IGNORED

Ataribox

So I got this email today teasing a new product. What do you think it is?

My guess is something like the NES Classic Mini, but maybe with the ability to download games.

A brand NEW Atari product
Years In The Making...

GAMEBOX_EmailBlastImage.png

We're about to announce something new, and here at Atari we are very excited about it!

A new product that is an evolution of our past, and core to our future.

Get a sneak peek, and be among the first to know more, by subscribing now at www.ataribox.com

They have been saying similar things about the big difference in Atari Flashback 8. Maybe that is what it is...October-ish 2017.

To reiterate, this has nothing to do with AtGames, which already officially announced all of their new products on Friday. This is Atari in partnership with another company. Without going into specifics, it has nothing to do with legacy hardware and is not a new traditional console.

Get a sneak peek, and be among the first to know more, by subscribing now at www.ataribox.com

The page source seems to indicate that it's a wix page.

Adjust expectations accordingly.

Atari Vault garbage rebranded for Android is the lamest thing I can imagine it could be:

1. it's been 'years in the making'

2. it's an 'evolution of their past'

3. if I were pimping it online, I'd use wix too--because eff-it, why bother trying? Also, I forgot my angelfire password.

I miss the days when I trusted mystery products at face value with nothing to go on--and wasn't just a completely jaded prick.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

The page source seems to indicate that it's a wix page.

Adjust expectations accordingly.

Atari Vault garbage rebranded for Android is the lamest thing I can imagine it could be:

1. it's been 'years in the making'

2. it's an 'evolution of their past'

3. if I were pimping it online, I'd use wix too--because eff-it, why bother trying? Also, I forgot my angelfire password.

I miss the days when I trusted mystery products at face value with nothing to go on--and wasn't just a completely jaded prick.

Thank you for that info, I couldn't agree more. My two cents:

1) it's been "years in the making" yet they seem to only have a 3D render

2) it's using the Atari brand which has been passing itself around to whomever can provide that delicious, nutritious crack

3) I will bet all the hair on my head that it will be on Kickstarter Indiegogo

It's quite frankly amazing to see all these vultures and dreamers who have swooped into the retro gaming scene these past few years. I kinda like it to be honest, free amusement.

• Like 8

"Years in the making" - where growing the trees for the fake wood grain?icon_biggrinwink.gif

0:08 - Some kind of ports on the edge under the "wood" grain.

Just watched the video on there site -

No real hints and "sign up for emails!"
NO thanks

I don't need a rehashed emulator in a fancy box.

The flashbacks where kinda "meh" anyways.

Most of the people interested in anything Atari probably already have console and/or sd cart.

Also Atari doesn't really have the "retro cool / I need that" of nes(NES classic?)

We don't know anything about it though, besides a name and what Bill has said that it isn't.

So, I'm still entitled to my opinion. I think just about any thing to do with video games is pretty cool, plus it is going to have the Atari name on it and something new so yeah, I think it would be cool. If it was an alarm clock I think it would be cool.

Those don't look like USB ports to me. What are they, then? Not sure. Speed holes?

Depending on the quality, you might add some of those yourself.icon_razz.gif

So, I'm still entitled to my opinion. I think just about any thing to do with video games is pretty cool, plus it is going to have the Atari name on it and something new so yeah, I think it would be cool. If it was an alarm clock I think it would be cool.

This whole thread is for opinions good and bad.

And, me , as an American - I Feel I'm to have a big, dumb loud opinion about things I don't fully understand - dammit!icon_rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

having opinions is fine. I'm just warning against using Ataribox articles in the media to reinforce your opinion, because they're using a youtuber as a source who in turn is using this AtariAge as a source :) So if tomorrow you see stories running speculation that Ataribox is just an alarm clock.. well that will be your fault :D

• Like 1

Just you wait:

Retron 77 will get all the attention, but people will complain it doesn't have any games included. There will be confusion because it doesn't have the Atari name on it. I've already seen people confuse it with the vaporware AtariBox (which admittedly IS a better name in some ways)

Atari Flashback 8 will do OK, but a large group of people will complain it doesn't have Pac-Man, E.T., or their favorite licensed thing, and different set of people will complain that it doesn't play cartridges.

AtariBox is at its peak right now. Without details, it can be a mystery box that contains whatever your heart desires ... until it comes out and its a can opener or something equally banal.

• Like 1

Just you wait:

Retron 77 will get all the attention, but people will complain it doesn't have any games included. There will be confusion because it doesn't have the Atari name on it. I've already seen people confuse it with the vaporware AtariBox (which admittedly IS a better name in some ways)

Atari Flashback 8 will do OK, but a large group of people will complain it doesn't have Pac-Man, E.T., or their favorite licensed thing, and different set of people will complain that it doesn't play cartridges.

AtariBox is at its peak right now. Without details, it can be a mystery box that contains whatever your heart desires ... until it comes out and its a can opener or something equally banal.

I generally agree. I think the RetroN 77 will get the enthusiasts' interest, the Flashback series will as usual get the mass retail market, and the AtariBox, well, that remains to be seen. Based on what I saw half a year ago, I'm not sure what the exact market is for it, but if they pull it off as originally intended, it will definitely have some interest from some people, particularly if it's a relatively reasonable price.