IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Of course i am picking up on it.

There was so much potential but they messed it up.

Time was a huge factor on the success but they blew it.

The Retro Hype of the NES Mini and SNES Mini is already gone away. Other companies are already starting their Retroproducts, Sega is coming out with their Games, SNK announced their Neo Geo Mini, The Movie "Ready, Player, One" is already in Cinemas and will be "old and over" in 1 year, their own Hype will be a little bit old and forgotten next year, The Nintendo Switch will be sold in Millions until next year, so will the people buy another Extra Atari Console?, The PS4 and the Xbox One will be cheaper in one year and until Spring 2019 there will be huge Game Releases until then for the other systems, Nintendo will come up definetely with other Mini Consoles. Maybe the Gameboy or the Nintendo 64 until then and announce even more.

The delays were also not good for their reputation and the trust.

Atari has to come up with something very exclusive if they still want to be succesful.

I was very confident but with every week and month passing by, i lose hope for their success.

But i will definately buy one. The open Linux Systems will make this a huge Retro System with 10.000s of Arcade Games including Mame, C64, Amiga, Sega Mega Drive, Neo Geo, Super Nintendo, Vectrex etc and hopefully a working Pinball Mame System with Apps for TV Stations, Netflix, WWE Network and a working Internet Multiplayer System for the old Arcade Games. Imagine playing Final Fight or Raiden in Co Op with other Gamers from Japan or your Friends online.

And hopefully many new Remastered Versions from Classics like Galaga, Asteroids, Tempest and much more.

What will be the thing with the Cryptocurrency?

Will there be new and awesome features in cooperation with the company Sigfox? Maybe revolutionary features that will change Gaming or the everyday life? Because sigfox is the leading company in the new field of the "IOS" (Internet of Things) and also located in France. And the Blockchain technology is about to revolutionize our Lifes like the Internet did 20 Years ago until today.

We will see. I will judge the Console when i see the finished product.

Until then, everything is speculation.

• Like 1

It won't get made unless enough pre-order donate back the campaign. IMO, "I will judge the console when I see the finished product" is better suited for products being self-funded (like the Nintendo Switch). Caveat emptor (buyer beware) is best for crowdfunding and zombie companies who are pros at marketing-speak. I find it rather irresponsible to lay guilt on skeptics, especially when Atari SA have done absolutely nothing to deserve our blind trust.

• Like 4

Good plan. Definitely buy it, but no point speculating on anything you see until you can judge the final outcome on it's results. What could go wrong??

Stereotypical-Car-Salesman.pngcrazy%20doctor.jpg1360356540475.jpg

Hey guys, someone showed up at my front door and offered to put a new roof on the house for half the price of everyone else. I think I'll just pay him upfront--as he asked--and wait to judge the finished product when he comes back next year. If you believe this is foolish, you're just another hater.

post-39941-0-90265100-1525960662.jpg

• Like 2

Hmmmmm....he appears to have a real go-get-'er attitude and a real fashion sense, but I don't think you should do that. Applying critical thinking skills would suggest he's not very experienced. He has no tan to indicate he works outside on roofs. Now if he has steaks, shrimp or crab claws to sell from his trunk, that's a deal!

Why is it the people who criticize skepticism are the same ones saying "caveat emptor"? You can't have it both ways.

Honestly?? It's narcissistic egotism which every human is guilty of at one time or another. It's the belief that you possess some unique knowledge or skill that everyone else lacks. The notion that they have some innate superpower to predict the future or know something to be true despite no evidence or justification because their emotions want it to be so. They advise everyone else to believe as they do because they are singularly aware of all things, and others should beware if they think different because others clearly lack the super powers endowed on them.

That's also why it's inherently irritating and insulting to most other people while they can't understand why. They can't conceive of others not believing as they do when they just provided the service of their divine enlightenment.

Gaslight1.jpg

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 1

I honestly think that even with so much refusal against this new Atari VCS Console that if this would/will be sold in shops, markets and online (including ebay) that a lot of the thread participants will buy it.

