IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I'd say 95% of these crowdfunding things probably never intend to not deliver, but going from idea or prototype to full production is never easy. As was stated earlier, the plus in this case is that they're not promising anything particularly challenging to produce here. It's all off-the-shelf parts. About the only potential roadblocks are the UI/UX and related ecosystem they layer on top of Linux (which they can patch post-release, of course) and making sure fit, finish, and heat distribution are up-to-snuff with both the console and the classic controller (the modern controller is probably mostly a minor shell change for an off-the-shelf controller solution).

Not particularly challenging and all of the shelf parts. Our family is not the audience for this as we would (and have) just buy the parts on our own. As someone already posted, you can buy the parts now and get screen too.

So people want to part with their money for the sake of a case and a logo....

If you look at what people are "buying", just about every single one of them are getting the limited edition one, with only 300 people so far getting the cheaper model. So it looks like collector speculators are rushing in to get the limited edition that will sit on a shelf never to be opened. And once that's gone there isn't going to be much interest.

Wonder if these are the same people that "invested" in Bitconnect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK3yuxrmCac

I'm seeing a flood of collector speculators and people who want to review it for their YouTube channel biting, maybe some hipster trendsetters, but I can't imagine this will be selling to enough *actual users* to create a viable long-term platform.

This still smells really fishy to me.

• Like 2

I suspect their ability to actually hit production will be related to molds. If they have been doing nothing but 3D printing the box and classic controller to date, (looks like it), then they don't have molds and will have to get them developed by someone who actually knows what they're doing. If they have molds now, there's no reason on earth the off-the-shelf AMD board they're using can't be slapped in there and shipped in a few months. I've seen many of these projects die because the devs didn't have a clue about making plastic parts.

Sounds like someone got into the RetroVGS koolaid supply, in which having molds for plastic tooling is half the battle.

I don't buy it. Hardware is relatively easy. Software will take more time, and likely hasn't gone past the planning stages.

There has been a lot of problems with the payments.

Many people were charged several times.

For example:

Nathan Face I got errors while checking out and was charged 6 times. I only want 1 atari. How can I be refunded?

I was also charged twice.

The campaign raised 1.7 Million in 4 hours so far. I think it will be corrected to a much lesser amount for today.

I'm seeing a flood of collector speculators and people who want to review it for their YouTube channel biting, maybe some hipster trendsetters, but I can't imagine this will be selling to enough *actual users* to create a viable long-term platform.

This still smells really fishy to me.

While I'm surprised at how many backers they have attracted so far, in looking more closely at the numbers, they have really only "sold" a total of just over 4000 consoles with over a third of backers just going for a classic joystick and/or modern controller. Even if they do ten times that number during the campaign, they would still be well below the crowdfunded base that the Ouya had which was 63,000 consoles. That base was not enough for Ouya to be viable and I believe the top selling game on Ouya ever only sold 7,000 copies. So, I'm just not seeing how this works as a business for either Atari or the potential development partners.,

• Like 7

Hmmm, I guess if it doesn't do everything people want out of the box, could we put RetroArch on it? (Linux..... I know zero about Linux) If it's possible that would be interesting. I just gathered RetroArch has so many tweakble things I doubt I could get it going on Windows never mind Linux..... and what flavour of Linux are Atari planning to use (and does it make any difference for RetroArch?)

I too am extremely concerned about Indigogo..... I've backed 2 very straightforward things on Kickstarter. I wish it was Kickstarter and a bit cheaper too. I actually like the shape and the controller but I think I'll wait till 2019!!!!?????!!! to see how much it is then.... It can't be any more expensive surely?

Yeah, worst case, RetroArch will run on it.

In fact:

<PURE_FUCKING_SPECULATION>

IT WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME IF "ATARI" DECIDED TO USE RETROARCH AS PART OF THEIR "PLATFORM"

</PURE_FUCKING_SPECULATION>

Other companies did exactly this, before their hands got slapped.

-Thom

• Like 2

Guys, keep in mind that Atari has plenty of money for this project, as reported by Forbes and others as it being well funded. The VCS will come to market. The crowdfunding campaign is Ataris way of keeping the community engaged in the products development, as it looks like they will be seeking community feedback along the way. Kinda cool. On second thought, I may buy a woodgrain after all. Call me crazy.

Guys, keep in mind that Atari has plenty of money for this project, as reported by Forbes and others as it being well funded. The VCS will come to market. The crowdfunding campaign is Ataris way of keeping the community engaged in the products development, as it looks like they will be seeking community feedback along the way. Kinda cool. On second thought, I may buy a woodgrain after all. Call me crazy.

So, you believe these guys when, like every crook before them who took money and wouldn't tell backers what the hell was going on, they tell you that "The crowdfunding campaign is Ataris way of keeping the community engaged in the products development, as it looks like they will be seeking community feedback along the way"

You're crazy.

jonestown-cups-and-syringes-133ecd68-f21

Before Indiegogo: Hey guys, give Atari a break! They just went through bankruptcy and developing electronics is very expensive. Tables inside GDC are expensive too! Plus, they're just a small company.

Day of Indiegogo: Hey guys, Atari has plenty of money even without the IGG campaign! They're just doing this for the fans, because they're awesome like that. Plus, they're going to listen to fan feedback on this thing with set features that I already "pre-ordered", because I like not getting the thing I'm promised.

• Like 10

I thought this was somewhat mysterious.

post-2410-0-09149400-1527704857_thumb.png

It would have been more compelling had they named the name. Why wouldn't they? Is it because the contracts aren't done, or because they're blowing smoke?

