IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Atari in Blade Runner was mostly an in-joke. Pan Am was there too. That's property of a holding company, too, https://panambrands.com/legacy-- which I'm pretty sure doesn't own any airplanes.

Someone got paid, but let's not kid ourselves about it being the time of the Atari renaissance.

There is a railroad with the name.

http://www.panamrailways.com/

You can even get a model of a boxcar.

post-18158-0-72316000-1517192663_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

They link to Pan Am brands, too. There's no "legacy" or history there other than people passing the old brand name around.

"Pan Am entered the rail business in 1981 when the company, then known as Guilford Transportation Industries, purchased the Maine Central Railroad (MEC). In 1983, GTI purchased the bankrupt Boston & Maine (B&M). In 1998 GTI purchased Pan Am Airways from bankruptcy and revived the airline. In 2006 the railroad was rebranded as Pan Am as well. Today the railroad is more vibrant than ever, succeeding in a region where many rail operators have failed, by making sound investments and a focus on the long term."

• Like 1

Yup, just another company reusing a name.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_World_Airways

Owned by the parent of Japanese airline All Nippon Airways as of October 2014, Pan Am International Flight Academy is the only surviving division of Pan American World Airways.

Reuse of name

Aside from the aforementioned flight academy, the Pan Am brand has been resurrected six times after 1991, but the reincarnations were related to the original Pan Am in name only.

• Like 1

OMG there's a Speaker Hat from Pan Am Brands, too!

https://panambrands.com/shop/pan-am-accessories/paul-frank-mini-explorer.html

HA ha, monkeys always look

How is it that Pan Am charges $10 more and is now out of stock on the same speaker hat that Atari can't seem to sell even at a discount? Pan Am is really doing great things in the retro video game world. I tip my (speaker) hat to their business prowess.

• Like 4

I haven't seen the New Blade Runner yet, but maybe it was also just kind of a futuristic vision that is also somehow retro...Like the writer's dream of what would be cool, including having brands that have lasted for very long periods of time, Or maybe they specifically were picking the brands as part of the artistic style and vision...So that in that Future you are reminded of the past...No idea if that's the goal, but I like the idea...You see 2049 and are reminded of the 70's or 80's.

PS I like the Pan Am hat better than Atari's...Especially the black and purple one!

• Like 1

I haven't seen the New Blade Runner yet, but maybe it was also just kind of a futuristic vision that is also somehow retro...Like the writer's dream of what would be cool, including having brands that have lasted for very long periods of time, Or maybe they specifically were picking the brands as part of the artistic style and vision...So that in that Future you are reminded of the past...No idea if that's the goal, but I like the idea...You see 2049 and are reminded of the 70's or 80's.

PS I like the Pan Am hat better than Atari's...Especially the black and purple one!

That's exactly it. Blade Runner, and Western Cyberpunk as a whole, pulls heavily from the look and feel of around 1975 - 1985, depending on who's behind it. Sort of the future, through the lens of a time period in the past-similar to what steampunk does with the late 19th century, or something like Fallout does with the 1950's.

Atari and PanAm are in there in part for the aesthetic, but in part as a reference to the infamous 'blade runner curse', where some folks say that the brands that appeared in the first Blade Runner all collapsed or nearly collapsed after the films debut. Which sounds mysterious at first, but alas we can all put our tinfoil away for another day. If you dig a bit, you'll realize that Ridley Scott intentionally chose vulnerable/controversial brands in precarious places. It gets a lot less mysterious really quick.

Also, I highly recommend Blade Runner 2049. I loved it and it was way better than it had any right being.

tl;dr: Atari showed up in Blade Runner because it looked cool. Dennis Villeneuve (sp?) has said as much before.

• Like 1

Blade Runner 2049 is a fictional world extrapolated from the original's version of 2019, not from the real 2018, so these brands are alive and well.

Book from 1968 writing about 1992 (later changed to 2021)

made into a 1982 movie about 2019

with a 2017 sequel set in 2049

all this can be yours for the low low price of 19.99

fun facts:

Atari SA's market cap is $118.43M

Blade Runner's budget was $28M, box office $33.8M

Blade Runner 2048's budget was between $150 and $185M, box office $259.2M

the Atari SpeakerHat® sale is over, all hats are once again $129.99, including the new "Pong Anniversary Limited Edition Atari Speakerhat," and if you buy one, you're still a fscking moron.

post-2410-0-75558100-1517256448_thumb.png

• Like 5

Honestly, its been a month and a half since the indiegogo launch was canceled with seemingly no plans to reinstitute it in sight. I was softer on the box than I think a lot were, and at the very least I wanted the damn thing to come out, but I think we're fast approaching the point where we can say it's dead.

• Like 1

That is the stupidest thing I've heard all week.

So true. This is truly vapid stuff. He could literally be talking about anything.

“Our brand and our portfolio of games are known to many people around the world so it is a natural fit to bring them to television,” said Frédéric Chesnais, CEO of Atari. “We are proud to team-up with Scott and have him join our brand because his expertise will help create a truly remarkable television show for everyone to enjoy.”

Could be ...

Soap

We make some of the best known brands in the world, and those brands are used by 2.5 billion people every day

Use this page to browse the list of all Unilever's brands, see what brands are available in your country and link to more information about any of our brands on a local Unilever website.

Cereal

Creating Brands. Building Relationships. What began with a corn flake has since defined an industry. And today we continuously strive to provide a delicious choice of brands that people know, trust and enjoy around the world.

a real electronics company

PEOPLE: With over 230,000 employees around the world, we are as much a local company as we are a global one. Our ties to the community ... jump in brand value. Our brand promise is creating products and services that expand experience and open possibilities – possibilities for everyone, everywhere.

and we could go on, of course. P-dubs, thanks for continuing to post stupid $hit for us to mock.

• Like 2