Its just the carefulness against crowdfunding purchases because of negative experience in the past. And i can fully understand it.

To answer your question: As a Gamer for almost 40 years i am very curious and I will buy the wooden console for 100% sure and i think a lot of other of you people will buy it too offside of the crowdfunding if it is possible.

It's not crowdfunding that is the problem for me. I have purchased a lot of gadgets on Kickstarter. What turns me off? Offering something so completely boring as a PC, with only vague mumbling about maybe some kind of platform store.

If you think "a lot of the thread participants will buy it," well, perhaps you and I have different ideas of what "a lot" is. That is, if the Atari V¢S actually comes to pass.

The other Games for the Switch Release were not really great Games, he 1-2-3 Switch Game was even not more of a Demo. But the people wouldnt even wait for a few months just to see which development the Nintendo Switch will have.

Past performance matters. Nintendo has it. "Atari" does not.

Same with the Playstation VR Headset. Even today there is so much refusal and bad comments about PS VR. I am still wondering who bought the 1 Million Units within the half year. The behaviour of the consumers is very strange what i am witnessing.

And also same with the Movies: As soon the Trailers are coming out everybody is whining and bitching about the special effects, the story, the actors, the director. But when the Movies are coming out they even hit the 1 Billion USD mark.

What sold PSVR? VR Hype, maybe? That's assuming you consider 1 million out of the PS4 installed base of 70 million a "success." Oh, and actually coming out with a product and a bunch of software for it probably didn't hurt, either.

Of course people complain about movies. And many of them flop hard. But most of them have to go through some sort of greenlighting process, to make sure that the studio's money isn't being squandered on some magic-bean story like "Atari" has cooked up.

Don't equate a multimillion-dollar international film with a con job like "Atari," the comparison is ridiculous and insults our intelligence.

Lets see what will happen with the Atari VCS. I am witnessing this thread and will not wonder about how many units will sell although with so much hate and rejection.

Fact is: There are no specs but so many people have already judged that this is not a good thing which is very odd to me. I learned in school and from my parents that you can make your opinion only after you have the facts and especially your own personal impression for example of a finished product.

That's nice. I have learned from experience not to believe every huckster that tries to sell you something.

What has changed between your first posts in this thread (the only place you post on this board) and now? It's literally the same thing they've been promising since Feargal went away, right down to the 2600 Centipede video.

Time was a huge factor on the success but they blew it.

The Retro Hype of the NES Mini and SNES Mini is already gone away. Other companies are already starting their Retroproducts, Sega is coming out with their Games, SNK announced their Neo Geo Mini, The Movie "Ready, Player, One" is already in Cinemas and will be "old and over" in 1 year, their own Hype will be a little bit old and forgotten next year, The Nintendo Switch will be sold in Millions until next year, so will the people buy another Extra Atari Console?, The PS4 and the Xbox One will be cheaper in one year and until Spring 2019 there will be huge Game Releases until then for the other systems, Nintendo will come up definetely with other Mini Consoles. Maybe the Gameboy or the Nintendo 64 until then and announce even more.

Atari was the first to the mini console scene and they won't be the last. What difference does it make what others do?

The delays were also not good for their reputation and the trust.

Atari has to come up with something very exclusive if they still want to be succesful.

I was very confident but with every week and month passing by, i lose hope for their success.

Good morning, sleepyhead!

But i will definately buy one.

So you have said.

The open Linux Systems will make this a huge Retro System with 10.000s of Arcade Games including Mame, C64, Amiga, Sega Mega Drive, Neo Geo, Super Nintendo, Vectrex etc and hopefully a working Pinball Mame System with Apps for TV Stations, Netflix, WWE Network and a working Internet Multiplayer System for the old Arcade Games. Imagine playing Final Fight or Raiden in Co Op with other Gamers from Japan or your Friends online.

Um, why do I need to imagine this? I can do those things now, with existing setups. Ask me how!

