IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

You're not a shill, though. At least not an obvious one.

Ah, see that's where you're wrong! I studied at shill academy for six years. I got a degree in shilling. My major was in discreet shillology. Minor in english lit.

Nah, real talk though. Thank you for saying that. Yeah I'm probably a little more optimistic than some folks around here but I'm not blind to the warning signs that the project isn't up to snuff. And the second they ask for money without any more information, I'm right there with the rest of you.

• Like 4

Ah, see that's where you're wrong! I studied at shill academy for six years. I got a degree in shilling. My major was in discreet shillology. Minor in english lit.

oh were you in I Eta Pi?

:)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 4

A few recent Atari-branded things had licensed games from other companies on them. The Atari Flashback Portable features Namco's Pac-Man, Galaxian, and Dig Dug, so Pole Position shouldn't be far behind. They've also featured Taito's Space Invaders and Jungle Hunt on the Atari Flashback Gold. The Activision Edition contained a mess of Atari games along with a whole lot of Activision games such as Pitfall, River Raid, and HERO. They've also had access to Mattel games like Frogs and Flies and Dark Cavern (seriously? That's someone's fave?).

I'm pretty sure AtGames licensed those. Not Atari. Bill might have some more insight into that though.

Of course it's entirely possible Atari might license some of those games for the Ataribox... but why? The Flashbacks already exist at a fraction of the cost. If they went after the arcade originals, that would make more sense. But SpeakerHats.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure AtGames licensed those. Not Atari. Bill might have some more insight into that though.

Of course it's entirely possible Atari might license some of those games for the Ataribox... but why? The Flashbacks already exist at a fraction of the cost. If they went after the arcade originals, that would make more sense. But SpeakerHats.

The M-Network games showed up on the Atari Flashbacks the same year the Intellivision Flashback was released, so I always figured it was part of the deal AtGames made with Intellivision Productions. (I don't have any actual knowledge regarding this, but it makes sense.)

Someone posted an Ataribox (it was still the Ataribox then) video on Facebook that was all "Atari! You know them for great games like..." and then listed a bunch of games that weren't Atari games. Most of this social media feedback is coming from people who haven't thought about Atari in 35 years, so at best they have vague memories of what games they played on what system. And they were 7 at the time and didn't know anything about IPs and licensing. If they played it on an Atari, it was an Atari game. It's like 1980 all over again, when "Atari" was your dad's catch-all name for anything video game, now it's the catch-all for any old video game. I'm waiting for someone to mention the the Atari Colecovision.

It's going to happen.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 7

So...we now have two identically named consoles...Atari Video Computer System (Atari VCS, part number CX2600) and Atari VCS (part number...?). I thought Microsoft naming their new product the XBox One was not very smart, since the first one was colloquially referred to as the "one" after the 360 got released, but this - literally using the same name - takes the cake. Maybe VCS 2?

• Like 2

I can just see now some seedy guy on the street saying, "Psst! Hey, buddy! You want a brand new Atari VCS?"

Passerby- " A what??"

Seedy Guy- "A VCS. I got 20 of them in the trunk of my car!"

Passerby "Sure."

(opens trunk and points to a bunch of old Atari Vader 2600s)

Passerby- "What do they do?"

Seedy Guy- "You can play the latest games and also have an internet connection. It's wireless and will connect automatically with one of these cartridges labeled Combat. You can also play games with another cartridge labeled, Pac-Man."

Passerby- "I'm sold! Give me two!"

Seedy Guy " Excellent. Heheheh! I can eat gourmet tacos tonight!"

• Like 4

Riddle me this, you 201X Atari lovers / investors / shillers:

What could it mean, if someone sends you $200 in cash, strapped onto an Atari Pac-Man cartridge (Clever notion, I laughed.)?

Person sending, is an actual Atari fan, not a pretend Atari fan. ;)

I love the design, and I even like the new logo. The thing itself is still so utterly pointless though, and that ridiculous press release actually makes me hate it even more.

