IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

How many of you want to bet the prototype they showed is some existing board they dropped in their plastic case?

Na that sounds like too much work. More like a battery pack , a few resistors and LEDs connected. All that was presented were LED lights. My 7 year old son put together more complicated projects in under ten minutes.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

You have to ask yourself what exactly it was that they were showing in those images last year. Ie those images supposedly of them playing the console connected to a TV. Do you guys remember that last year.
I think there was even a short video of them playing a game on it that The Historian posted if I remember correctly

Edited by vcoleiro1

TechRadar also visited and checked out the Atari VCS in their hotel room. Atari told them they do have a working prototype at their office - hmmm.

https://www.techradar.com/news/first-look-atari-vcs

"“It will be somewhere in between an Nvidia Shield and the Nintendo Switch,” Frederic Chesnai, Atari’s CEO, assures us. “In terms of specs, obviously, not in functionality.”

It’s like this with every specific question you ask. There’s an answer, but it’s vague, given without specifics intentionally so that Atari can pivot should things not fall into place."

Doesn't even make sense, both the Switch and Shield are powered by the Tegra X1

And this geek.com article says one of the only things they can tell you about the Atari VCS , is that it will connect with other Atari HW like the Atari speaker Hat. Hmmmmm
https://www.geek.com/games/atari-reveals-hardware-plans-with-the-atari-vcs-at-gdc-1734655/

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 6

You have to ask yourself what exactly it was that they were showing in those images last year. Ie those images supposedly of them playing the console connected to a TV. Do you guys remember that last year.

I think there was even a short video of them playing a game on it that The Historian posted if I remember correctly

Was this the one you were thinking of? No Ataribox in sight, though; just the TV, Centipede, and a can of soup.

Emphasis, mine:

Let's not mention that it would be trivial to have VCS Centipede playing in the background while waggling a joystick in the foreground for the purposes of a blurry, closely cropped 12-second video. I could do the same thing with a can of soup. At least we know there's a cheesy, always-on red LED backlight in the new controller. The range of movement seems similar to the old 2600 sticks. Personally, I think that's a missed opportunity to make it better, but I guess the counterpoint is you shouldn't mess with nostalgia.

giphy.gif

Show us the rest of it. This teasing is getting really old.

And who is the mystery player?

attachicon.gifis it the Game Doctor, Quartermann, Sushi-X, or Mike Kennedy?.png

And this geek.com article says one of the only things they can tell you about the Atari VCS , is that it will connect with other Atari HW like the Atari speaker Hat. Hmmmmm

https://www.geek.com/games/atari-reveals-hardware-plans-with-the-atari-vcs-at-gdc-1734655/

Well yeah... and every other Bluetooth peripheral on the planet.

• Like 2

Well yeah... and every other Bluetooth peripheral on the planet.

Yes, the amusing thing though is that Atari pointed out the Speaker hat connectivity, as if it were some great feature. And apparently it was one of the only things Atari told them about the Ataribox

@PlaysWithWolves

Yeah that's the video, looks like it was Atari themselves that posted it. There's also pics like below on their site:

main-bottom-2.jpg

Edited by vcoleiro1

They should have, instead of announcing the AtariboCS way back when, designed the controller - I'd buy that joystick - sell that, and use that capital to create the thing they're pimping now. Kind of like what Amiga did back in the 80's.

At least atari didn't shove an SNES mini in the ass of that shell, so I'll give them credit for that.

• Like 2

I suppose this is neither here nor there, but it's very weird to have four USB ports, with none of them next to each other. Usually when you have multiple ports, at least some get grouped off into twos.

Not necessarily. My work laptop has a few USBs, but none of them are grouped next to each other.

This wait remember me the long long wait for the Guns n Roses album called Chinese Democracy. Announced many times and finally released years later in the indifference of the fans. I hope in a different finale for the ataribox

but waiting too long could kill interest on a thing.

