IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Nathan: River West Brands is now known as Dormitus Brands. http://dormitus.com/

Ah... forgot that. I keep confusing them with something else.

Still, they should pay their bills since they actually still own River West Brands. Even if they aren't using the name anymore. Makes it look bad when a company doesn't seem to be doing anything for months at a time. :ponder:

Sometimes it makes sense to change your name to something different, right?

If Atari SA were simply called Infogrames 2018 or something, we wouldn't be perpetuating this conversation.

"Infogramesbox".

Nah.

Probably wouldn't look good on a Speaker Hat™ either.

Actually it's been pretty tame. No one decided to try and doc me or send some over to beat the crap out of me, both have been tried in the past.

Seriously? People have come at you with physical violence over stuff like this? That is pathetic. We can all discuss and even totally disagree but that in no way means turn it up to eleven and cause harm to each other over a non-existant video game machine. For instance, I think you are blinded by your friend Fergal's Atari efforts and shill like crazy BUT there is no way in hell it would ever be more than you and I having different stances on things. I'd call you a nut or post a funny picture but people actually coming to your home to beat you up? Crazy. Believe it or not, I'd actually defend you in such a situation. :thumbsup:

• Like 10

Seriously? People have come at you with physical violence over stuff like this? That is pathetic. We can all discuss and even totally disagree but that in no way means turn it up to eleven and cause harm to each other over a non-existant video game machine. For instance, I think you are blinded by your friend Fergal's Atari efforts and shill like crazy BUT there is no way in hell it would ever be more than you and I having different stances on things. I'd call you a nut or post a funny picture but people actually coming to your home to beat you up? Crazy. Believe it or not, I'd actually defend you in such a situation. :thumbsup:

I think it's sarcasm. It could be real as there are a lot of sickos in the world.

Edited by thetick1

I think it's sarcasm. I could be real as their are are a lot of sickos in the world.

Oh it's real. I pretty much scrubbed my address online at the time but there was someone with the same name, in the same town and they published his address online. It took me 2 weeks to get the the hosting company to pull the post. At first they refused to remove it calling it "factual" information. Had to prove it was someone else's address, not mine.

But a gaming community manager, unfortunately, has to deal with this. It's worse for female CMs.

• Like 1

Why do you think anyone can be a gaming community manager? I don't get the concept. Is it just constantly saying A is better, even though the gaming community thinks B is far better? :?

And who the hell pays you for such a thing? What are the qualifications for that job? Where do you get one, not that I need it?

I am genuinely interested, nothing else. ;-)

• Like 4

https://www.atari.com/pages/atari-game-partners

Atari Game Partners is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Atari.

Our mission is to develop and publish games from Atari's iconic and prolific library, containing 200+ gaming franchises, for handheld platforms and others.

Given the breadth of the Atari portfolio, we realized we had to team up with investors to take full advantage of the depth, the diversity and the opportunities that are presented with such a catalog. We could not do it on our own and had to team up with financial partners.

Atari Game Partners is eager to continue that success by bringing one of gaming's most-beloved franchises to one of its biggest emerging platforms.

In the months and years to come, our mission is to build success upon success. We seek to find a way for gamers around the world to get access to Atari's incredible lineup of gaming franchises.

————-

Makes sense to me. People investing in the game allows it to be produced/released quicker. Which means they can do the 2nd, 3rd, 4th ones sooner...

Also allows existing funds to go towards other projects as well as limits potential losses.

All good business choices.

Give it a chance. Might work. Might not.

If you aren’t investing it won’t affect you either way so chillax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See? There is the automatic negative, short-sighted, lack of possibility, lack of business knowledge response I expected.....

That took playing what cards they have, and yea have been making money off the name for now.

But every project whether you like it or not is making the money which is allowing new growth and projects, expansion and yes hopefully, eventually, ability to create and establish new ideas and ip.

This last year has shown those projects expansion, improvement in revenue, decrease in debt, and the financial #’s show that. The next report should continue the trend....

Nathan tried to make some good points, but when people try to make a good point that does not agree with yours, "negative", "lack of business knowledge", pointless, etc is pretty much all you give in response. If you think other people are being negative, countering with negative comments without backing them up won't buy you much.

I think people would like to know how how the people using the Atari brand name now are ever going to come up with the cash flow needed to engineer and make something like the console that was described, albeit not in great deal, that can do something more than play old games and other stuff that any 10 year old could make by ordering parts from Amazon.... and have a reason to charge anything more than $80, let alone $300. Do you have sales figures from the speakers hats that shows they are turning a profit out of them? (whether one likes them or not is another discussion). How about the few other products? What capital are they raising?

The reason I am asking... go look around these forums and see some of the bigger projects for home-brews and other hardware. Anything from the SGM for the Colecovision, XM module for the 7800, various multicasts, etc. Now, granted these projects are often done by one person or a few, but they take a great amount of expense and time. Let's scale this up to a console that is going to more of a mass market. It takes a lot of expense and time if anything of quality is intended. Microsoft loses money at making consoles, but they already have a lot of revenue streams from elsewhere. Sony has lost a lot of money in the past, but they were already making a lot money elsewhere. Nintendo can survive some of their failures because they have made a ton in the past.

