IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Quick question does Indiegogo work like Kickstarter? In that it is an all or nothing type of thing? I've only used Kickstarter and have had a lot of luck with it in as far as I've so far not been burned, but I've heard some of these sites just take whatever money they make, regardless if they get funded 100%.

Most Mac people don't know they are running Linux. It's all so confusing.

That's because they aren't.

macOS is so confusing on what it is and wants to be... It uses the Darwin kernel which is based on a Mach / BSD hybrid kernel with a BSD userland...even huge Mac fans don't get this until I point it out to them. But thwn Apple had to ruin this great idea by not keeping it veryup to date and hiding the Unix bits under a crappy closed source UI.

At least Linux is pretty much open fron top to bottom, though I wonder if the Ataribox has its own interface if it will be open source or not.

"What, Atari made computers!?" - Everyone not on AtariAge icon_rolleyes.gif

It isn't targeting everyone. It is targeting a niche. That niche appears to be everyone on Atariage(and similar communities) mixed with everyone in the Linux community(possibly the bigger of the two communities). Anyway, a common theme that you will find in the Linux community when they explain why they enjoy the freedom, tinkering around, using the command line in terminals, etc. is that it takes them back to how things were done on retro computers(AKA nostalgia for a time when they would have been the people fully aware that Atari made computers as well as other manufacturers). Another common theme is they pay attention to every computer that is preinstalled with Linux(example). The Atari 2600 has been milked to death with Flashbacks and so forth and part of people knowing about it more than their computer line is knowing that they failed at consoles with the 2600 almost being a symbol of the video game crash. So, it kind of seems ridiculous to me for them to say,"We are back in the console business!" with that design. Before even starting it gives the high expectation that it is trying to compete with the Big 3 while at the same time gives the impression that they would fail.

On the other hand, if they were to say,"We are back in the computer business!" with a reimagined look that brings to mind their old computers, market them as computers that can also play games, create their own Atari Linux distro, target the Linux community, etc. then it just gives the lower expectation that they are competing against other companies that preinstall Linux on their computers and more likely that they would succeed because that is competing in a niche. It would allow them to make more computers later without having to sell millions of the first like they would with a console. They could also steer clear of slogans that are very console gaming specific like,"Have you played Atari today?" to ones that are more broad like,"Discover Atari and discover how far you can go."

• Like 3

Quick question does Indiegogo work like Kickstarter? In that it is an all or nothing type of thing? I've only used Kickstarter and have had a lot of luck with it in as far as I've so far not been burned, but I've heard some of these sites just take whatever money they make, regardless if they get funded 100%.

I kind of think Indiegogo is an all or nothing. The Jolla tablet funded, money was given to them and we all got dicked, well maybe not 50-200 people that got the tablet. I think they still owe me half the money back...

At least Super Troopers 2 got made.

Actually unlike Kickstarter, Indiegogo gives campaigners a choice of doing an all or nothing campaign, or a flexible campaign. Flexible campaigns mean the campaigner will get the cash even if the target is not reached - the campaigner still has to deliver the perks though.

• Like 2

Ohhh, how it must have been....the parties, the hot tubbing, the free flow of unbridled creativity, the sheer variety of cannabis....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YGwyHwOBgo&list=PLtRd4yA2uiK39qsGWRC-PcDy-X2QN29pR

In another more recent documentary, Nolan talks about (paraphrasing) how all of the designers were "nerds that wanted to get laid" and "what better way to motivate and incentivize than to hold monthly parties if quotas were being met". An ideal business model, that is until those cranky/greedy/clueless old Warner's came along and spoiled all the fun. :(

This is exactly how I want to run a business if I'm ever in a position to hire people. Except for the pot. Can't stand the smell of the stuff.

So, work for me and I'm sorry but all you'd have is the cocaine.

To clarify the kind of look I'm thinking of for a new Atari computer, I'm thinking of something like a modernized version of the 1200XL:

225779-atari_evolution_03_original.jpg

With a modernized flashy look something like mixing it with the concept drawings of the Atari 2600 Voice Commander Module:

2600jr-concept.jpg

And then the keyboard can detach to switch between console/TV and computer/monitor use like the XEGS:

Atari_XE_Games_System-gen1.jpg

I would find a Linux based Atari computer like that more interesting than yet another Atari 2600 that is pretending to be a console but is just a Linux based Atari computer.