It's only been a relatively few months. Not particularly long for new hardware. We've heard about the Nintendo Switch for longer than this.

It only seems long if you talk about it every single day.

• Like 1

A bit of a closer look of the Atari VCS done by CNET. Looks like it will run Ubuntu

https://www.cnet.com/news/ataribox-atari-vcs-console-linux-hands-on-pc/

Video: https://www.cnet.com/videos/our-first-look-at-the-ataribox-the-atari-vcs/

"Good news: We finally understand what the mysterious Ataribox is all about. We've touched its deliciously retro ribbed plastic frame, and given its classic-meets-modern joystick a wiggle. The Atari VCS looks like it could be a real product, one you might be proud to own and display.

Bad news: There's not much proof it's real yet. Atari didn't bring a working VCS to the 2018 Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco, only mockups. Though the company has an interesting vision for the box, we weren't able to try a single game."

"Atari execs told us there's no longer a set price or a promised release date for the console -- because many of its key pieces, like its AMD processor and customized Linux operating system, are still coming together."

"Atari's classic joystick -- the joystick rotates to double as a classic Atari paddle"

"And now, it's been long enough that the company's considering whether it should move to a newer, faster AMD processor than the Bristol Ridge chip it originally planned to use. Which could mean a longer wait."

The Register was a little more scathing. They flat out told the guy showcasing the plastic that Atari didn't know what they were doing. Sounds pretty fair to me at this stage. They need to up their game.

• Like 6

If the controller supports wireless, why have so many ports? I certainly don't have 3 other friends who would play this with me, but maybe that's because of my toxic personality.

My PS4 has two USBs and it really isn't enough with you factor in external drives, charge cables, VR. I don't think 4 is a crazy amount.

Forgive my Q-bertism, but why the *%%$&@ is "Atari" publicizing this project when there's been so little progress towards anything worth showing? Just abuse of brand names we used to like, and breaking web searches forever.

I check N4G for game news. That site covers mostly PlayStation/Xbox/PC/Switch and ignores Atari for the most part. But Atari VCS was the top story there two days ago. I believe it was the top story a few times in the past after big announcements.

So Atari's approach to publicizing this thing is working. Gamers know about it, they are showing interest.

Contrast that to the marketing (or lack thereof) during the Tramiel era. Many people didn't know what Atari was up to. Many didn't even care.

So this project may ultimately crash and burn.. we'll see. But I can't fault them for how they've publicized/marketed it.

• Like 1

I just think it funny that the first thing #notmyatari did when promoting this was showing the case. The SECOND thing they did was show the box it came in. You'd think hardware details would have been at least the SECOND thing they did.

• Like 3

At this moment there are still a lot of unanswered questions that need to be addressed before I can be behind this project. At this point, I think going as a novelty item vs an actual competitor to major consoles is more reality. There are many passionate Atari enthusiasts here on this site. I would love a new Atari console, but want it done right. I do not want a $300 crowdfunding disaster. If the console comes out cheaper and offers updates to Atari classics, I will be more supportive.

• Like 4

It kills me because every release and announcement I'm less confident that they can pull this off but I want them to a little bit more every single time.

Its the OUYA problem. Consoles are tricky things and time and time again we've seen there isn't a market for microconsole/streaming device thingies, especially not at $300. But there's still a part of me that wants Atari (not your atari, yes, I know) to pull it off, wants to have this thing in my entertainment center, wants a team of a dozen people prove that you can do it.

But it just isn't looking good.

• Like 1

At this moment there are still a lot of unanswered questions that need to be addressed before I can be behind this project. At this point, I think going as a novelty item vs an actual competitor to major consoles is more reality. There are many passionate Atari enthusiasts here on this site. I would love a new Atari console, but want it done right. I do not want a $300 crowdfunding disaster. If the console comes out cheaper and offers updates to Atari classics, I will be more supportive.

Throw in some online multiplayer as well.
  • Like 1