IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Mike's IGG went up to about $80k, before people started bailing on it. In theory, he could have kept the IGG going and ran with that.

But he didn't... I get he manipulated the community and led people along, but people act like they lost millions when he never took anyone's money.

But he didn't... I get he manipulated the community and led people along, but people act like they lost millions when he never took anyone's money.

Actually, he straight up committed fraud in my opinion. He intentionally misrepresented a product, was caught in the fraud and then only cancelled the campaign after the fraud was exposed. You're right that none of the backers lost money, but he induced at least one developer to expend money on supporting his "console" and a trip to a trade show for a significant amount of money.

• Like 5

It'll only be time when those words from the Spectrum will be replaced with the AtariVCS:

Today we have news of the impending demise of one of the higher-profile projects. The AtariVCS console bearing the Atari SA name that came with an impeccable pedigree in that it had the support of the man himself. It seemed like a good proposition on the crowdfunding site Indiegogo, and when it made its debut there in early 2017 earning nearly $3 million in short order. Things soon went sour though, with reports of a falling-out within Atari SA, followed by multiple missed deadlines and promises undelivered over the last couple of years. With little sign of either the money or the console itself, it seems Indiegogo have now lost patience and will be sending in the debt collectors to recover what they can. Whether the backers will see any of their money is unclear.

I'm pretty sure that "money" is what Indiegogo accepts.

• Like 3

A USB cartridge reader made me chuckle. They're just saying anything and everything is a potential possibility down the road to everyone who comments about something. LOL

• Like 6

Right, but it all got refunded

And this situation is the exception rather than the rule. So many projects never come to fruition and there's no way for backers to get refunded after the IGG campaign is complete unless it's something HUGE and a lawsuit is filed.

• Like 2

And this situation is the exception rather than the rule. So many projects never come to fruition and there's no way for backers to get refunded after the IGG campaign is complete unless it's something HUGE and a lawsuit is filed.

Agreed. I could have been more clear. I was just saying that the RVGS might be a bad example of a crowdfunding scam as far worse (Vega +) have happened. Don't want to make this any more off topic lol Edited by bmadgames
  • Like 1

Agreed. I could have been more clear. I was just saying that the RVGS might be a bad example of a crowdfunding scam as far worse (Vega +) have happened. Don't want to make this any more off topic lol

I see what you're saying, but wasn't there evidence that Vega+ at least had a production unit? I didn't follow that one so closely so I honestly dont know.

Looks like Atari finally reached out to Jeff Minter about it

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=87410&sid=77bcb401b566392dd951a4335128c0eb&start=240

OK FINALLY WE HAD SOME TALK

Fundamentally, I can assure people that "There will be T4K on VCS" .. that IS GOING TO HAPPEN, it will be there.

Details, does not really matter much, I mean "you'll get what you look for" and that's all that counts icon_smile.gif

Said that I can also add "glad we are finally there" so worries not, enjoy the VCS, T4K it's going to happen.

I think all that ( again ) came form some "lost in translation" or such things, overall anyway in a way or another we should be there now.

Hopes this will make some people feel more at rest now.

Cheers.

• Like 5

I see what you're saying, but wasn't there evidence that Vega+ at least had a production unit? I didn't follow that one so closely so I honestly dont know.

IIRC, there were three or four preproduction models. Calling them preproduction is being kind - cases were pretty rough, and there's some question as to whether or not they actually function.

• Like 1

You can pick up an X-Box One for $220 at Gamestop, and a preloaded RetroPie system from ebay for $150. So for under $400 you have everything you just asked for, and you don't have to wait a year for it

And there are E3 sales for the PS4 Pro ($350) and Xbox One X.

• Like 1

How is this console even profitable for Atari? Their production run is gonna be hella small so they won't make much off of hardware due to high per-unit manufacturing costs, their install base is going to be too small to make anyone want to make games for their store. For Linux, sure, but all that means is people will buy any games for this console through Steam and GOG rather than the native store. I sure would not want my digital game licenses on a store of a company that's constantly going bankrupt.

• Like 5

How is this console even profitable for Atari? Their production run is gonna be hella small so they won't make much off of hardware due to high per-unit manufacturing costs, their install base is going to be too small to make anyone want to make games for their store. For Linux, sure, but all that means is people will buy any games for this console through Steam and GOG rather than the native store. I sure would not want my digital game licenses on a store of a company that's constantly going bankrupt.

You're forgetting about Atari's mega successful indiegogo. They'll use the money to buy Microsoft and Sony and the games will sell like hotcakes once each gets released with its own collectible speakerhat. Please remember, Ataricoin is about to replace the dollar as the world's reserve currency and Atari itself is all anyone will talk about for the next 20 Christmases.

• Like 5

Ah, screw it. Just give me your money. I promise to deliver absolutely nothing in return, but I'll totally talk a good game (geddit?) about how awesome it is that you're a part of giving me your money.

Hey, at least I'm being completely up-front as to my intentions.

• Like 2

Ah, screw it. Just give me your money. I promise to deliver absolutely nothing in return, but I'll totally talk a good game (geddit?) about how awesome it is that you're a part of giving me your money.

Hey, at least I'm being completely up-front as to my intentions.

post-27032-0-53977700-1528519837.jpg

• Like 2

Backerkit shows yesterday was the lowest yet, but they still conned 109 people out of $30,628.

Looks like Atari finally reached out to Jeff Minter about it

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=87410&sid=77bcb401b566392dd951a4335128c0eb&start=240

As predicted, pigeons have taken on the "they'll fix it in post" ideology. That Llamasoft statement is exactly that--there's not a version now, but we'll build one! It doesn't address how Atari strongly mislead with the Tempest 4000 video or any of the other supposed gameplay videos (like the joystick). Coo coo. Coo coo.

Backers are willfully ignoring the many red flags, as well as other failed campaigns like the Sinclair. The response to each essentially:

• Like 5