See...you don't need a lot of business knowledge to know that making hardware is expensive, and solid revenue streams already have to be in place. That is just common sense.

So in this case, we have a pretty much dead brand name that is being used to sell some products. Okay... so how much capital are they raising? Is the stock really going up that much to raise money for more expensive ventures? I suspect you are just going to call me out as negative, short sighted, etc on me just by asking. Feel free because my day will end today and start just the same tomorrow, regardless.

I may be one of the only ones here who see that (I think 2 other guys in the last few pages)- but worldwide there are thousands of others who see the details. Proof is in the #’s.

:ponder:

Sorry... but that line and the response nearly had be spray soda on my monitor! I can't explain why... Albert would probably ban me for awhile if I tried.

• Like 5

I am genuinely interested, nothing else. ;-)

Ok, so just speaking of gaming. A CM does far more than forum moderation, and in some cases not even that. They might gather bug reports from the forums, craft the patch notes, post announcements, organize in-game and/or in-person events, gather player feedback, handle out-reach to top streamers, organize contests, handle any html and image work needed. That's just part the external work, they would typically sit in on most dev, planning and marketing meetings.

When the shit hits the fan, the CM is the face of the company handling damage control, gathering information from the those effected and acting as a buffer for the internal team (taking the abuse).

It's a mix of Web Dev, Marketing, Social Psychology, crisis management, project management, content creation and whatever else gets thrown at them.

Salaries are getting better, but the average is 40k to 60k. Non-gamimg can make more and highly experienced or specialized CMs can make as much as 6 figures.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 3

The troll comes out at number four on the types of trolls list:

post-18158-0-69554800-1517099915_thumb.jpg

I wonder what a troll taco tastes like? Of course I've heard trolls are high in cholesterol so I can't bother. But I'm pretty sure our Taco Sheriff has been thumbing through recipes with what hot sauce to use.

• Like 3

Ok, so just speaking of gaming. A CM does far more than forum moderation, and in some cases not even that. They might gather bug reports from the forums, craft the patch notes, post announcements, organize in-game and/or in-person events, gather player feedback, handle out-reach to top streamers, organize contests, handle any html and image work needed. That's just part the external work, they would typically sit in on most dev, planning and marketing meetings.

When the shit hits the fan, the CM is the face of the company handling damage control, gathering information from the those effected and acting as a buffer for the internal team (taking the abuse).

It's a mix of Web Dev, Marketing, Social Psychology, crisis management, project management, content creation and whatever else gets thrown at them.

Salaries are getting better, but the average is 40k to 60k. Non-gamimg can make more and highly experienced or specialized CMs can make as much as 6 figures.

My employer pays an intern to do the CM work. She gets about 25K a year and is a big time talker/typer. Seriously another girl in the office was a bit creeped out when she noticed the intern can sit on the pot, yap on her phone while posting on the forums all at the same time. This was followed by someone else commenting yea the new generation is pretty stupid and will work for peanuts but they sure can multitask a bunch of simple tasks.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 2

I don't care if Atari's worthless stock is trending up or down, or what kind of spin the shills want to put on the company's current ridiculous floundering. Their simple, inescapable problem is that they're simply a licensed brand name that isn't producing anything themselves.

There is admittedly still a shit-ton of brand equity to be milked, but it'll eventually run low. If/when the retro gaming bubble bursts, that's it. They're making money on the work that actual, visionary, creative people did 40 years ago, with nothing new to replenish the tank. Once the hipsters lose interest, they'll become another Polaroid, or Bell & Howell, or Zenith. People will recognize the name, but no one will care.

Comics of 38-year-old game properties are great and all, but when you aren't an actual company producing actual new product your time is eventually going to be up.

• Like 5

My employer pays an intern to do the CM work. She gets about 25K a year and is a big time talker/typer. Seriously another girl in the office was a bit creeped out when she noticed the intern can sit on the pot, yap on her phone while posting on the forums all at the same time. This was followed by someone else commenting yea the new generation is pretty stupid and will work for peanuts but they sure can multitask a bunch of simple tasks.

And that happens. Also social media managers get tossed in with CMs, but it's a different skill set though there is some overlap. A good CM should be able to pull reports and show the community is growing, engaged, what the most active/popular topic/content is, what search terms are leading people to the community, and how the site is doing in SEO. Ideally they should also be able to give an ROI on the community. For a support community that could be show in case deflection, but for other it could be lead generation or customer retention.

I, personally, don't think an intern would be up to that... But there are always exceptions. And with interns coming and going there is no way to put a long term strategy in place.

Not sure where you live, but an intern making 50k sounds ridiculous.

And that happens. Also social media managers get tossed in with CMs, but it's a different skill set though there is some overlap. A good CM should be able to pull reports and show the community is growing, engaged, what the most active/popular topic/content is, what search terms are leading people to the community, and how the site is doing in SEO. Ideally they should also be able to give an ROI on the community. For a support community that could be show in case deflection, but for other it could be lead generation or customer retention.

