IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I really want one of the joysticks but I still have two good legacy engineering usb ones so it's hard to justify

eh just wait for the inevitable fire sale. They are going to have to order a ton of those controllers, so when the system flops they'll have to move the stock to recoup some money

• Like 5

I said it before. This feels here like a sworn in group. You rant and grump and bleat the whole day and if somebody else comes he gets attacked.

Well, if you posted your stuff in that other thread instead of coming here and trolling, then it wouldn't of happened.

• Like 3

What is your problem with me?

I am not apologizing anything. I am just very optimistic. Unlike you, i never had problems with other Kickstarter projects and i have never been burnt with failed Consoles.

This is my first experience. It seems that most here are bittered people because their favourite hobby was treated badly in the past by crooks and you feel used and tricked by them.

But that is not a reason to make other people feel bad if they are happy to see an old company coming back to life again.

I am not French and already told that in the past. And even if i were from France: What difference would it make?

I live in Germany and my roots are from Greece. Are you happy now? Does it make a difference that you know that i am from Greece/Germany?

Man, get off my back. Everything i do or comment, you critizise me.

I saw the teaser last year from Atari on a Gaming News Website and was fire and flame the moment i saw it.

Because i always loved Atari when i was a Kid. Later in my youth i had an 800XL. That was my first Computer.

I admire you all because you really love your Hobby.

And i really feel sorry that you all were tricked and cheated with the Coleco or whatever.

But admit that Casual Gamers, Hipsters and Nostalgists like the idea of a new Atari Console.

The numbers speak for themselves. Its been a huge success. Compared to Nintendo or Sony it is almost nothing but it was pledged 2.5 Million Dollars already .

I am the one of 10.000 who likes it. So what? What is your problem with me that i like it?

Everybody has an Opinion. My opinion is that it is only the start and that there will be announced more and more in the future and that Atari will have a comeback and they will do anything

to satisfy their customers and bring more services and more Games and bring a fresh attitude to the market of the established big companies and that the community of Atari Players will grow more and more.

Success brings more success to it. If this Project will succeed than i am sure that the Community will grow from 10.000 customers to 100.000.

So just let me have my opinion and dont attack me personally.

I said it before. This feels here like a sworn in group. You rant and grump and bleat the whole day and if somebody else comes he gets attacked.

I wish everybody would be so rational and friendly like MrBeefy.

Maybe you should think to yourselve. It has gotten to a point where you are paranoid.

People who are optimistic are automatically employees from the company or from France.

I like you, alex, & even if I disagree I find your opinion valuable & refreshing. Someone (almost) always needs to disagree, or forums turn into echo chambers.

• Like 1

I preordered an onyx console with no controllers. The least risk option. I can live without the shitty right handed CX40 clone and Xbox pad. I have a Unicomp buckling spring keyboard and mouse. I can use a generic Bluetooth controller..

I should also hopefully be able to use my USB gravis gamepad pro for nostalgias sake

Edited by AlecRob

I considered updating the William Shatner advertisement, but is it correct that we still don't have any screenshots that with certainity belong to the Atari VCS? Tempest 4000 not known to exist in a Linux version, and the updated Yars' Revenge being a Flash game running on MSIE or something like that. With nothing genuine to show, perhaps the ad doesn't make sense to update just yet.

• Like 5

Honestly, I wouldn't think it would be a bad idea if AtGames bought Atari. Shoot, they have been the ones with the FB line to even give Atari SA any shot of success. Obviously, the name alone helps. However, if AtGames had control over Atari, I would think their products would get a lot better and with more content. Just my two cents.

Maybe we can start brainstorming some ideas for whoever takes over the Atari IP for their crowdfunding campaign in 2021, so that they might be able to get it right. I'll start

Keep it cheap, make tools for easy Atari game creation, have a marketplace for those games to be sold so homebrewers can make money off of them.

OK, what else?

• Like 6

What is your problem with me?

I havent seen so much nagging since my last visit at the old folks home where the old ladies are nagging from morning to evening.

This new product and the company makes you all so frustrated and bitter. And you still keep coming here and waste your valuable time with something you dont like and you dont want to support.

All i read here in this Thread is "mimimimimimi". "The new name is stupid", "There are so less people working for this company" etc.

You guys are waiting for every new info from this company because you can not wait to start nagging. I think thats why you are here.

If you want to spend your lifetime in a Thread of a company and a product which you truly hate - thats your thing. Its not very smart but if its ok for you, its ok for me.

This Thread is very entertaining. Every new info is greeted with hate, nagging and frustration. But the bitterness of your experiences and expectations annoys me once in a while.

I considered updating the William Shatner advertisement, but is it correct that we still don't have any screenshots that with certainity belong to the Atari VCS? Tempest 4000 not known to exist in a Linux version, and the updated Yars' Revenge being a Flash game running on MSIE or something like that. With nothing genuine to show, perhaps the ad doesn't make sense to update just yet.

How about a 1990s style "under construction" www screen?

I havent seen so much nagging since my last visit at the old folks home where the old ladies are nagging from morning to evening.

This new product and the company makes you all so frustrated and bitter. And you still keep coming here and waste your valuable time with something you dont like and you dont want to support.

All i read here in this Thread is "mimimimimimi". "The new name is stupid", "There are so less people working for this company" etc.

You guys are waiting for every new info from this company because you can not wait to start nagging. I think thats why you are here.

If you want to spend your lifetime in a Thread of a company and a product which you truly hate - thats your thing. Its not very smart but if its ok for you, its ok for me.