• Like 5

To clarify the kind of look I'm thinking of for a new Atari computer, I'm thinking of something like a modernized version of the 1200XL:

With a modernized flashy look something like mixing it with the concept drawings of the Atari 2600 Voice Commander Module:

And then the keyboard can detach to switch between console/TV and computer/monitor use like the XEGS:

I would find a Linux based Atari computer like that more interesting than yet another Atari 2600 that is pretending to be a console but is just a Linux based Atari computer.

and what stops you from starting indiegogo campaign? You can't be any less credible that the ataribox guy ;D

• Like 2

But at the end of the day, what's being created? Somebody else's computer hardware running open source OS inside a plastic box with a name on it. At best the "developer" put his name on it, big whoop. That's what these clowns don't get. Any idiot can make a project box and slap somebody else's hardware inside and stick a logo on it. That does not a successful product make.

• Like 1

But at the end of the day, what's being created? Somebody else's computer hardware running open source OS inside a plastic box with a name on it. At best the "developer" put his name on it, big whoop. That's what these clowns don't get. Any idiot can make a project box and slap somebody else's hardware inside and stick a logo on it. That does not a successful product make.

that's exactly why it is called 'Ataribox'.

What is being created is a box - with 'Atari' on it.

• Like 2

It's become soooo stupid that they even had people fawning over the render of the cardboard box that doesn't exist which is supposed to contain the plastic box that barely exists. We need a good Darwin Award for the fans of this one.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/19702945_326043897833533_2843886787022356856_o.jpg?oh=e6a92762da900618ba267881528eef9a&oe=5A4196AC

If anyone can do it, why hasn't anyone else done it yet? This isn't a Raspberry Pi. It's custom modern AMD hardware. And the whole point of using an open source OS is that users will be able to do what they want. I thought the only reason people kept preferring locked down consoles to computers was price, but if this forum is anything to go by, maybe people are actually afraid of freedom.

• Like 1

BTW, I've been following the saga of something called the Dragonbox Pyra for years now, a.k.a. one man's quest to put "somebody else's computer hardware running open source OS inside a plastic box with a name on it", and it's a bit harder than you may think.

• Like 1

I think the reason why it's being pushed as a game machine/streaming box instead of a computer is pretty simple. Even though they'd both be niche target markets the way the product is being developed/presented, the former has the potential to be a larger niche than the latter, and those-in-the-know (existing Linux fans) can still (presumably, assuming few restrictions) make it like the latter. Also, if you pitched it like a computer, that would turn off quite a few more people than pitching it as something more accessible. You can see this need for accessibility by how a certain segment of the community is uncritically accepting of it simply because it has the Atari name on it and hits some generalized checkboxes (Atari games, pseudo-retro case styling, etc.). I'd argue you'd potentially turn those people off by pitching it as something more sophisticated like a computer.

• Like 1

I think it could do well as a Linux gaming console which would attract that crowd. Not only that, but it will also attract the Linux crowd in general as an open Linux box which can be used for a variety of reasons(streaming, steam box potentially etc) including their own tinkering.

I guess it's different to what people had hoped for or where expecting here , and therefor isn't a huge match for the wants of a lot of people here. But that doesn't mean it won't find a market and succeed. Think of it like how the iphone was a paradigm shift for Apple, and how the Apple crowd expecting more or less just computing products from Apple, must have felt the phone direction was out of synch with what they belived Apple was about. As we saw with the iPhone, paradigm shifts don't necessarily mean fail .

I guess we will need to wait and see the details though. At this stage we still know very little. I'm guessing the IGG campaign will be up within 5 weeks to avoid the end of the campaign running into December holiday season.

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 2

I think it could do well as a Linux gaming console which would attract that crowd. Not only that, but it will also attract the Linux crowd in general as an open Linux box which can be used for a variety of reasons including their own tinkering.

I guess it's different to what people had hoped for or where expecting here , and therefor isn't a huge match for the wants of a lot of people here. But that doesn't mean it won't find a market and succeed. Think of it like how the iphone was a paradigm shift for Apple, and how the Apple crowd expecting more or less just computing products from Apple, must have felt the phone direction was out of synch with what they belived Apple was about. As we saw with the iPhone, paradigm shifts don't necessarily mean fail .

I guess we will need to wait and see the details though. At this stage we still know very little. I'm guessing the IGG campaign will be up within 5 weeks to avoid the end of the campaign running into December holiday season.

OK, I'll bite. What paradigm is exactly being shifted here? This is limited as both a streaming box and game machine, each of which we have either separate or in combination with far more content already than this will ever have, and at most times at a cheaper price and likely with far more power. And it remains to be seen how useful this will be as a computer.