And hopefully many new Remastered Versions from Classics like Galaga, Asteroids, Tempest and much more.

Namco has better things to do than to mess with Atari SA. Asteroids? OK, I feel a twinge of pity for someone who hasn't played out that concept, but sure, they could do that. Tempest? Out in a month on PS4.

What will be the thing with the Cryptocurrency?

Will there be new and awesome features in cooperation with the company Sigfox? Maybe revolutionary features that will change Gaming or the everyday life? Because sigfox is the leading company in the new field of the "IOS" (Internet of Things) and also located in France. And the Blockchain technology is about to revolutionize our Lifes like the Internet did 20 Years ago until today.

I think the time has once again come for you to assure us that you aren't on the payroll of "Atari." Maybe you'd like to weigh in on Atari SA vs. Frontier Developments, too?

I thought you were "definately" going to buy one?

No, everything is NOT speculation. We have seen nothing except empty boxes and empty promises. It's great that you have faith in the boobs in Paris, but it's pretty easy to extrapolate a third point from a trend line of nothing, nothing, nothing, and nothing. If Atari SA were a human being, she'd be in a coma.

post-2410-0-13819700-1525966448.png

post-2410-0-39109900-1525966933.png

• Like 5

From what I can tell Alexkeaton wasn't saying "never judge the Ataribox;" he saying "wait till we have system specs to judge the Atatibox."

He's not lacking critical thinking skills; he's just insisting on a different standard of evidence; product features instead of business dealings. Nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't contradict "let the buyer beware."

Shoot, he even admits Atari SA's made a lot of mistakes which will probably prevent their system from becoming successful, if it's ever released.

• Like 1

The original issue still stands and will continue to stand whether or not this actually hits crowdfunding and does or does not meet its target and whether it does or does not make it out into the wild some time in mid- to late-2019 or beyond. What does this offer that nothing else offers? Linux-in-a-box, a box that's targeted to mainstream users, appears to be the differentiator here. Is that REALLY appealing to more than a very specific group of users?

Anyone who knows me or follows my work knows that I'm generally a pretty optimistic, positive person. I'm REALLY struggling to see what the selling point is here, and believe me, it's not for lack of trying. I don't like seeing stuff like this crash and burn.

• Like 14

Crowdfunding certainly has its place, even though I've become much more skeptical of them lately. I've supported some and even bought a product or two that made it to Amazon. The AVCS strategy follows the RVGS/Chameleon's, and other failed crowdfunding campaigns, so closely that I find it troublesome.

I might be tempted for an AVCS if it was a real product and much cheaper, even at the expense of power. It would be woodgrain, because why only go halfway on nostalgia?

The only way that I can see a projected Spring 2019 shipping date is good is if Scotty is the chief engineer and that's what he told the CEO:

• Like 2

What does this offer that nothing else offers?

I keep asking this question and no one wants to answer. Another vital question is what does NuTari have in the terms of software? What can they use to sell the box that will make people buy it? I'd love to see someone give this a serious answer, someone who knows their catalog, but I expect I will be met with gifs and pictures of delicious tacos instead. Maybe William Shatner will also make another appearance?

Dr. Manhattan, we would ALL love answers to those questions but no one in this thread can answer them. The only one who possibly could (The Historian) hasn't posted one single bit of useful information in this whole thread and now claims to not be involved with Ataribox, so we are all left pissing in the wind.

Edited by glazball
  • Like 5

I keep asking this question and no one wants to answer. Another vital question is what does NuTari have in the terms of software? What can they use to sell the box that will make people buy it? I'd love to see someone give this a serious answer, someone who knows their catalog, but I expect I will be met with gifs and pictures of delicious tacos instead. Maybe William Shatner will also make another appearance?

Atari's press release sez:

a vast array of games

and:

Atari VCS covers the classics with the included Atari Vault of more than 100 classic games, including all-time arcade and home entertainment favorites like Asteroids®, Centipede®, Breakout®, Missile Command®, Gravitar® and Yars' Revenge®;

and:

a growing list of games, especially a full range of popular modern titles, will be announced at later dates.

