IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I have a feeling that this could be Atari's new console. Think about it, Atari has a pretty decent share in making modern video games. Not to mention they could take a classic game, say, Adventure for the Atari 2600 and remake it into a 3D Skyrim style game! And still make new titles as well. This is my hope/opinion though. And until we know more we just won't know yet. But I have a feeling this is Atari's first new console in a long leave in the business.

Of the three products coming out - Flashback 8, Retron 77 and the Ataribox, the box seems the least interesting. Nothing makes me lose interest quicker than telling me what a product "isn't"

I don't agree that it's the ​least​ interesting, but I get what you mean. xD

Actually I find it to be the most interesting product, because we've seen a number of Flashback and Retron consoles for awhile now. So to see a new piece of Atari hardware that's completely original is intriguing in my opinion.

• Like 3

I don't agree that it's the ​least​ interesting, but I get what you mean. xD

Actually I find it to be the most interesting product, because we've seen a number of Flashback and Retron consoles for awhile now. So to see a new piece of Atari hardware that's completely original is intriguing in my opinion.

Oh I know, and I get it. I was more interested in what it's not going to be. I'm still watching the thread and am curious about it but if it's some streaming box or some other android tv device, etc, then putting the name "Atari" on it won't make me interested. If I'm wrong then I will happily change my tune :)

• Like 1

I wonder if it's actually a box to play subscription based games. Described as 'Netflix of games', this concept gets quite often discussed by different game labels and developers.

Us Europeans hear about their partnership with Sigfox [see:Sigfox announcement ] on a regular basis, so it could also be an IoT device (or a combo of both: IoT and game subscriptions). At the end of the day their teaser has really worked; lots of excitement...

I wonder if it's actually a box to play subscription based games. Described as 'Netflix of games', this concept gets quite often discussed by different game labels and developers.

Us Europeans hear about their partnership with Sigfox [see:Sigfox announcement ] on a regular basis, so it could also be an IoT device (or a combo of both: IoT and game subscriptions). At the end of the day their teaser has really worked; lots of excitement...

Interesting that you read excitement into the reactions posted here. So which company do you work for, Sigfox or Atari? ;-)
  • Like 1

Interesting that you read excitement into the reactions posted here. So which company do you work for, Sigfox or Atari? ;-)

@ Flojomojo: neither, I actually work for a Japanese IT company. However, taking into account how little effort it has taken to produce that website and teaser, it's a nice example of the power of digital marketing. And quite some Atari fans would be excited to see a new Atari hardware device, right?

@ Flojomojo: neither, I actually work for a Japanese IT company. However, taking into account how little effort it has taken to produce that website and teaser, it's a nice example of the power of digital marketing. And quite some Atari fans would be excited to see a new Atari hardware device, right?

I wouldn't say power of digital marketing as much as brand recognition. I mean if some no name company came out with the exact same thing but it was called the SegaBox nobody would bat an eye. Just kidding about Sega people would go crazy over it. But take a name nobody has heard of that come out with the same exact thing and commercial and no where near the buzz.

• Like 2

The last major Atari hardware was the Jaguar CD. Draw your own conclusions about how "excited" folks might be. Oh wait, you already have.

Welcome to the forums. Some people here are nicer than me.

I think any assumptions about crowd reaction should wait until something of substance is demonstrated. There are a lot of wannabe retro boxes competing for the nostalgia dollar nowadays. This will need to be special to stand out.

The name is neither necessary nor sufficient. Also see the recent kerfuffle over the Coleco brand.

• Like 3

This is the first first Atari 2600 based modern console that looks worth to buy. Hope it won't be only NTSC. The only other thing that would be nice is a "built-in Harmony", so you would only place your SD card in with the .bin and play the games with the extra functions.

And the best would be these things added with a built in low PC with DOS and Batari Basic. :D

This is the first first Atari 2600 based modern console that looks worth to buy. Hope it won't be only NTSC. The only other thing that would be nice is a "built-in Harmony", so you would only place your SD card in with the .bin and play the games with the extra functions.

And the best would be these things added with a built in low PC with DOS and Batari Basic. :D

No, you're thinking of the Retron 77 which has no affiliation with Atari even though it can run the games.

AtariBox is nothing but a sizzle reel so far as we know. Many speculations but we probably shouldn't raise hopes without more information.

I've been thinking about Atari and Sigfox, and it has me thinking the Ataribox could be a low cost computing and gaming solution for the third world that's also marketed to the first world. Kinda conflicts with some stuff Bill said though. Just my theory.

Edited by JDTAY

I wouldn't say power of digital marketing as much as brand recognition. I mean if some no name company came out with the exact same thing but it was called the SegaBox nobody would bat an eye. Just kidding about Sega people would go crazy over it. But take a name nobody has heard of that come out with the same exact thing and commercial and no where near the buzz.

True, but for as much brand recognition Atari has, why does nobody seem able to put it to good use? Putting the Atari name on new products (not retro) seems to work out more like a curse than a benefit

This paragraph on TechRadar got me thinking...

Another reason why it seems to be an ideal time to release the Ataribox is to sync up its release with Blade Runner 2049, which prominently features the Atari logo much like the original film.

Possible viral marketing for the new Blade Runner movie?

EDIT: I just re-read this thread. Well, my concept was an interesting thought.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 1

Hmm, what if a classic Atari video game system is seen in the movie, which is the AtariBox?

This paragraph on TechRadar got me thinking...

Possible viral marketing for the new Blade Runner movie?

EDIT: I just re-read this thread. Well, my concept was an interesting thought.