IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

In one corner, we have someone saying it's all a mystery and none of your guesses are remotely correct about the colossal cock up.

In another corner, we have people saying Atari's incompetence caused the failure.

In another corner we have people saying the thing failed from lack of support.

In another corner we have people saying wait and see.

I'd like to believe the parties involved were genuinely focused on making a product to sell. I'd like to believe it's ongoing failures are related to incompetence. My instinct is telling me this has been a colossal scam from the beginning with many seeking to cash in on the fools who will pay up front just because of the brand name and for nostalgia sake. Ms. Mac's "how much would you pay for StormFly, well think about it" line will live in infamy. I genuinely believe the truth is a mixture of all the above. There were at least three parties involved, so anyone can claim a different position for any one of them.

At the end of the day, the facts indicate these clowns mucked with a legitimate retro inspired kick starter from a true small shop operation just so they could s#!t the bed themselves. I won't forget that.

depositphotos_38418033-stock-illustratio

• Like 8

Stories often have odd twists and turns.

For example if I said, "I didn’t expect a package to be delivered at 6 am on Monday".

Do I mean I didn’t expect it at 6 am? Or that I didn’t expect it on Monday? Was it sent to early or to late? Maybe I didn't expect the package at all.

It's clear that things didn’t go as planned. How it got to be that way will have to remain a mystery for now. The press releases have some good clues though.

I thought you said they were playing the actual console, with the amazing new one button joystick?

• Like 1

Haha, not sure why I didn't notice it before, maybe it's the text bringing out the face. But sorry, The Historian, but the look on your face does remind me of the bit for Monty Python's Flying Circus with the 'wink wink nudge nudge.' character. "Is your wife... a goer? Oh I bet she does!"

attachicon.gifshat.jpg

I made this to sum up my feelings

Ha, isn't that the scene where he's holding Tribbles?

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

For those of you who might say this wasn't an intentional scam, but the result of colossal mismanagement, I ask this: is the end any different? When you have a track record for similar projects that is just terrible, any PM worth anything would have taken it all into account. Instead, this looks for all the word like they deliberately used the RVGS as a script

Yes, maybe they had good intentions... but when you put Jeffrey Dahmer in charge of the buffet, it doesn't matter if he planned on making tacos or roast beef.

• Like 5

For those of you who might say this wasn't an intentional scam, but the result of colossal mismanagement, I ask this: is the end any different? When you have a track record for similar projects that is just terrible, any PM worth anything would have taken it all into account. Instead, this looks for all the word like they deliberately used the RVGS as a script

Yes, maybe they had good intentions... but when you put Jeffrey Dahmer in charge of the buffet, it doesn't matter if he planned on making tacos or roast beef.

I guess the main difference being that AtariBox never got to the point where they were asking for money (yet). Unless they got some weird start up cash from IndieGoGo.

Ha, I've already referenced Demolition Man in this thread, but it is now required to quote Snipes' character, "Jeffery Dahmer? I love this guy!"

I guess the main difference being that AtariBox never got to the point where they were asking for money (yet). Unless they got some weird start up cash from IndieGoGo.

Ha, I've already referenced Demolition Man in this thread, but it is now required to quote Snipes' character, "Jeffery Dahmer? I love this guy!"

I actually give Ataribox credit for not asking for money... but that leeway only goes so far when they were minutes away from launching their crowdfunding campaign. I definitely feel this went way farther than it should have, with so little to actually show.

There is, however, something to be said for the amount of attention they grabbed in their initial PR push, as well as the muscling of other projects out of the spotlight. They did waste a lot of people's time and hurt some legit projects. That might not be measurable in dollars, but I still think it's wrong.

• Like 5