Plus, it's heavily implied that Tempest 4000 will be available.

Although by the time Ataribox sees the light of day (if ever), Tempest 4000 will have been out for systems that actually exist for over a year.

If you want to know what Atari actually still owns, I covered that in an earlier post.

Of course, all of this still tells you nothing. But that's the information that's actually out there.

• Like 5

I think the answer to you and Bill's questions is quite simply "nothing". I currently have a Nvidia Shield TV that is able to more-or-less be able to do everything that the Atari VCS would be capable of doing. Now, maybe the Atari VCS might be able to do it better than that device, but I seriously doubt it. Quite simply, there are too many other options from much more established companies that will able to do everything the Atari VCS will be able to. The only thing keeping the Atari VCS afloat at this point is their name. If it was some other company they will be already tar and feathered at this point while being accused as another charlatan Coleco Chameleon type group.

• Like 1

Yay for confusion! I explicitely wrote 2600 above just to not mix up the old VCS with the new VCS. So yes, I was suggesting a licensed game cartridge for the Atari 2600, somehow based on Netflix properties, to be released before the "new" Atari VCS which will allow you to watch Netflix.

Carlsson you mad bastard!

That's a great idea!

• Like 1

I just want one of those joysticks, but one that's able to interface with a Roku channel loaded with 2600 games. Is that so much to ask?

Why is it the people who criticize skepticism are the same ones saying "caveat emptor"? You can't have it both ways.

I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I'm the only poster to use that term, and I think my skepticism about this project is unimpeachable. :grin:

• Like 2

Yay for confusion! I explicitely wrote 2600 above just to not mix up the old VCS with the new VCS. So yes, I was suggesting a licensed game cartridge for the Atari 2600, somehow based on Netflix properties, to be released before the "new" Atari VCS which will allow you to watch Netflix.

The cartridge should allow for the clustering of multiple 2600s, each with its own Netflix cartridge. That way, the unbridled distributed processing power of several thousand 6507s can be harnessed to handle the decryption of Netflix' video streams! Naturally, the 2600s will have to be on the local LAN for performance reasons - none of this laggy SETI@Home rubbish here.

Of course, 10Gbit networking, final 4K video and 7.1 audio processing, etc. would be done on the local (Cluster Controller / Master, in this context) cartridge. To attempt do it with any other design would just be ridiculous.

AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc., I expect hefty royalty payments and a consulting fee equivalent to the GDP of a small, unstable nation for this idea. PM me and we'll talk terms.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4

I think you need to work in blockchain crypto currency, and maybe some internet of things buzzwords into your pitch, but I'm too stupid/uncool to suggest how to do that.

By developing unique distributed computing technologies (which are totally our own thing and not in any way related to Beowulf clusters because we invented it all by ourselves using open Linux operating systems and didn't just `apt-get install` a bunch of stuff we don't really understand out of default package repos), AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc. is uniquely positioned to empower delivery of blockchain-enhanced entertainment experiences across a broad range of cloud-connected devices including newly-disruptive product niches.

We fully intend to incubate innovative interactive architectures by meshing the convergence of infrastructures and paradigms to achieve a greater mindshare of the Netflix-watching consumer. Through thoughtful whiteboarding of functionality repurposing, our first-of-kind platform disintermediates the concept of Inverse TDP, in which the greatest radiated thermal efficiency is achieved through scaling to the lowest possible usable amount of computing power while embracing the advantages of nearly limitless power consumption in this application.

Nope... Just can't go any further with it. I've had to sit through too much crap like this recently courtesy of vendor presentations, and regurgitating their horseshit (one really did try to work in blockchain as a reason to migrate to their networking platform) is hitting a little too close to home right now. Stopping here before I go glassy-eyed, drop my jaw, and drool into my own lap.

• Like 6