IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

This has nothing to do with AtGames. This is Atari in partnership with another company. It's not related to any vintage technology. That's all I can say.

Partnering with another company isn't new for Atari (well, maybe the new Atari), but wasn't the 7800, Jaguar, and Lynx made by partnering with someone else too? Partnering with some one else seems like a smart thing to do for a company the size of Atari.

Edited by pboland

Maybe something that will play the original cartridges on an HD TV?! That would be cool! :cool:

I would LOVE this.

I would love this also, but it has already kind of been shot down by someone in the know in another thread about Ataribox. :(

I would love this also, but it has already kind of been shot down by someone in the know in another thread about Ataribox. :(

Well, you already mentioned the topic in the 8-Bit thread. I didn't see anything that would shoot this down in that thread. What did you read that makes you not like this?

Never mind, I miss under stood your comment.

However with that stated, just because it isn't an "original cart accepting" console with HD doesn't mean it can't be something really cool to look forward to.

That's my two cents.

Edited by pboland

Well, you already mentioned the topic in the 8-Bit thread. I didn't see anything that would shoot this down in that thread. What did you read that makes you not like this?

I saw it too, from Bill Logiduice. It's not an AtGames thing, it's not a game box, he can't say more except that it might not be the kind of thing we would want.

Personally I dislike tease marketing and email address collection, and Atari's latest original works haven't been so hot. Atari Fit? Atari GameBand? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Atari Flashback 8 Gold with Activision games coming this fall is the AtariBox for us.

• Like 4

Never mind, I miss under stood your comment.

However with that stated, just because it isn't an "original cart accepting" console with HD doesn't mean it can't be something really cool to look forward to.

That's my two cents.

To be clear, this is a current Atari product in partnership with a company who is not AtGames. It is not related to any legacy hardware. It's legit.

Whatever that means...

Whatever that means...

I think he means...it doesn't have anything to do with any vintage Atari consoles. (That means...something newer...modern). His statement about it being legit, is just that. It is a real thing and something Atari has partnered with another company for.

• Like 1

I think he means...it doesn't have anything to do with any vintage Atari consoles. (That means...something newer...modern). His statement about it being legit, is just that. It is a real thing and something Atari has partnered with another company for.

Oh I totally understand the "legacy hardware" part of the statement. The "legit" is what is the mystery to me.

So if it doesn't have anything to do with "legacy hardware", then in all honesty what's the point? They aren't going to have the resources to go up against Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft. If it's an Atari themed steambox type deal, then it's not really worth the trouble since at that point it would be a glorified case mod. I mean if it's a brand new console, the only way it would be even remotely viable is if it had built in software to create games for every Atari system, which would go against the "legacy hardware" statement. Is there anything else that I"m missing as a possibility?

Maybe it's a streaming service where you can buy/play Atari games from over the years. Examples : Alone in the Dark, Neverwinter Nights, Typo Attack, etc...

I mean aren't most of those games on Steam already? Or something similar?

• Like 1

I think a big clue is in the links at the bottom of the page... specifically, the Dev link, which opens my e-mail client with a new e-mail to dev@ataribox.com, and a subject line of - and this is the interesting part - "I’m a developer and want to know more about your platform". So it's not an old-game service of any kind, it's a new platform that can be developed for.

I'm tempted to send a resume to the Jobs link, too, but I don't know what I'd be blindly applying for.

I think a big clue is in the links at the bottom of the page... specifically, the Dev link, which opens my e-mail client with a new e-mail to dev@ataribox.com, and a subject line of - and this is the interesting part - "I’m a developer and want to know more about your platform". So it's not an old-game service of any kind, it's a new platform that can be developed for.

I'm tempted to send a resume to the Jobs link, too, but I don't know what I'd be blindly applying for.

Unless they are making tools to easily make games I can't see that taking off. Unless they have some billionaire sugar daddy that we don't know about. No major company is going to invest the time or money for a small platform like that