IGNORED

Ataribox

No, that would have been the Jaguar. This system will be the Atari 13000.

What a lucky number.

This story is getting bigger and bigger, and comes up under one of the major tech stories on google.

However, still lots of questions :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/06/17/prepare-to-be-disappointed-by-whatever-ataris-new-console-turns-out-to-be/#222d54d825a8

later

Let them harvest the news coverage. They better be able to deliver on the hype or they'll only have themselves to blame later.

Let them harvest the news coverage. They better be able to deliver on the hype or they'll only have themselves to blame later.

Guess you didn't bother to read the headlines, there is no hype:

Prepare To Be Disappointed By Whatever Atari's New Console Turns Out To Be

later

Edited by negative1

Honestly, that it's PC-based actually seems like something of a relief. They could have gone with Android...

That said, as much as I want it to be something that honors the old spirit of Atari (because that's all that might be left), I'm prepared to be disappointed. I'll still probably buy it (I'm a sucker for the Fuji...especially if it's a glowing Fuji).

If it's a flashback....

So what? Many of those and some are of excellent quality, plus very good emulation on pretty much anything. Very liberal licensing of IP. Who gives a shit.

If it's an android box or something similar...

It could have potential, but like others have said, it's purely our most optimistic fantasies at this point. My fantasy is that there is a solid lineup of original games based on classic Atari/Activision/etc IP. Probably not gonna happen.

It's getting all sorts of skepticism, although I can see why. I tried emailing them but didn't get a response. I think it's very coincidental that they confirmed it around this time, so close to the release of the 2600 40 years ago.

What is the exact date of the 40 year anniversary? Perhaps the reveal is timed to coincide with the exact anniversary of Atari VCS "launch date." I put "launch date" in quotes since retailers did not have rigid dates like modern consoles but tended to release stuff as they got stock off the trucks.

What is the exact date of the 40 year anniversary? Perhaps the reveal is timed to coincide with the exact anniversary of Atari VCS "launch date." I put "launch date" in quotes since retailers did not have rigid dates like modern consoles but tended to release stuff as they got stock off the trucks.

Wiki says September 11, 1977 in the U.S.

I managed to dig up a possible lead on who is making the Atari Box SoC.

It might be AMD. Source.

We know that the Atari box will have PC based architecture. So In my mind it would be x86 based. Much like the Xbox one or the PS4.

I am looking forward to what ever they are planning to show off. :)

Yes, I rememeber when AMD announced a new design win, and everyone assumed it was the Switch, but it wasn't..

Yes, I rememeber when AMD announced a new design win, and everyone assumed it was the Switch, but it wasn't..

Keeping in mind I'm saying this purely as an outside observer, but I find it amazing that some people seem to desperately want to make Atari or have Atari be some type of major player in this space. They're simply not in that position and aren't even in range of being in that position. There are no billion dollar deals in the making. If this Atari initiative succeeds, it will be on a small, modest scale and because they carved out a sustainable niche.

• Like 5

Gamers just aren't traditionally modest people. We like to brag about our hardware, whatever it is.

That said, I really don't mind an Ouya 2.0 if it has the right games behind it and a controller that actually works.

Atari of today is a small company, they won't and can't be a major player. At best they can enter the ATGames, Retron, Retrofreak level of hardware penetration at best.

Also lesser known unless you know a game industry employee or are one, the head of the current Atari is a very angry, exceptionally short tempered, corner cutting, insipidly greedy and very unstable little frenchman. I've got stories from the console side, computer(PC gaming) side, and the retro market sides about this guy and all of them line up almost too perfectly.

My advice is to sit back and let this one stew. Watch it with hesitation and be reserved about any strong optimism about the project. This is a company run by someone who very easily and I'd put it at a 50/50 likelihood of his own damned ego and attitude problem self sabotaging it before it hits the market. If not a total implosion, a crap load of cost cuts and corners cut to get something out that may end up being as much of a hot mess as the retro-bit device was, or at worst, approaching chameleon levels of stupidity without the church group kids maraconi project motherboard.

