IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

At least Hyperkin, with its RetroN 77, didn't waste our time funking around with manipulative, email farming, sizzle reel, speculative, No idea if this is even actually retro, wouldn't you like to know, viral marketing, let's all talk about it and probably be wrong Bullshit!

RetroN 77!

Power to The People!

• Like 7

At least Hyperkin, with its RetroN 77, didn't waste our time funking around with manipulative, email farming, sizzle reel, speculative, No idea if this is even actually retro, wouldn't you like to know, viral marketing, let's all talk about it and probably be wrong Bullshit!

RetroN 77!

Power to The People!

It would be one thing if they had a countdown clock or something, but this indefinite "coming soon" BS is starting to wear thin. Especially with what Hyperkin and RetroN 77 debuted...

• Like 1

It would be one thing if they had a countdown clock or something, but this indefinite "coming soon" BS is starting to wear thin. Especially with what Hyperkin and RetroN 77 debuted...

There's this mentality that stringing people along will "generate interest" instead of just annoying them. Truth be told, it doesn't make you look secretive and mysterious, it makes you look like you don't know what you're doing and have nothing to show. This is a lesson I wish RetroBlox/Polymega would learn.

• Like 4

There's this mentality that stringing people along will "generate interest" instead of just annoying them. Truth be told, it doesn't make you look secretive and mysterious, it makes you look like you don't know what you're doing and have nothing to show. This is a lesson I wish RetroBlox/Polymega would learn.

It's quite possible they're not far enough along yet. If they wanted to create early buzz with minimal effort, then I think we can agree the strategy probably worked.

• Like 1

The problem here is that we know (almost) nothing based on what they've given us.

Don't get me wrong, there are some occasions where I do like a good mystery...And far all I know this will be something really cool. But if so INFORM US, don't BAIT US...You guys aren't the Master Baiters you think you are.

• Like 1

If I were to waste my time analyzing ...

(Why do I do this? Is it the drugs? No I don't have any....Anybody got any?)

I'd say ok...ATARI.

To me that says 2600 or 7800...To someone else it may mean 5200 or 800 or Jaguar. And someone else will say Why Not ALL of them?

Then I see wood grain so I think Retro...Someone else may remember fun times in a brown Ford Van...Come to think of it, I think of that too...

Then I see chrome and lights and, I dunno Sparkly Stuff...So I think Modern. To me that would mean HDMI, but some one else might think it means streaming or emulators or wireless something or others...

So I envision an HD brown Ford Van with wood paneling on the side, with USB ports where the cigarette lighter should be, with Atari emulators in the glove box, LED dome lights, a Bluetooth steering wheel, a joystick where the stereo should be and wireless shag carpet.

• Like 5

It's quite possible they're not far enough along yet. If they wanted to create early buzz with minimal effort, then I think we can agree the strategy probably worked.

The problem is that there is just enough information out there to knock down every reasonable rumor (i.e. not tied to past console, etc). So what is left are message boards like this one filled with jokes mocking it. Or worse, dismissing it outright.

• Like 1

It actually doesn't bother me that much. I like the mystery of it and being baffled over something like this. XD

Also, I really love the idea of a modern digital-based game system that has a retro aesthetic on it. I think that could look really slick while also looking vintage.

• Like 1

The problem is that there is just enough information out there to knock down every reasonable rumor (i.e. not tied to past console, etc). So what is left are message boards like this one filled with jokes mocking it. Or worse, dismissing it outright.

Jokes mocking it? The hell you say!

It actually doesn't bother me that much. I like the mystery of it and being baffled over something like this. XD

Also, I really love the idea of a modern digital-based game system that has a retro aesthetic on it. I think that could look really slick while also looking vintage.

The catch is, for this to pay off, the reward in the ultimate reveal must be greater than the sense of confusion created by the teasing. The people being teased want to think their patience had a purpose. That's, of course, still a possibility... but this hobby has been littered with vaporware and bad PR, especially in the past three years. You would hope a company with half a brain would be cognizant of that.

• Like 3

So I envision an HD brown Ford Van with wood paneling on the side, with USB ports where the cigarette lighter should be, with Atari emulators in the glove box, LED dome lights, a Bluetooth steering wheel, a joystick where the stereo should be and wireless shag carpet.

post-3717-0-49956400-1497470218_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Ha ha! That would be neat. But nope, that's an artificial intelligence engine developed by a third party that knows how to play Atari games.

That looked really fun. Maybe someday they teach a robot how to play a more complex game like Super Mario Bros. How would the risk/reward system differentiate between a detrimental item such as a Goomba versus helpful ones such as Mushrooms? Would it stumble upon stuff like warp zones and 1ups without being told where they are?

I would also love to see a Tetris playing robot, and one with realtime cameras or video capture of the feed leaving the console, not just zombie robots playing a pre-recorded sequence of moves into the controller port.

That looked really fun. Maybe someday they teach a robot how to play a more complex game like Super Mario Bros. How would the risk/reward system differentiate between a detrimental item such as a Goomba versus helpful ones such as Mushrooms? Would it stumble upon stuff like warp zones and 1ups without being told where they are?

I would also love to see a Tetris playing robot, and one with realtime cameras or video capture of the feed leaving the console, not just zombie robots playing a pre-recorded sequence of moves into the controller port.

That someday is now.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tom7/mario/

From my limited understanding, (I didn't read the paper, just watched the videos), this neural network learning computer doesn't really understand the goals of the game but figures it out by itself, which makes it a great general purpose solution (although he cheats in video 2 and gives the algorithm some additional goals due to "bug" in SMB that allows you to keep moving right when you fall in a pit, like increasing level, score, x-rightmost position, is good and losing lives is bad) It just plays the game using random inputs and looks for locations in RAM that increase in value, and determines that those sections of RAM are important and try to increase there value.

We also have an AI that can roll Ms Pacman on the VCS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQyWMHFjewU

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 1

Heh, maybe the AtariBox might offer an AI pal for PLAYER TWO, so one doesn't have to game alone, unlike those OTHER PEOPLE, who don't understand the DEEP LOVE for the 8-bit bleeps and boops. ;)

I imagine that the still learning AI would take a couple ass lickings from the human player, then it would learn how to cheat death and the human would never stand a chance again. Of course you could always handicap the AI opponent by adding a delay to it's outputs, giving the human player more time to react! :evil:

True, but for as much brand recognition Atari has, why does nobody seem able to put it to good use? Putting the Atari name on new products (not retro) seems to work out more like a curse than a benefiTruesu

True, seems to work much better for 'retro' than for any other products. I wonder how it worked out for ROAM? http://roamwith.com/atari/

Anyway, the goal of the current Atari management is to transform Atari into a 'lifestyle company' but without forgetting their glory past (games) and this transformation process will take time and is probably a huge job.

If you follow the development of the company, then it looks like the current French/American-team is bringing the company back to track (and moderate profits) ... in little steps, of course.

I often hear that the current Atari is nothing else than a merchandising company but honestly I can spot it's again becoming something more substantial.

You know, everytime there's yet another "Atari Is Back!" article people think this is the new Atari console coming out...

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=336&h=188&st

But this is the "Atari" product we'll end up getting...

s-l300.jpg

At least AtGames and now Hyperkin gives us actual Atari games to play now.

• Like 4

You know, everytime there's yet another "Atari Is Back!" article people think this is the new Atari console coming out...

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=336&h=188&st

Too true. I'm amazed how many thoughts are out there that Atari is somehow going to take on the big three. Even if they were fantasizing about attempting something along those lines, they would still only be competing in the secondary, niche tier of consoles like Nvidia Shield TV.

• Like 3