IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Me thinks you give them way, way too much credit. If they produce anything, I feel certain it will be on a pico ATX board at 3.94" x 2.83". That rendered box they keep showing is designed to accommodate that. Pico ATX is a standard form factor now, so they have breakouts and headers for USB, video, audio etc. The board wouldn't need an RF shield any more than any other motherboard slapped in a generic ATX case except for maybe a plate on the back. There's just no way they are designing a board to their specs, nor would they need to.

And you bring up some good points. In all honesty, I could see it going either way on the bought-in vs. in-house PCB argument - but I do agree that bought-in would be the lowest-impact (read: least amount of effort and financal resources required) approach. If they can get that sort of package through certification (which may very well be possible), more power to them.

It's possible AMD is actually putting something together for them for a specific quantity order, but that would just be a minor tweak to their assembly run. Honestly, I don't believe they are doing that much, and it's doubtful you'll ever see a board from them as powerful as the ones I mentioned.

Also a definite possibility, and, given what we know of the company, it is doubtful that they have the resources to develop their own design. This approach would make a lot of sense.

Today's Atari is using their boy Fraggle Mac to do this, so true to form, he will buy an obscure Chinese cheapo board, slap a brand on it and mark it up, if he can do that much.

Based on the history of the gameband, it seems as though he can't even pull that move off successfully. Then again, he only needs to get lucky once.

Hacked PS TV stuffed into one of those shells made from a 3D printer?? That picture could be anything or nothing.

Not sure if this or Polymega gets the Coleco Chameleon 2.0 award.....

Mouse cursor on screen, don't think the PS TV has one.

Mouse cursor on screen, don't think the PS TV has one.

I didn't see that cursor on the screen, and you are probably right.. at least it doesn't have one like that. It looks like the standard cursor from a Mac, but I guess any *nix could have something similar. Anyway, the PS TV in a shell was a bit tongue and cheek.

Still, nothing in that photo convinces me.....

• Like 1

If they can get that sort of package through certification (which may very well be possible), more power to them.

its not 1977 anymore radio emissions and immunity are at the board level now, and for consumer devices are pretty lax requirements (compared to aeronautics and automotive, which is the space I work in), I am not saying that they couldn't design a board, but it seems really silly to do so for such a plop n go device as this thing seems to be.

what is most likely to happen is (if it happens) they have a concept and a set of spec's, they end up with a contract designer who takes a off the shelf design and makes it fit a form factor, once design is in hand and a few prototypes pass compliance testing, its handed off to a manufacture.

AMD isnt putting their top minds on it to revolutionize the industry, there's not an entire lab of people hammering the details out, some person talked to a rep, who knows a company, who hears the pitch, and hands it off to someone like me as a "weekend garage project" cause its not worth their time even exploring. Then I am going to copy paste a reference design and move shit around to fit the holes in the plastic, and once I am done I collect the check and toss the mess over the wall to the next guy in the process

a lot of the times the CD and the CM are the same house, usually located in regions that have very low labor costs

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

On the issue of the "release" of the gameband they explicitly said September. When asked "Why no delivery?" in the latest Ataribox interview about it Fraggle Mac simply answered "it will be delivered". Nothing more. Would you accept such an answer if it was your Ataribox on the line?

Given that he is a proven spin-doctor what doesn't say he's given the same treatment to his suppliers as to his fans?

Remember that his USB bracelet was basically a simple do-it-urself-in-da-hood mockup based on Alibaba resells that he openly gave away how to do it on the very page he was selling it on. Oh and he remade it into a Minecraft/Terraria band too.

All of this is based off previous adventures in Fraggle-land. I still hope that the Box will launch and deliver. Whatever it may be.

Look at the specs of this 20 dollar box and remind me again why this new box should cost $300.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_401684.html?lkid=11784315&SID=fe2.4.2mgV.0.1Eb92E.1oGRpW.a.AW.3

Android TV Box for $22 - $4 off with coupon code BEV88 [Exp 12/31] = $18 with free shipping.

• Like 2

Look at the specs of this 20 dollar box and remind me again why this new box should cost $300.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_401684.html?lkid=11784315&SID=fe2.4.2mgV.0.1Eb92E.1oGRpW.a.AW.3

Android TV Box for $22 - $4 off with coupon code BEV88 [Exp 12/31] = $18 with free shipping.

cause they are doing it wrong

• Like 3

Probably because the power difference between a ARM SoC is pretty crap to your typical AMD APU based system like the PS4 and Xbox One is. At least that is what AMD would show off. Let's face it, th e reson the Ouya filed is because no one wanted to play Android games on a TV. Hell, I don't even like playing Android games at all...

On the issue of the "release" of the gameband they explicitly said September.

On June 4th backers were told that delivery would be delayed to December.

The updated schedule we have worked with our partner would see DVT1 happening in September, DVT2 in October, and Kickstarter units shipping in early December.

Probably because the power difference between a ARM SoC is pretty crap to your typical AMD APU based system like the PS4 and Xbox One is. At least that is what AMD would show off. Let's face it, th e reson the Ouya filed is because no one wanted to play Android games on a TV. Hell, I don't even like playing Android games at all...

No one has confirmed its an amd apu and arm runs linux just fine tyvm

Even if it is an apu and not some overstock geodes its going to be a low end one

All we know at the moment is that it has some Atari games and they attached amd... FFS it could be the network controller for all we know

Edited by Osgeld

No one has confirmed its an amd apu and arm runs linux just fine tyvm

Even if it is an apu and not some overstock geodes its going to be a low end one

Except that they have. https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2017/09/26/amd-scores-another-custom-chip-design-win-with-the-upcoming-ataribox-game-console/

And why would it be a low end one? PS4 sells for 300... It literally could be the same board in the PS4. I mean why would AMD actually have a press release about it if they were just going to throw a chunk of crap?

I dunno what you linked it just sends me to a spam page with random articles on it

and why would it be a low one, cause they dont have a fuckton of money to actually peak AMD's interest, remember SONY takes a large loss on hardware to make it up in software licences by people who make games that sell tens to hundreds of millions of dollars worth of copies

atari has some emulator glued together with a front end already available

Edited by Osgeld

The reason the gameband is suspect has little to do with their schedule. Based on their "demo" video, they establish a garden variety android os running on a $30 - $50 Chinese smart watch with an interchangeable plastic snap-on bezel in black, red and grey. My kids $10 watch from Wal Mart does that. They don't even show the software running on the watch. They use some other round watch to show basically nothing. it should be interesting to hear what backers think if they get it delivered.

• Like 1

No, it's a natural high from all the respect and good will that's shared here. ;)

I cant speak for everyone here, but I and a few others have real world experience with electronics development and game software

if one honestly thinks a emulator front end, a couple pictures of cases, most of which are renders, a indygogo campaign and some brand hype is going to produce a current gen (granted entry level) PS4 quality machine for the same MSRP as SONY and Microsoft.... I got some beans to sell you

Dang, if you give me 100,000$ though my go fund me I got something that will compete with the switch in the mobile market, here's a concept

13194954-game-pad-doodle.jpg?ver=6

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 8