This Thread is very entertaining. Every new info is greeted with hate, nagging and frustration. But the bitterness of your experiences and expectations annoys me once in a while.

For the irony-impaired, the above is a reference back to this.

• Like 6

Meanwhile, the funds that developers have earned through the App Store are about to top $100 Billion. (sorry Atari, that's Apple)

post-2410-0-64290500-1528134498.png

Atari SA stock has rebounded to its natural state of 60 cents per share, as if they didn't have a "successful" funding campaign just a few days ago ...

post-2410-0-96141200-1528134358.png

... as if nothing ever happened.

post-2410-0-71026300-1528134422_thumb.png

It's really quite comforting, isn't it?

• Like 1

Looks like they just took off the time limit for the "early bird specials" for the onyx and reduced its " quantity left" number by about 24,000 units

Oh for goodness' sake.

Number of each that are left unclaimed:

197 Onyx EB

398 Onyx EB + joystick

596 Onyx EB all in

1191 EB consoles unclaimed.

06/06 and 06/11 deadlines remain intact, until they don't.

I wasn't going to tally these until tomorrow, but I noticed something strange afoot with the three onyx EBs. These are current from pressing the "back it" button. Bug from switching from a deadline to a limited quantity, perhaps? I'm thinking it reset the counter.

1728 Woody sets

3 Onyx earlybird

3 Onyx early set

6 Onyx all in set

3136 Woody all in set

1412 Secret Perk

6288 total console kits ( 9600 total backers)

1690 Woody sets

318 Onyx earlybird

637 Onyx early set

1 Onyx full price [REMOVED?]

1 Onyx full price set [REMOVED?]

91 Onyx all in set

2993 Woody all in set

1409 Special Perk

7138 total console kits (9242 total backers)

Backerkit tracking link.
An official explanation on Backerkit's prediction and trending models.

Speaking of Tempest 4000, I thought this was interesting. Llamasoft has not developed a Linux port and has no insider knowledge of the AtariBox whatsoever. Considering how outspoken their main developer has been about other issues (sample -- you can probably imagine much Italian waving of hands), I don't think this is the NDA telling them to shut up. He's also stated that it could just be running in WINE, as it's not a graphically intense game.

The Steam screens we've seen could be the "Big Picture" from a streaming device, not running natively.

The Tempest 4000 demo we've seen could have had something other than AtariBox driving it.

I'm guessing the backers don't know, or don't care.

BTW latest tally of systems only (count the controllers yourself if you care -- click on "back it" to get the current tally)

1549 Woody sets

244 Onyx earlybird

566 Onyx early set

1 Onyx full price

1 Onyx full price set

149 Onyx all in set

2594 Woody all in set

5104 total

edit: and maybe another 1400 "hidden perks?" Should they be included or counted separately?

• Like 4

I agree that people today still want Atari games. Where I disagree is, how is the VCSBOX a better idea than a Flashback or compilation collection for an existing system? What does this thing bring to the table that isn't already available without risk to the buyer OR Atari?

I just have to say it. Flashback consoles are a terrible product. They could do so much better with the quality of their hardware. People re-buy them every year because it's sorta like re-buying a piece of your fleeting youth. There's a little more going on than just wanting to play Atari 2600 games. AT Games, the company that makes the Flashback products simply doesn't care. They know they're pandering to nostalgia. Just look at the god-awful d-pad on their Flashback portable. Do they even play these games? Do they even care? Probably not.

So to everyone whose panned the VCS, but supported the Flashback series, well... glass houses and such.

So to everyone whose panned the VCS, but supported the Flashback series, well... glass houses and such.

I like the Flashback, especially for Atari games. It's fun, cheap, and you can buy them anywhere. Can't say ANY of that about VCS. The saying is, "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." How do you feel that applies here?

The difference being, of course, is that I spent all of 40 bucks on my Flashback portable, not $200-$300. I can forgive a sloppy d-pad at that level, and thanks to the SD slot, I can play just about anything I want.

• Like 7

I can play just abhor anything I want.

Freudian slip :lol:

Personally, I don't mind the controls on my 2016 Atari Flashback Portable. I've held the 2017 and like it just a little less, but at the price, it hardly seems worth crying about. Can't think of a better way no-fuss to play Atari 2600 games on the go.

Lest you think I'm all hate and criticism: giving back

• Like 2

I like the Flashback, especially for Atari games. It's fun, cheap, and you can buy them anywhere. Can't say ANY of that about VCS. The saying is, "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." How do you feel that applies here?

Plain and simple. It's a shoddy product that does a tremendous disservice to the classic Atari catalog. Sure, it's an entry level plug and play, but that's still no excuse. The success of the NES / SNES Mini products prove that people are willing to pay more for a better product. And the ultimate example of the incompetence of AT Games is their Sega Flashback line. They are of such poor quality that Sega has themselves taken up the mantle of making their own Mega Drive / Genesis mini console.

Part of me is happy that At Games is putting Atari products on the shelves in 2018, but my conscience and the Atari fan in me wishes they would do a lot better with their products.

The difference being, of course, is that I spent all of 40 bucks on my Flashback portable, not $200-$300. I can forgive a sloppy d-pad at that level, and thanks to the SD slot, I can play just about anything I want.

I really wish there was a decent D-Pad mod for the Flashback portable. Many games are just unplayable. I genuinely like the idea of a dedicated Atari 2600 portable game system. Buying AT Games products is like being the victim in an abusive relationship.