IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

What I want to know is if the AtariBox has any physical media. I already know from this quote from Bill:

No. Nothing to do with any modern console.

And for others, definitely no cartridge ports.

There are no cartridge ports. That leaves the possibility for disc media (and card-based media, if they're not considered 'cartridges').

In my opinion without the inclusion of any ability for physical media, even if they'res only 4 games ever released for it (I'm looking at you Coleco Telstar Arcade), I would still buy the AtariBox day one for whatever price it's listed for. Without physical media, my interest is dead.

Another question is how exactly Bill knows about the technical specifications of the AtariBox in the first place. He seemingly knows more than he's letting on most of the time. Maybe I'm one of the few to not know, though curiosity is still strong enough to pose the question.

I'm expecting that my questions are to be left unanswered, until the day of announcement. On the off chance that they are, I do look forward to it.

Apple naming their OS releases after cats don't count, needs to be hardware! Granted, I still like Debian's use of Toy Story characters. Yay for Stretch being released!

The PS4 and Xbox One both use "Jaguar" CPUs, does that count? :P

Another question is how exactly Bill knows about the technical specifications of the AtariBox in the first place. He seemingly knows more than he's letting on most of the time. Maybe I'm one of the few to not know, though curiosity is still strong enough to pose the question.

I'm expecting that my questions are to be left unanswered, until the day of announcement. On the off chance that they are, I do look forward to it.

I don't think Bill really has given any real specifications and he has even stated that it was something he was briefly involved with, months ago. So his comments might not be accurate at all.

That said... His, is the only external information that seems remotely related. And no one (from Atari or the "partner") has spoken out to debunk or contextualize what he has said. And you know they have to be watching the buzz around this, especially here on AtariAge since this appears to be the most active discussion about it online.

So until we know more, it's the best we've got.

I don't want to go into details since, as a professional courtesy, I don't want to reveal what's not mine to reveal. I've been merely trying to debunk the most outlandish claims, and, in particular, who the partner might be or what the product might be (and usually specifically how it relates (or in this case, doesn't relate) to AtGames, who I do work for on a regular basis).

And yes, frankly I'm surprised how much traction my fairly casual comments here on AtariAge have gained, which multiple news outlets (some of which I freelance for) have picked up on. There's a lot of interest in this for whatever reason. Good for Atari, but it ultimately doesn't involve me. If I knew my casual debunking would have caused such a fuss, I would have probably just kept my mouth shut.

• Like 5

Shoot, I really do need to find something else to do besides talk about Ataribox. I think I've pushed Bill to the edge. Gotta remember that people besides me actually have lives. >_>

Like I said before, I have a condition that makes me obsess over certain things at times. It can be rough on those around me. I apologize if I've become annoying.

There's a lot of interest in this for whatever reason. Good for Atari,

It just shows that their teaser marketing strategy is working. As much as some of us find it annoying, it has gained more interest than a straight up announcement probably would have.

Shoot, I really do need to find something else to do besides talk about Ataribox. I think I've pushed Bill to the edge. Gotta remember that people besides me actually have lives. >_>

Like I said before, I have a condition that makes me obsess over certain things at times. It can be rough on those around me. I apologize if I've become annoying.

I hope I didn't help make you feel that way and I'm sorry if I did.

I feel we all may have pushed Bill too far, in some respects.

Please, no one take anything personally. I'm merely stating I did not wish to become a source of any leaks/confirmation, which various news outlets did. I don't consider it professional to do that because it was not my place to do so. While I'm comfortable I didn't reveal anything of significance, I was still indicating that if I had to do it over again, I might reconsider and let it play out on its own. Of course, part of me denying some of the speculation may very well have fueled the rumor mill, so it was no doubt in Atari's favor (i.e., it helped build on its own momentum) and they still have their mystery, so it was probably a win-win in its own way. In any case, as I've stated elsewhere, I have no more info to give. I'll be just as surprised as everyone else what the final form takes from when I first saw the idea half a year ago.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 3

Well, as long as you say I'm not being a bother... More speculation!