I, personally, don't think an intern would be up to that... But there are always exceptions. And with interns coming and going there is no way to put a long term strategy in place.

Not sure where you live, but an intern making 50k sounds ridiculous.

yea sorry I did my math wrong.. it's 25K. She more a social media manager. Her boss I guess is the real CM as he does the marketing strategy.

Oh it's real. I pretty much scrubbed my address online at the time but there was someone with the same name, in the same town and they published his address online. It took me 2 weeks to get the the hosting company to pull the post. At first they refused to remove it calling it "factual" information. Had to prove it was someone else's address, not mine.

But a gaming community manager, unfortunately, has to deal with this. It's worse for female CMs.

Those people that threaten for real are lame. It is gamez man!

I am a community manager too most days.

The troll comes out at number four on the types of trolls list:

never_give_up_troll.jpg

I wonder what a troll taco tastes like? Of course I've heard trolls are high in cholesterol so I can't bother. But I'm pretty sure our Taco Sheriff has been thumbing through recipes with what hot sauce to use.

I tried to be a master troll with the speakerhat insults but I just can't play the part well enough.. :(

problem is that they're simply a licensed brand name that isn't producing anything themselves.

Comics of 38-year-old game properties are great and all, but when you aren't an actual company producing actual new product your time is eventually going to be up.

I agree completely. I just think (hope) they are planning on something new once they have the money and platform for it. Call me naive. I just think it would be illogical to do otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Giving you guys examples is pointless. You would just argue counterpoint as it is evident the negativity and mob mentality on here.

Has modern Atari in a video game realm done anything noteworthy in decades? No.

Does that mean that now they are fully back on their feet and building the business, that moving forward that they won't? No.

I get that you guys put Atari in a box that they should only be 'a video game company'. You don't like Atari doing other products. You don't think branching out is the right thing or can be good for the brand or business.

Lets put this on the table then- https://io9.gizmodo.com/ataris-new-centipede-comic-is-more-brilliant-and-heartf-1797743018

Ok- big deal, a comic book. But look at what Marvel has become- from bankruptcy in the 90's.

Atari isn't producing it, D.E is. So I'm not sure that's a great example of them creating something since dynamite entertainment bears the weight of everything. I think its neat but it really is playing on guys in this forum and myself.

I know my LCS maybe sold one copy of it and I'm not sure that person went to the end of it. That series is finished with issue #5. You mention them not being a videogame company but that and swordquest were trying to play off of it.

I tried the swordquest comic and it was alright but it didn't set the world on fire. It was kind of basic and I think I only got the first two issues. If I see the rest of it or Centipede in the discount bins I will pick them up.

One of the 90's comic problem was over production and the relentless onslaught on #1s. Reason marvel is doing better is because them and the other companies learned to limit their production and there is preorders. Plus Marvel and DC still could lean on the likes of Capt. America, Batman, etc.

If we are comparing then Atari needs to create something new with their properties. They need to put their strongest guns/people on the most popular IPs and build up that way. The thing that sucks is all they are doing is rehashing the old stuff or letting others make something for them.

I would like to see some other things they are doing besides a comic. I already knew about those two series.

yea sorry I did my math wrong.. it's 25K. She more a social media manager. Her boss I guess is the real CM as he does the marketing strategy.

Community is not marketing and you should not market to a community. They hate it, and it will kill it. If Albert were too suddenly start trying make a sale pitch to this community like a marketing team would, there would be a revolt. Hell, I've seen communities ie because they decided to put ads up to help pay for bandwidth.

Long term strategy would be around building connections between people, supporting your champions and fulfilling the purpose of the community, doing things to encourage growth and bring in new users. For better or worse AtariBox has brought new eyes to this forum. Some will adapt and become good contributers, others will leave never to return.

Community cannot for long feed on itself; it can only flourish with the coming of others from beyond, their unknown and undiscovered brothers. – Howard Thurman

Without new members communities cannot survive.

Edited by The Historian

Seriously? Care to enlighten us what aspects of Atari SA are not to your liking ?

With me trust is earned. Things that break trust: Lawsuits over decades old IP for what is clearly a derivative work. ICO for no other reason or purpose than it's the latest thing that causes a stock bump for half a week. There's more... But you get the idea

Everyone seems to think that Atari having a nice big logo in the Blade Runner movie was some kind of big win for Atari SA. There is a reason they don't mention it anywhere in their reports.

Personally Atari SA just feels shady... I'm not saying that those who use the license are, most seem up and up. The speaker hat maybe silly, but the quality seems to be there and it grabs a sweet spot with the vanity crowd. 5he mini arcade games look good too.

• Like 3

Actually it's been pretty tame. No one decided to try and doc me or send some over to beat the crap out of me, both have been tried in the past.

Been skimming about those threats. Sites like EA and Activision have had players so angry they send death threats to CMs because of patches that got released or some other software change. One was about an unpopular task to unlock a hidden character by playing that part in a game for forty hours. Some gamers are just so hooked they take it very seriously.