IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I e-mailed their development inquiry e-mail with interest in development, and basically they said, "You guessed it, it's a platform you can develop things for, but stay tuned!"

Yeah, my response also had a "you have already guessed..." line in it. Funny, why wouldn't they be more upfront about it being a new platform? Looking at Atari's Facebook and twitter posts about the Ataribox, half the responses are convinced this is another flashback system. They really should announce more details as soon as they can to clear up confusion.

• Like 5

Yeah, my response also had a "you have already guessed..." line in it. Funny, why wouldn't they be more upfront about it being a new platform? Looking at Atari's Facebook and twitter posts about the Ataribox, half the responses are convinced this is another flashback system. They really should announce more details as soon as they can to clear up confusion.

Nice. :)

Yeah must just be a standard response until it's ready to be revealed, though you'd think they'd put those e-mails up after the fact then. Curious, but oh well, I'm still interested in learning more. :)

I can't help but feel it will be a box that connects to a VR headset. That would fulfill the "not a traditional console" comment. It also won't be tied to any current console (such as xbox, ps4, etc), meaning it's not a "special edition" of those units, but a new unit.

Maybe it wil have wireless controllers with the headset, and the box would be the unit to process the games? Maybe a new way to play the classic games (more likely new ones)?

Just a shot.

I can't help but feel it will be a box that connects to a VR headset. That would fulfill the "not a traditional console" comment. It also won't be tied to any current console (such as xbox, ps4, etc), meaning it's not a "special edition" of those units, but a new unit.

Maybe it wil have wireless controllers with the headset, and the box would be the unit to process the games? Maybe a new way to play the classic games (more likely new ones)?

Just a shot.

First Person Adventure in VR would rule

• Like 1

I'm glad VentureBeat was able to speak to Fred Chesnais directly, if only for the fact that I no longer have to be evasive. Being PC-based is about all you need to know at this point anyway. Everything else, we can wait to see how they roll it out.

But by "PC based" do they just mean it runs on intel compatible hardware like Macs and PS4 do, using a custom environment, or a full-on Wintel or Lintel hardware appliance? I'm guessing the former, in which case being PC based doesn't mean much other than confirming it's not going for retro games

PC-based? Does that mean it'll be open to development? That's what I originally asked when I emailed them and didn't really get an answer. I'm all about devices I can mess around on.

At this point, it kinda sounds like a cheap and user friendly gaming PC, which some of us have been guessing.

It had better be open to development, as there's a "Develop" email address on https://www.ataribox.com

If it's PC-based, I wonder if it's locked down in some way? Why else would a specific development environment be needed?

I'm all about cheap and friendly. Even so, I'm interested to know why anyone should wait to buy an "Atari" PC when Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, or Toshiba have products in stores right now, and don't rely on gimmicky "secret" marketing?

• Like 2

Just had a thought. What if I'm thinking too far outside the box about this? My new guess is simply a device for streaming from your PC to your TV. Doesn't that already exist, you say? Yes, but not in Atari form. It'd be cheaper than a real system, and they could just load an Atari app on your PC for proprietary games.

I'm all about cheap and friendly. Even so, I'm interested to know why anyone should wait to buy an "Atari" PC when Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, or Toshiba have products in stores right now, and don't rely on gimmicky "secret" marketing?

Well, for one thing, it's probably best not to think of it as a full-blown general purpose computer like what you're comparing it to. I don't think it's giving too much away by saying that it's meant to have a home in an entertainment center (although I don't personally want wood grain in my entertainment center). It also would be priced quite a bit less than a traditional computer would typically be. Like I said previously, if they can get the price/performance ratio they were targeting (I think it would be tough), it might have some interest in the type of niche that something like the Nvidia Shield TV occupies. Beyond that, it comes down, of course, to the value-adds (services, games, etc.) that Atari and their partner come up with. I have no idea what direction they went with that (or are planning to go with that). EDIT: Pretty positive that it wouldn't have changed to streaming of any type.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1