So it goes in a home entertainment center, does in fact play games, but is not meant to take on the big three. He said a success on the level of Nvidia Shield is probably what they're hoping for. Said the hardware would be a good relative value. Noting use of the word relative, I'm guessing it's cheap. Said value adds and services would be an x factor. Said those could have changed since he saw it though.

Just what did he see? Maybe it really is just a cheap console. That services part still gets me though. He said it isn't necessarily an innovative device, just a good relative hardware value, presumably in relation to the service it provides. So what services are already on the market that rely on hardware that could be cheaper?

I'd hate to say cable replacement box like Roku, because those are already really cheap, and some even play games too, just like Ataribox presumably will. But then again, what if Atari managed to snag exclusive content? That sounds too expensive for them though. Hmmmm...

• Like 1

All of the AtariBox threads are literally "much ado about nothing." We don't know enough to have a meaningful discussion. I think Atari's teaser video fails to prompt any interesting questions, and the media stories of "Atari is back" are just as boring and stupid as the "Coleco is back" stories we heard a while back.

• Like 3

Has anyone pulled a recent list of Atari's software ownership? They have been producing games have they not? I would tend to think their plans would be on a cheap platform with their game IP's which then might not be also produced for Sony,Nintendo,Microsoft,etc. Thoughts?

• Like 1

With all the talk about AT Games and Ataribox, I think the real eyeopener here has to be the Retron77 since it plays Atari carts in 1080 HD! AT Games is only 720. If Hyperkin can get most of the popular games to be compatible, I think that will be the system to get this year without a doubt!

Rollercoaster Tycoon seems to be the only recent game, otherwise they are mostly doing mobile versions of classics, right?

Maybe it's going to be one of those embedded intel systems; https://www.tomsguide.com/us/intel-broadwell-nuc-mini-pc,review-2688.html

With the logo in Bladerunner 2049, maybe they'll have a cool movie tie-in game (or release implants or do an x86 based Replicant pleasure doll. Probably can only afford old Daryl Hannah though.)

• Like 1

There are no cartridge ports. That leaves the possibility for disc media (and card-based media, if they're not considered 'cartridges').

Unsubstantiated rumor: The AtariBox will support Laserdiscs. Time to start searching eBay for that copy of Astron Belt you've always wanted to play!

With all the talk about AT Games and Ataribox, I think the real eyeopener here has to be the Retron77 since it plays Atari carts in 1080 HD! AT Games is only 720. If Hyperkin can get most of the popular games to be compatible, I think that will be the system to get this year without a doubt!

Unsubstantiated rumor: The AtariBox will support 4K, 3D, VR, HDR and Dolby Atmos. You've never played Video Chess like this before!

(Let's see how long those take to show up on some "news" website... :roll: )

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 5

Unsubstantiated rumor: The AtariBox will support Laserdiscs. Time to start searching eBay for that copy of Astron Belt you've always wanted to play!

Unsubstantiated rumor: The AtariBox will support 4K, 3D, VR, HDR and Dolby Atmos. You've never played Video Chess like this before!

Also, expect a system-on-a-chip architecture built into a 1010 tape drive. Software delivery will be via broadcast television; just record the left audio channel of your local Atari station to cassette and enjoy the finest that modern gaming has to offer.

• Like 1

It just shows that their teaser marketing strategy is working. As much as some of us find it annoying, it has gained more interest than a straight up announcement probably would have.

This is only true if the announcement is not exciting. Something truly awesome or game changing, just go ahead and announce it already. Otherwise you are just over hyping a turd, and turd polishing is exactly that. So essentially I think Atari or their partners are hyping up a device that either already exists from another competitor, or is just completely lame so they don't want to reveal it yet, and rather ride the hype train. So all this "new and exciting" with zero details shows you don't have anything. Haven't we all had our fill of smoke and mirrors product announcements?

I hope it supports older LCDs with only 1080i/720p resolution. If you force 1080p on my 2006 Sanyo, it goes "unsupported signal".

Is there meaningful difference between 720 and 1080 when you're playing VCS games?

• Like 1

Someone here linked that same press release as posted on Sigfox's website earlier, either in this thread or another. I gotta admit, I don't remember it being so detailed though. The parts about using IoT to expand the interactive environment and bring a new dimension to gaming really get my imagination going.