IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

A lot of people don't seem to understand this, and assume a project is DOA if they don't get all the info they want at once.

I never assumed the project was dead, I just haven't seen anything that would entice me to drop $300 or whatever on a pre-order. It plays old games? I have original hardware and Stella for that. And more games too, since the Ataribox will be limited to Atari properties plus whatever Atari is willing to pay to license. It plays new games? I have a PS4 for that. And for streaming, if that's something the Ataribox does.

The Ataribox needs to do something to set itself apart aside from having the Atari logo on the front.

• Like 2

Examples?

Everywhere really. Look at videogames. First they release a teaser, which sometimes is nothing more than a logo on a screen. then later they release a few screenshots. Then a few months later there's a proper trailer, then later some more screen shots. Then later there's a gameplay trailer or gameplay demo. Then a week before release there's a "launch trailer". Finally 18 months after announcements the game is in stores

Everywhere really. Look at videogames. First they release a teaser, which sometimes is nothing more than a logo on a screen. then later they release a few screenshots. Then a few months later there's a proper trailer, then later some more screen shots. Then later there's a gameplay trailer or gameplay demo. Then a week before release there's a "launch trailer". Finally 18 months after announcements the game is in stores

I was just thinking that about movies these days. Some times we get 2 or 3 trailers for the same movie. And movie posters... US posters, Euro posters, Asian posters, Character posters, etc.

• Like 2

If you want "preorders," you need to tell people what they're buying, why it's worth buying other than having a fuji logo, and what the commerce/game distribution engine is going to be. It's that simple, and everything else may as well be an empty tray that used to hold tacos.

• Like 5

So, like Ubisoft--who consistently put out high-detail trailers and the released games have dumbed-down graphics that angered buyers? How about Star Wars Battlefront 2 where buyers found out later they'd have to buy DLC to play the game properly? No Man's Sky? Ohmigosh, that's a Pandora's Box of dripping hype ooze.

Nobody would care about their choice of marketing if they weren't crowdfunding--especially if buyers had a way to get a refund if it didn't live up to the hype.

Nobody would care about their choice of marketing if they weren't crowdfunding--especially if buyers had a way to get a refund if it didn't live up to the hype.

Don't like crowdfunding? Easy, don't fund it!

But what hype? Everyone on this site seems convinced it's a non-existing box that does nothing and is a scam. How can it fail to live up to that level of hype?

• Like 3

I think the use of the phrase "crowd funded" is a misnomer in that it makes the assumption that the burden of funding is entirely on "the crowd".

Possible misnomers aside, the reality is that they are using crowdfunding to seek capital. By definition, that means they're engaged in crowdfunding, and that is typically a means of launching a product or service when finding other methods of funding have been exhausted.

Having said that, I do see what you're getting at regarding the assumption of the burden of funding being placed on the crowd. However, this does raise a question: if the burden of funding has been satisfied elsewhere, then why are they turning to crowdfunding at all?

• Like 4

Possible misnomers aside, the reality is that they are using crowdfunding to seek capital. By definition, that means they're engaged in crowdfunding, and that is typically a means of launching a product or service when finding other methods of funding have been exhausted.

Having said that, I do see what you're getting at regarding the assumption of the burden of funding being placed on the crowd. However, this does raise a question: if the burden of funding has been satisfied elsewhere, then why are they turning to crowdfunding at all?

Some projects use crowdfunding to gauge interest. If it can reach certain milestones on crowdfunding sites, then other investors will start to open up their pocketbooks

• Like 1

Some projects use crowdfunding to gauge interest. If it can reach certain milestones on crowdfunding sites, then other investors will start to open up their pocketbooks

Sure, and I understand that. However, if a crowdfunding campaign can attract outside investor interest sufficient to fully-fund a project, the decent thing to do would be to end the crowdfunding campaign, refund crowdfunders (perhaps offering them a small thank-you gift of some sort), redirect everyone to wherever milestone announcements will be made, and go stand on your own two feet as a company.

Having said that, that is only my opinion. How a company may conduct itself may not match that, and I'd rather not open that can of worms as it's a pile of speculation I really don't want to get into.

My original question still stands.

• Like 1

Crowdfunding is fine with a healthy dose of caveat emptor. But if you want to throw money wildly at things nobody's stopping you. I've done it myself, and that 21st-birthday stripper still didn't go home with me.

Don't like crowdfunding? Easy, don't fund it!

But what hype? Everyone on this site seems convinced it's a non-existing box that does nothing and is a scam. How can it fail to live up to that level of hype?

• Like 3

Why do you think they don't know what it will be? Just because they haven't released the info yet doesn't mean they don't know.

I understand that the lack of information at this point is tough to swallow and it is easy to assume nothing is going on when you can't see anything going on. For those of you that might want to "crowd-fund" I'd ask that you stick it out a few more days.

Why? Because all I've seen so far from the Ataribox camp are renders and a whole lot of bullshit.

Straightforward question @The Historian: does Ataribox have any kind of working prototype? (If yes, why are they not using Kickstarter?)

I was very eager to back the Retro VGS (when many on this forum and others were not), until I realized Mike Kennedy had literally nothing but was trying to avoid saying so. I was eager to support the Ataribox until I realized Feargal Mac and crew also have nothing. If they had literally anything, we would have seen something by now. Yet here we are only 3 days away from being asked for $300 or more, and we have absolutely no information about this project. We've been down the road before and it's just all too familiar. You'll have to excuse me if I don't trust Feargal "Sorry For the Atari Gameband Silence, Update Soon We Promise!!" Mac with $300.

• Like 8

Glad to see a date being made public. Perhaps things will start moving soon.

Personally I will not pre-order this thing as I have lost much faith in preorders and crowdfunding in general due to so many pre ordered games being poo and so many crowdfunded projects failing to deliver. It's nothing special against Ataribox really. I don't want to pay for something I haven't seen or tried yet, or something that doesn't exist because I don't know what it will be. Trust me, I have tried and mostly I have been burned.

I wouldnt buy a car before a test drive.

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 4

does Ataribox have any kind of working prototype?

I honestly don't know. The controller seems to be real and functional, but I cannot speak to the AtariBox.

(If yes, why are they not using Kickstarter?)

There are a lot of reasons to use one platform over another, an existing prototype may not have been a factor in that decision.

Theyre asking us to buy a car before we even know its a car!

No, they are telling you the indiegogo starts on the 14th.

• Like 1

Not exactly the same thing. When EA or Square or whoever releases screenshots and trailers, you know that it's coming from a reputable source and a game will eventually be delivered (and if it's not, you get your pre-order money back). In this case everything so far has been a combination of incompetence and red flags (no details, nothing but mockups, etc). And in a few days they are going to be asking for real money on a platform known for people taking the money and running. How this instills confidence in anyone is beyond me