What a marvel of vacuous corporate-speak.

Way back there at Post #6069.

Vacuous Corporate Speak?

V C S ?

Do I win? Did I find the message in Adventure or the HSWWSH? I feel like I just Unlocked something or got an Easter Egg :-D

• Like 9

Why are they calling it the Atari VCS when there already was an Atari VCS 40 years ago?! You would think they would learn from Intellivision's mistake about the INTV III. Now it's just going to confuse everyone from this point forward. I think I would have more respect if they decided to call it the Atari 10400! :lol:

• Like 1

Why are they calling it the Atari VCS when there already was an Atari VCS 40 years ago?!

I believe that is entirely the purpose, to connect as closely as possible to the history. Previously the Xbox One was mentioned as an example when people would confuse it with the first Xbox, which some previously might've referred to as Xbox 1. There is also the sadly malhandled Commodore brand which Tulip, Yearohnimo and whatever the owners were called tried to breathe new air into by releasing MP3 players called mPET, eVIC etc, more or less a disgrace to those brands they may have had the rights to.

The name Atari VCS may also tie it closely to be an Atari 2600 emulator only, at a price tag several times higher than the Atari Flashbacks. Even if it got new and/or exclusive content to go with emulating the old games, the well recognized product name might turn out to be a hindrance as much as it a door opener if the general public doesn't understand that the 2018 edition of the Atari VCS indeed plays state of the *cough* 2018 games as well, not only 40 year old content.

Based on what was said in the delay announcement, you would most likely be correct.

I kind of figured at the time that they got a lot of heat from people saying that the retro joystick was not adequate to play all games. I figured they must of went oh shit, I think we better develop a standard controller ready for launch and not just try and launch with just the joystick

• Like 1

I believe that is entirely the purpose, to connect as closely as possible to the history. Previously the Xbox One was mentioned as an example when people would confuse it with the first Xbox, which some previously might've referred to as Xbox 1. There is also the sadly malhandled Commodore brand which Tulip, Yearohnimo and whatever the owners were called tried to breathe new air into by releasing MP3 players called mPET, eVIC etc, more or less a disgrace to those brands they may have had the rights to.

The name Atari VCS may also tie it closely to be an Atari 2600 emulator only, at a price tag several times higher than the Atari Flashbacks. Even if it got new and/or exclusive content to go with emulating the old games, the well recognized product name might turn out to be a hindrance as much as it a door opener if the general public doesn't understand that the 2018 edition of the Atari VCS indeed plays state of the *cough* 2018 games as well, not only 40 year old content.

IMHO, it comes down to one thing and one thing only: Atariboxcorp, Inc. has no past accomplishments to build this device's reputation on, so they're riding the coattails of the original. It's sort of an inverse guilt-by-association approach.

The problem with this approach, however, is that greatness isn't something that's achieved through clumsy marketing exercises and inept social media campaigns. The original was a success because (after an initially-lukewarm launch) it was the right thing at the right time, and that's not something that can be designed, engineered, manufactured, or marketed.

• Like 5

Well, tech sites should have write ups of their hands on with the Atari VCS in a couple of days time. Look forward to reading their impressions

Meanwhile, I'll keep playing with my GPD WIN 2 prototype

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 1

They could have at least dubbed it the "Atari VCS 2.0", or "Atari VCS X", or something.

But then, some companies seem to have a problem with naming things. Good luck trying to figure out what generation of Roku you have.

Or the DCS (digital computer system) or ICS (internet). Those names may be dumb but at least they're less confusing.

Besides, most people I know who grew up in the post-Atari world have no idea what the VCS is, its the 2600 or just "the Atari". So calling it the VCS means nothing to the people who may be interested in it and only irks the group of people who know what a VCS is.

Just not a great choice for a name all around. No, I'll go further and say it was a bad choice. Pretty logo though.

Edited by lifemadesimple
  • Like 6