Hmmm, I guess if it doesn't do everything people want out of the box, could we put RetroArch on it? (Linux..... I know zero about Linux) If it's possible that would be interesting. I just gathered RetroArch has so many tweakble things I doubt I could get it going on Windows never mind Linux..... and what flavour of Linux are Atari planning to use (and does it make any difference for RetroArch?)

They say it will be based on Ubuntu kernel 4.10, which is "fine" but in my opinion not really anything to brag about. It does suggest that they lack resources to develop or acquire a proprietary OS. Spinning that as an "open sandbox" is technically accurate, but end users might not find that as straightforward as a more locked-down experience.

Of course it can run RetroArch. RetroArch runs on just about anything. You can load in cores for Stella (Atari 2600 emulator) and just about any other old machine you can think of. You can probably run RetroArch on the device you used to post this message. By the way, they just released a new windows-icons-menu-pointer interface, which should be simpler for most folks to use:

And of course, you can start using this today. No payment or waiting or pledging or worries are needed.

But the Atari people say this, which I think is just weird.

post-2410-0-99514800-1527705194_thumb.png

upon reflection, I guess though the prospect of them letting a 2600 emulator into their store is interesting.

<PURE_FUCKING_SPECULATION>

IT WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME IF "ATARI" DECIDED TO USE RETROARCH AS PART OF THEIR "PLATFORM"

</PURE_FUCKING_SPECULATION>

Other companies did exactly this, before their hands got slapped.

I would think they would have the wisdom to keep Libretro code out of their setup. If not, well, they'll be named and shamed like the others before them. We should probably refrain from pre-judging them. I think they'll disappoint, but not in this particular way.

Don't fall for their "limited time only" nonsense. See how they only offer the "early bird" price for a little while? It's to scoop up all the dupes and collectors. The worst time to buy a traditional console is right at launch, when it's at its most expensive and there are only a few games available. The very worst time to buy a vaporware nonsense box is more than year before it comes out. Why give them an interest-free loan? What could you possibly get out of that arrangement? Retro-style joystick that you've never touched and could well suck?

giphy.gif

The thing is still pulling in money. Whether that's multiple ordering cockups from IGG's store or suckers being born every minute, it's hard to say. I'll paste this here as a mile marker since I can't find a tracker for this kind of campaign. If it slips compared to this, that would be bad.

post-2410-0-53889100-1527705616_thumb.png

Why is it doing as well as it is? Just collectors? If so, as Lando said, I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but I accept it.

If they're people who legitimately think they are getting a retro gaming system, I really wish they'd have a look at Recalbox or Lakka or Emulation Station or MAME or Retro Arch or just about a zillion other ways to do this.

• Like 1

This is golden.

post-2410-0-59644500-1527706467_thumb.png

Thanks for the questions, and they do matter to us. Feedback is important to our team! Atari VCS isn't build or designed to compete on the level of those other gaming systems. It's meant to bridge the gap between home entertainment, streaming, gaming, all while supported on an open platform to bring creativity and customizations to your experience.

We're committed as the Atari brand to bring Atari VCS to you. We understand the concerns, and welcome them. However we're excited to blow those concerns out of the way with a killer product.

WTF is that doublespeak supposed to mean? Is there a gap that needed bridging? How is this going to "game stream, connect like never before?"

Oh, there's a 14-month waiting period. I guess that's new.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

So you dont think the woodgrain will only be limited to the Indiegogo like they claim?

Who, me? I think my biases here are clear. I never thought it would fund, so don't look to me for fortune-telling predictions. It's quite possible they'll only make enough "woodies" to fulfill pre-orders. If that's important to you, you probably shouldn't listen to me.

Before Indiegogo: Hey guys, give Atari a break! They just went through bankruptcy and developing electronics is very expensive. Tables inside GDC are expensive too! Plus, they're just a small company.

Day of Indiegogo: Hey guys, Atari has plenty of money even without the IGG campaign! They're just doing this for the fans, because they're awesome like that. Plus, they're going to listen to fan feedback on this thing with set features that I already "pre-ordered", because I like not getting the thing I'm promised.

I think "the fans" who have not handed over money to AtariBox have significantly more leverage than those who "pre-ordered."

Oh, but they said this!

post-2410-0-96307800-1527707191_thumb.png

• Like 2

Like Bill and many others have stated, outside of the name there is nothing really special about this system thus far. Also, considering how many crowd-funded campaigns have crashed and burned, I really hesitant to go with something even if working prototypes have been given out to reviewers a la the Dreamcade Replay. Now that looks like something to get behind if it works as they promised it should. With this product, it does nothing that my Nvidia Shield TV can't do already. Sorry, I wish them luck, and will continue to keep tabs on this, but I am not going to put any money in Vega$ for them to succeed.

• Like 1

So how many people had taco memes ready for when the funding failed today?

I'm sure with the double orders the numbers will go down but I think its safe to say they have the funding.

Did anyone really think they wouldn't make their goals? Perhaps. But getting, say, eventually 65,000 people or so to pony up for a crowdfunding campaign like this and then be a going concern post delivery is another issue. This is relatively small stakes stuff and easy pickings. They obviously got past the first hurdle (exceeding their modest goal). Hopefully they can keep on going for when the real work has to start, and the real traction has to be picked up beyond just the crowdfunding stuff, a la Ouya (as others have pointed out).

• Like 4