• Like 1

Keeping in mind I'm saying this purely as an outside observer, but I find it amazing that some people seem to desperately want to make Atari or have Atari be some type of major player in this space. They're simply not in that position and aren't even in range of being in that position. There are no billion dollar deals in the making. If this Atari initiative succeeds, it will be on a small, modest scale and because they carved out a sustainable niche.

If I was to think of a company I would like to see challenge the industry, Atari wouldn't be my top pick. It wouldn't even be in the top five.

IMO, Atari's value is in the few (100ish) classic titles they have to their name and to wish they own the rights free and clear. Their business model should revolve around providing access to those titles on modern hardware and occasionally challenging themselves to make a new game. To be fair, this is largely what they do. But to suggest they should try to make their own PS4 is just absurd.

To use an analogy, Atari is like a film studio that cranked out some great hits in the 1940s, but today has no staff and operates out of a cheap office. They can make bank by keeping their overhead low and preserving what made them great in the first place.

• Like 2

Ouch, that Tanooki post just did all sorts of not good things to my hype. I think I'll at least wait to see what the thing is before letting my hype die completely though.

I mean, this is probably my condition talking, but I want to see Atari succeed, even if it's not the real Atari or whatever. I want a device to make me happy.

The cynical butthole part of me is watching that video with the 3D rendered console with supposed USB-ports under the front in a Atari-esque shell and screams "CHAMEEELEEOOOON! M.K IS ALIIIIIVE!"

The hopeful and humble part of me has seen a small candle of interest lit up and i will be watching closely.

Whatever it is i hope it plays modern games in some form. That would be a nice relief. I feel that all the old games has been rereleased too many times for it to be funny anymore.

My advice is to sit back and let this one stew. Watch it with hesitation and be reserved about any strong optimism about the project. This is a company run by someone who very easily and I'd put it at a 50/50 likelihood of his own damned ego and attitude problem self sabotaging it before it hits the market. If not a total implosion, a crap load of cost cuts and corners cut to get something out that may end up being as much of a hot mess as the retro-bit device was, or at worst, approaching chameleon levels of stupidity without the church group kids maraconi project motherboard.

I think anyone who's not been under a rock for the past two years knows about the Chameleon scandal. If Ataribox turns out to be bullcrap, it would severely tarnish Atari's brand reputation. Coleco is in pretty poor standings with the community right now, but Atari seems to be holding it's own, for now. I find a high likelyhood that the mystery box may not be of paramount interest to this forum, but let us hope for once it is a real product and launch. Better to launch a modest product and fail than put on a big production and not launch anything at all... :ponder:

• Like 1

The current owner of Atari has done plenty internally with other companies bigger and small to tarnish the name of Atari with developers and that's probably far more damning than fanboy urges who can push buying a self made box only so far. I can't get into specifics as it could get trouble riled up for individuals I know. I'm talking on the level of large scale temper tantrums mixed with changing promises, terms of contractual deals, moving the goal post like shenanigans around key franchises old and new to screw over partners developing product they'd publish.

That's why I threw that out there. I just have no trust or hope in this product until a final, if a final that is, system shows up and reviews well by random consumers wiling to take the bullet and not public blowjob figures out for a freebie like gamester slobbing their knob.

• Like 1

the head of the current Atari is a very angry, exceptionally short tempered, corner cutting, insipidly greedy and very unstable little frenchman.

I'm talking on the level of large scale temper tantrums mixed with changing promises, terms of contractual deals, moving the goal post like shenanigans around key franchises old and new to screw over partners developing product they'd publish.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

The current owner of Atari has done plenty internally with other companies bigger and small to tarnish the name of Atari with developers and that's probably far more damning than fanboy urges who can push buying a self made box only so far. I can't get into specifics as it could get trouble riled up for individuals I know. I'm talking on the level of large scale temper tantrums mixed with changing promises, terms of contractual deals, moving the goal post like shenanigans around key franchises old and new to screw over partners developing product they'd publish.

That's why I threw that out there. I just have no trust or hope in this product until a final, if a final that is, system shows up and reviews well by random consumers wiling to take the bullet and not public blowjob figures out for a freebie like gamester slobbing their knob.

Thanks for the info. I was considering making something for the Atari Box. But changing a contract is a big no no in my book.