IGNORED

Ataribox

Wonder if it's some sort of box that you can use to create your own simple games. Probably wouldn't be a huge market for it, but it would "definitely have some interest from some people"

Although I'm sure that could be an option by the very nature of the product, I would not think that would be an explicit feature considering what it is. Unless things have changed, I would not consider this an innovative product per se. If the intended price/hardware/performance targets were somehow met, it could be a good relative value, which might ultimately be its most significant market differentiator.

Wonder if it's some sort of box that you can use to create your own simple games. Probably wouldn't be a huge market for it, but it would "definitely have some interest from some people"

hmm

more than

pico-8

android

ios

unity

gamesalad

rpgmaker

gameguru

and if i dug deeper, probably a dozen other edutainment-type game-making engines?

Let's say for argument's sake it's basically Ouya 2, an open-ish environment with a TV console vibe. Anyone can develop and publish on this. The world shat on Ouya the first, and that didn't have forty years of baggage around it. Why would they want this?

I'm such a hater, I know. :|

By the way, it would awesome if all 3 (or is it 2?) of these AtariBox threads could be consolidated. It seems like wasted effort to keep saying the same things in different ways in substantially similar threads. (and the same goes for a few other threads on AtariAge that come to mind)

• Like 4

By the way, it would awesome if you gave us some insight instead of being vague/ambiguous to solely just help promote the device. :woozy:

Well you know Bill is a long time member and contributor here, and you are? :roll: As one who has not contributed much here you should lighten up.......

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 6

Just you wait:

Retron 77 will get all the attention, but people will complain it doesn't have any games included. There will be confusion because it doesn't have the Atari name on it. I've already seen people confuse it with the vaporware AtariBox (which admittedly IS a better name in some ways)

Atari Flashback 8 will do OK, but a large group of people will complain it doesn't have Pac-Man, E.T., or their favorite licensed thing, and different set of people will complain that it doesn't play cartridges.

AtariBox is at its peak right now. Without details, it can be a mystery box that contains whatever your heart desires ... until it comes out and its a can opener or something equally banal.

I'm beginning to think it's just some dumb IOT (internet of things) or some other smart device we don't need. As a games console, there is no way it could compete with the existing "Big 3" nor even the likes of Shield which IMO is on life support (and most of the Shield's competition already dead).

It's not a plug and play as Bill has specified, and is not a device to play vintage games which Retron77 has already cornered. That pretty much leaves some silly tech with the Atari brand name shoehorned in in such a way that is very unlikely to please any of us retro diehards.

So I'm giving 10-1 odds that this product won't remotely interest me in the slightest. Still I submitted my email out of curiosity. It's chances of success are higher than the Chameleon but that's not saying much.

Suffice to say I am 10,000 times more interested in the products AtGames and Hyperkin have already shown, than this mystery box. The sooner they reveal the mystery box, the sooner we can shrug our shoulders and move on with our lives... :roll:

• Like 3

By the way, it would awesome if you gave us some insight instead of being vague/ambiguous to solely just help promote the device. :woozy:

Again, I have zero relation to the device or Atari. I've made that abundantly clear. I have no horse in this race other than, as usual, to try and be helpful to the community since I always appreciate/appreciated that on the other side. I'm just trying to be helpful in terms of what it absolutely isn't since I knew what it was half a year ago. I also feel professionally obligated not to reveal what I know since it's up to Atari to do the reveal the way they want. I also acknowledged that it may indeed have changed in the time I last saw the idea, but it's unlikely it changed in the radical way that some hope or are guessing.

• Like 8

Atari box. A box with Atari printed on it? Oh, I see that was already proposed in this thread.

If there is anything in the box, my guess would be a streaming device that downloads and plays Atari games.

Not expecting too much really.

Edited by SIO2

I'm beginning to think it's just some dumb IOT (internet of things) or some other smart device we don't need.

That's it!!!

It's Atari's version of the Echo!!

Gamer : "Ataribox, What year did Atari 2600 Berzerk get released?"

Ataribox : "Nineteen Eighty Two"

Gamer : "Ataribox, What does Atari 2600 Pac-Man sound like?"

Ataribox : " BONK BONK BONK BONK BONK DOOOOOODEEEOOODEED BUCKYOU"

Gamer : "Ataribox, What is the worst video game ever made?"

Ataribox : E.T. Haha Just kidding"

• Like 2

Are you his boyfriend?

No, are you 12? Because that is the immature response of a child or very immature troll. I stand by what I said as I would for any good member here being wrongly labeled or accused. You on the other hand sound like a good candidate for the ignore feature.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 4

I Folks! I just subscribed here.

I'm from Brazil, the community of Atari here it's excited about the new hardware.

Have you seen this news? The CEO confirmed the AtariBox, he says it's "based on PC technology". I thought this could be a Mini-PC connected with the Atari Vault. It's a possibility. Seems they did not make the design yet, probably will not have the woodgrain design.I hope it does not suck.

Here is the news:

https://www.cnet.com/news/ataris-rumored-new-game-console-is-real-and-pc-based/

• Like 3

I managed to dig up a possible lead on who is making the Atari Box SoC.

It might be AMD. Source.

We know that the Atari box will have PC based architecture. So In my mind it would be x86 based. Much like the Xbox one or the PS4.

I am looking forward to what ever they are planning to show off. :)

• Like 1