I presume, AMD is much slower (as usual) there ?

Thus, the lowest possible 3D performance is whatever IGP is AMD currently selling ?

Either way, it's going to be sort-of-a custom IGP - of course not as custom as, say, for Sony/MS console (there's no R&D money for that in Atari, obviously), but custom enough to drive the price down and hopefully performance up.

I stumbled upon AMD's release yesterday (the quarter breakdown, and AtariBox was there), so it does indeed look like a legit plan (assuming the source can be trusted, and it just happened to be on the internet :) ).

Then again, the road from plan to physical execution...

Forget about average family :) Let's just, for the sake of a very funny argument, consider the audience of software engineers to be able to troubleshoot even the most basic issues.

How many of them, do you think, would be able to quickly solve the linux issue when you loose video out ?

- SSH into the box remotely,

- go through the boot logs in commandline,

- be extremely lucky to find out that X11 config is broken,

- spend four hours on stackoverflow.com going through 17 recommendations,

- only to find out that your distro doesn't have 95% of those tools installed (people commenting from completely different distros (and / or versions), showing you screenshots of the command output, completely ignoring the distro/version you are on),

- so you gotta install the other ones - but you can't at that moment (10 other reasons why this can be broken), so you can only download it on PC,

- then transfer it to AtariBox at which point, you're like : "wait, how do I mount a USB partition again"

- you finally transfer the files, but of course, your AtariBox distro doesn't have the required unpacker (and your PC most probably not either)

- so you go download the unpacker from PC

- you finally unpack and execute the tool

- only to find out the C++ library version conflict (meaning you messed up somewhere up the whole chain or listened to a guy who didn't notice your distro version)

- but a guy on stackoverflow says - "that's easy, you just gotta locally compile the tool from the sourcecodes, there's a makefile right there, just clone the repo from git"

- you go and do that(which, btw, can be identical exercise to this one, depending on what's installed on your distro and your current networking connectivity), only to find out that the tool spits out different information than expected as per the thread

- thus the whole exercise was basically useless and you're where you started

With great power (open system) comes the need for great skills and a much greater dose of patience :)

• Like 2