IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I don't know if this article has already been linked, but it came across my Google alerts feed:

In the age of the Xbox One X, Atari is going to struggle to compete with a new console

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/technology/age-xbox-one-x-atari-going-struggle-compete-new-console/

Fred Chesnais, chief executive, told GamesBeat Atari was “back in the hardware business” at this week’s E3, adding it was based on PC technology and that its design is still being finalised. A video uploaded to new site Ataribox.com appears to show a wood-paneled machine with a light-up Atari logo.

• Like 1

So

1) Bushnell Atari

2) Warner Atari

3) Tramiel Atari

4) Atari Games

5) JTS Atari

6) Hasbro Atari

7) Infogrames Atari

8) Ataribox Atari

Did I miss any?

I don't think so, but I think you've confused yourself ...

First there was Atari Inc, founded by Nolan Bushnell with Pong and later, the VCS.

This company was split up in 1983.

Atari, SA is the current Atari, and it's the same as Infogrames Atari, the one that's been shaken and stirred by bankruptcies and selloffs from 2013 onwards. They have the stuff formerly held by Atari Corp, the joint that made the VCS, all the computers, and the Jaguar.

#4 on your list, Atari Games, is a different company entirely, and their stuff (mostly post-1993 arcade games) was eaten by Midway Games, who along with Williams and Bally, are owned by Warner Bros Entertainment.

It's super confusing, especially since no one has done anything with the wonderful 1983 game I, Robot.

• Like 4

8) Barry, who won Atari in a poker match Atari

9) Midwestern Insurance Company holdings Atari

10) that guy who hocked up the priceof epiPen Atari

11) Shout! Factory Atari - we'll re-release anything!

12) that time Atari was accidentally left at a Kansas rest stop, so it was public domain for 3 days Atari

13) Activision, who bought the name as an April fool's prank Atari

14) that weirdo who sold Atari from a Craigslist ad Atari

I think that's it.

• Like 10

I don't think so, but I think you've confused yourself ...

First there was Atari Inc, founded by Nolan Bushnell with Pong and later, the VCS.

This company was split up in 1983.

I'm just referring to the ownership here, how many times it changed hands. You can say that Atari under Warner and Atari under Bushnell are the same company and they were. But Bushnell sold it to them and left, and Warner ran the company differently than Bushnell did, so it's definitely a different Atari era.

Atari Games was the remnants of the original Atari at Warner, the portion that Tramiel didn't want to purchase.

Atari Games was the remnants of the original Atari at Warner, the portion that Tramiel didn't want to purchase.

More specifically, Atari Games was the Coin-Op/Arcade group. Tramiel was after the consumer market, so it wouldn't have made sense for him to buy the arcade division.

It would never work. Kids these days too spoiled by mobile phones and instant gratification. There is nothing "instant" about programming a game.

Maybe for us though? But you're probably right. At least bring back that Garry Kitchen thing.

• Like 1

Maybe for us though? But you're probably right. At least bring back that Garry Kitchen thing.

I don't agree. I think there are tons of wonderful Garry Kitchen's GameMaker-like products out there, and plenty of creative outlets for today's youth that take the options open to us in decade's past to the next level. About the only thing they don't have that we had was a default programming language like BASIC with their computers, but that's not necessarily a bad thing given what's available to those sufficiently motivated.

They actually paired up with a company from Japan, and the new platform is a sexbot. :P

On a more serious note, these are indeed strange times we live in. Like I said in the other thread, technically speaking the Xbox One and PS4 are 'PC based technology.' That could literally mean anything. But if Valve partnered with Atari on a Steam Machine that wasn't a generic one, but the 'official' one, that'd be kind of cool. Especially with how many games I have supported under Linux.

Build it in with emulation of all their old systems, and good times had by all.

Someone should sign up as a dev for them :P

• Like 1

I'm joking with you. I have no idea if you'll like it or not, but you seem enthusiastic about it either way.

The funny thing is... a lot of the articles out there are assuming it's going to be a 'retro' platform. But clearly the words coming out about it are 'this is a new PC based platform'. so... do we start getting Defender 2020, Breakout 2020, etc? :)

The funny thing is... a lot of the articles out there are assuming it's going to be a 'retro' platform. But clearly the words coming out about it are 'this is a new PC based platform'. so... do we start getting Defender 2020, Breakout 2020, etc? :)

In the year twenty-twenty,

if Man's population is still plenty,

we'll be doing something rather good,

playing a console made with faux wood.

• Like 3

Value adds... Services... My mind is still swirling.

If this thing goes in a home entertainment center, but the services don't involve streaming, just what the heck are they? Bill said that this isn't necessarily an innovative device and that the hardware value they were offering was probably gonna be its biggest market differentiator. I have a dumb question...

Does this thing include 3D printing? Sigfox's talk of a new dimension of gaming had me thinking about that. Is this a service for downloading physical games, like card and board?

Value adds... Services... My mind is still swirling.

If this thing goes in a home entertainment center, but the services don't involve streaming, just what the heck are they? Bill said that this isn't necessarily an innovative device and that the hardware value they were offering was probably gonna be its biggest market differentiator. I have a dumb question...

Does this thing include 3D printing? Sigfox's talk of a new dimension of gaming had me thinking about that. Is this a service for downloading physical games, like card and board?

It prints out baby Atari 2600s.

• Like 3

8) Barry, who won Atari in a poker match Atari

9) Midwestern Insurance Company holdings Atari

10) that guy who hocked up the priceof epiPen Atari

11) Shout! Factory Atari - we'll re-release anything!

12) that time Atari was accidentally left at a Kansas rest stop, so it was public domain for 3 days Atari

13) Activision, who bought the name as an April fool's prank Atari

14) that weirdo who sold Atari from a Craigslist ad Atari

I think that's it.

15) Chris (The Fun is Back) Cardillo Atari bought for $1

• Like 3

Let's take a step back a moment. I was referring to it not being a streaming device when I said that unless something changed, this is not meant to stream games. That was obviously in reference to guesses that this would be a game streaming box/service (which is actually something of a challenge/cost prohibitive). By the very nature of this being a PC-based device, of course it should be able to run the usual suspects like Netflix and what-not. Whether it will, who knows?