IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

Or you go to Atari Age or Atari.com and get it fixed in about 10 minutes because the answers come from experienced users who normally get your problems sorted in a matter of minutes... if it takes longer you end up with life long gaming and computing friends and a world of good people opens up to you. You gain so much from real community of helpful wonderful people!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The same guy (Feargal Mac) that's behind the AtariBox was also behind two previous KickStarter projects.

Check this out, but I have to warn you after watching this video you'll no longer look forward to his latest scam -- the AtariBox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKxVNEHVS0

• Like 3

I dunno the whole idea of a 'company' using Kickstarter or Indiegogo to raise funds to build a new product just strikes me as odd. In my mind these are fundraising sites aimed at individual Entrepreneurs, whereas a 'real' company should be either funding this themselves or using an established venture capital source. Of course times have changed, so perhaps this is the way things are done now days.

And based on what this guy has done previously (as shown in the video I posted), don't be surprised if what is delivered in the end bears no resemblance what-so-ever to the artist conception renderings that have been used in the campaign. In fact it's quite likely that what you get will be nothing more than a re-branded already existing off the shelf device.

BTW, the difference between Kickstarter and Indiegogo is that Kickstarter has a requirement that you have a working prototype, whereas Indiegogo has no such requirement. This would worry me if I was an investor.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Welcome the 'new' Atari VCS:

2018 03 20 image 2

https://www.techspot.com/news/73788-atari-reveals-console-new-name-preorder-date-announced.html

The company will show off the newly renamed console to the press at GDC this week, along with the Classic Joystick and the Modern Controller.

• Like 1

I keep wanting to wait and see what really comes of this.

But it's looking pretty likely this is another Ouya, only Ouya actually shipped something before the console faded into obscurity.

The only other thing this has that Ouya didn't is the Atari brand name, but that's really only meaningful to old farts like me.

I also have mixed feelings on the naming. Given their product vision, "Video Computer System" is perfect - because it is both a statement of purpose and a nod to its predecessor, for those of us old enough to have bought the Atari 2600 when it was still named "Video Computer System". But, it is just as likely to tarnish the name.

I think the really big tipping point (other than actually getting a product on shelves) could be if modern-day "Atari" manages to produce some killer games for the console. But given their recent Night Driver remake on mobile platforms (roundly panned by the gaming press) I don't have high hopes here either.

Edited by FifthPlayer

There is NOTHING real about this thing:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/22/atari_lempty_box/

All this time, and they're launching...in....April?

Yeah.

Can we crowdfund a campaign to slip a laxative, like, half a cup of castor oil, into Feargal Mac's beer, instead?

-Thom

Expect an Easter Fols Day announcement... :roll:

This is even more pathetic than that laughable smoke and mirrors display Mike K tried to pull off with the Chameleon.

If it looks like we all expect, it's a real shame that the old brand name is being used in fleecing people. It seems to be a big thing lately milking old brand names and franchises for TV, movies and music to make a quick buck.

• Like 1

Your boundless optimism suggests you are not aware of the GDC Hotel-Gate claymation fiasco?

Correction I have never been optimistic about the AtariBox becoming a reality, but was simply making an observation that if Atari wants to be taken seriously, they need to disassociate from sham artists.

• Like 2

How can they use the Atari logo, not be affiliated with Atari, and have that disclaimed at the bottom of the website?

ugh, they use the name and logos everywhere and have the logo's here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I1Sca45oBE5OehW6vha6BT3r6lhTUHMX

And appear like this is on the up and up.

Making the hardware isn't the issue typically, it's getting the games. Those must be crude China knock-offs?, etc.

What are the games?