IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

One could argue that they're not even Infogrames anymore. Infogrames was a major publisher in the 90's, with teams of developers & enough credit to buy out other companies. Today? They have 10 employees, & a bunch of properties they can't get funds to develop. Their founder's been gone for 10 years too.

I suppose, legally, they're the same company, but legally they're also Atari, since they bought Hasboro Interactive which bought JTS' Atari "division."

• Like 3

errr... Is this legit?

Atari age returns (finishing layout and articles for next month) PDF pub

TheRealGEOTUS

·
1 day ago
·

I'll be soliciting info from Atari - but it's going to be independent and devoted to covering the things you can do with it outside of Atari's offerings (and since they haven't been very specific - it's going to be mostly-that at the start).

There's a lot of things I and others are looking forward to implementing on our Atari-branded Linux PCs, including KODI, RetroArch and more. For those who are new to the Linuxbox scene it'll be a nice intro to what you can do and will include latest info on ways to future-proof your investment or play cross-platform AAA titles using streaming clients like PARSEC. There's also a lot of really great github forks coming out for classic and new linux games as well.

Even if Atari doesn't manage to meet expectations out of the gate - there's a lot a decent mid-range Linux PC can do and a lot of people aren't aware of the options available. Atari Age Magazine looks to feature those options.

I've got a nearly 30 year background in publishing, writing, advertising and design spanning up to my last (full-time) gig as Design Director for (Village) Voice Media. I support startups presently, so I can't resist pitching in and creating an outlet for indie developers and others curious about this new offering from Atari SA (keeping in mind the S is for startup - they're going to have hilarious pratfalls along the way I'm-sure).

post-39941-0-83527200-1528801589_thumb.png

• Like 1

Wait, what? Does that magazine have anything to do with this site or is it just a coincidence? I just looked up the name of the magazine and it seems that this magazine is named after one from 1982-84 that this site is also named after. It's another use of naming new things after old things that Atari SA seems good at. It could also make it look like we support the console even when we don't. There's one good thing about it though; it may give us a good idea as to what to expect from the VCS. Hopefully some hardware info? I'm not overly confident about that, but we'll see soon enough.

Just think.

Right now, at e3, some poor basted just got handed a business card from an atari rep who's begging them to support them with software. And that card took an immediate trip to the garbage can.

Or ebay since there are a ton of gullible people who love all things Atari

Mike Kennedy had Retro magazine that was going to feature articles, ads, etc for the Retro VGS / Coleco Chameleon, so it only makes sense for Atari SA to do the same for the Ataribox. We can mark that checkbox off the list now too.

• Like 7

Mike Kennedy had Retro magazine that was going to feature articles, ads, etc for the Retro VGS / Coleco Chameleon, so it only makes sense for Atari SA to do the same for the Ataribox. We can mark that checkbox off the list now too.

When they said 'ticks all the boxes', I don't think that's what they meant. :D

• Like 3

"Like Never Before". The hyperbole is strong with this one.

Let 'em have it. They're right.

You can play 35+ year old games and tinker with an underpowered linux box just like you've been able to do for ages, only this time it's even more overpriced and smells like butt. (Like never before!)

• Like 3

Wait, what? Does that magazine have anything to do with this site or is it just a coincidence? I just looked up the name of the magazine and it seems that this magazine is named after one from 1982-84 that this site is also named after. It's another use of naming new things after old things that Atari SA seems good at. It could also make it look like we support the console even when we don't. There's one good thing about it though; it may give us a good idea as to what to expect from the VCS. Hopefully some hardware info? I'm not overly confident about that, but we'll see soon enough.

I'm hoping that modern "atari" doesn't send AtariAge a C&D order

• Like 1

http://atariage.com/magazines/atariage.html

So ... thought experiment

HOW PISSED would the AtariBox backers be if they decided to drop Linux and go with Windows instead?

Pros:

Many, many more games right out of the can

Easier support

Instant solution to their Tempest 4000 problem

Cons:

It will suck up that tiny eMMC space they say they're shipping (unless they change that, too)

Not "open"

Goes back on a promise they made

Also, where the fuck is Tempest 4000? All the console version shipping dates seem to have been pushed back to June 26th, and there's no mention of it in Steam, PSN, or XB digital stores.

So ... thought experiment

HOW PISSED would the AtariBox backers be if they decided to drop Linux and go with Windows instead?

Pros:

Many, many more games right out of the can

Easier support

Instant solution to their Tempest 4000 problem

Cons:

It will suck up that tiny eMMC space they say they're shipping (unless they change that, too)

Not "open"

Goes back on a promise they made

Also, where the fuck is Tempest 4000? All the console version shipping dates seem to have been pushed back to June 26th, and there's no mention of it in Steam, PSN, or XB digital stores.

I've been saying this. Installing another partition on the thing with Linux or slapping a USB stick with a Linux boot partition keeps it open. I don't know what this "open" crap is supposed to mean anyway. If you mean you want to be able to install what you want on it. Having windows onboard get's you closer to that and doesn't restrict your ability to do what you want. It's not like the thing is running firmware that would need to be rooted to gain access. It's a frickin garden variety X86 equivalent box with an OS. They're just doin Linux cuz it's free and can be more effectively locked into their chosen config by only installing what they want. That sounds less flexible and open to me. Hullo....McFly.

They're just doin Linux cuz it's free and can be more effectively locked into their chosen config by only installing what they want. That sounds less flexible and open to me. Hullo....McFly.

Is linux still free when you use it in a commercial product?

Hahahahahahahahah...this might be the greatest intentional or unintentional troll in Atari history. :) I will definitely be subscribing.

The Chameleon thing was really sad, but Retro seemed to start off with good intentions. I subscribed for the first two years of it, and overall found it to be a bit better written then a lot of other retro mags. Production quality was also quite good. It did end up tanking along with Kennedy, though. Currently have a subscription to Old School Gamer, which is...not as great. Maybe not even good. Still, it's ok.