IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I love (almost) everything about these things and would normally be the exact target audience, but I really don't like the size. Perhaps if this was double the size, I could expect to get more enjoyment/use out of it (and yes, I'd pay 2 - 2.5x the asking price). As it is, it seems like it would be mostly for display purposes (and in the case of this Tempest one, I don't know how I feel about the lack of a vector display, which is of course understandable).

I paid $175 for my Centipede a few years ago. While I understand that not everyone has the space to collect full size machines, unlike the Walmart mini arcades (which are great for shelf display, btw) these seem too big and too expensive for shelf collecting, yet not big enough for serious gameplay. They occupy an expensive, awkward middle ground.

27654791_1943685805645743_84803355609042

• Like 2

Yea.... but there are plenty of people in this world who don't shop at walmart- and the price point to them is not expensive. (again- a night out for dinner.)

The toys in the picture...well- are toys.

The replicades are replicas - right down to the shape, graphics, controls, wood cabinets...

The price is quite reasonable. Hell- go back and look at MSRP on accessories, games, etc from 30-40 years ago... anyone bitching about prices these days has no perspective.

The price is quite reasonable. Hell- go back and look at MSRP on accessories, games, etc from 30-40 years ago... anyone bitching about prices these days has no perspective.

Thanks, I was there.

And my "perspective" is that my Centipede cost me 15 bucks more than this replica with a pea-sized trackball. Anyone looking for a shelf novelty is blowing 20 bucks on a whim, and anyone looking to play is picking up a real cabinet or hitting up MAME.

27067420_10210997963688959_6975321353512

27067907_10210997963368951_6782564824568

• Like 5

The difference is that 35 years ago, those games represented state of the art. The items we're discussing today are mostly novelty items.

Last time (*) I was having an "evening on the town", I spent nearly $40 on food and drinks and I thought that was a lot. Apparently that is miniscule in comparison to those who regularly spend $160+ on a night.

(*) December 30, 2017 which also was the night I saw the new Jumanji movie while having lots of video game references, didn't really have any Atari references as far as I could tell unless the fake woodgrain on the mystery console was an untold product placement from Atari.

• Like 1

And my "perspective" is that my Centipede cost me 15 bucks more than this replica with a pea-sized trackball.

And are you seriously trying to compare something decades old, well used, off craigslist or ebay to a new retail product? Great that you got it, and have a nice collection.

Are there hundreds of those readily available at the same price for everyone? No? Oh.

Does everyone have a basement to stockpile a collection of games (the 40 year old virgin comes to mind)... No.

Evidence shows there are people interested in quality miniature versions that don't take of huge space or offend the wife.

You guys are amazingly narrow minded- if it is expensive to you, or not something you would be interested in- it must suck or be stupid eh?

And my "perspective" is that my Centipede cost me 15 bucks more than this replica with a pea-sized trackball.

And are you seriously trying to compare something decades old, well used, off craigslist or ebay to a new retail product? Great that you got it, and have a nice collection.

Are there hundreds of those readily available at the same price for everyone? No? Oh.

Does everyone have a basement to stockpile a collection of games (the 40 year old virgin comes to mind)... No.

Evidence shows there are people interested in quality miniature versions that don't take of huge space or offend the wife.

You guys are amazingly narrow minded- if it is expensive to you, or not something you would be interested in- it must suck or be stupid eh?

Why are you here?

• Like 8

The difference is that 35 years ago, those games represented state of the art. The items we're discussing today are mostly novelty items.

Last time (*) I was having an "evening on the town", I spent nearly $40 on food and drinks and I thought that was a lot. Apparently that is miniscule in comparison to those who regularly spend $160+ on a night.

There are countless people that spend tons of money on diecast car replicas that just sit on a shelf and collect dust.. at least these can be played.

And yea- $40 on a night out is nothing... what's the point again?

Oh yea- a faithful quality replica right down to the controls, real wood, graphics... nobody would ever want that... hmmm.

Meanwhile, Atari looses 5% of its value today. For those of you less savvy investors and business professionals, that's 3 cents. That is all.

You must not pay any attention to the markets in general eh? Does your mother not let you watch the big boy channels?

Atari investors are doing juust fine- and this year is going to be great.

I'm inclined to place these mini-arcades and replicades firmly into the novelty & shelf-display category. They have a cute factor about them. They're like the model airplane you have in your room which just happens to fly for real.

Anyone wanting to play the games, explore the nuances, try for a hi-score ..is gonna seek out MAME or perhaps full-size cabs if they're not too inconvenient.

• Like 2

I paid $175 for my Centipede a few years ago. While I understand that not everyone has the space to collect full size machines, unlike the Walmart mini arcades (which are great for shelf display, btw) these seem too big and too expensive for shelf collecting, yet not big enough for serious gameplay. They occupy an expensive, awkward middle ground.

27654791_1943685805645743_84803355609042

I like the coffee mug.

• Like 3

I actually have a lot of coffee mugs from various times and interests of my life. As well as baseball hats.

Why not start a thread about mugs in the General forum and post some pics, instead of talking down to people in this comical thread? Could end up with a bunch of people posting their mugs, instead of laughing at you. ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot...

IMG_3121.jpg

• Like 8

And if it's something that doesn't fit your narrow definition of 'acceptable', everyone else must be wrong.

What makes me laugh as regards your above statement, though, is that it pretty clearly shows how little understanding you have of the market for classic arcade games. Hint: tens of thousands of Centipede machines were made, and a decent enough percentage of them survive to this day to the point where they're considered to be fairly common. The laws of supply and demand mean that they're one of the more financially-accessible arcade games out there.

Yeah, if you buy a restored one from a retailer, it'll cost more. No surprise there.

You can stop embarrassing yourself at any time by ceasing to pretend to speak with authority on subjects of which you have a tenuous-at-best grasp of.

• Like 9