IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I see now why they are taking another year to release this thing. There is a significant engineering problem with the Atari VCS. How are they going to get a fat ass xbox stuffed into that tiny plastic Atari shell?

If the power brick is the size of a PC, we know what happened.

It's not quite that bad, but it's not good. We know they've chosen a 35W APU and there's going to be a serious engineering challenge getting one of those to work in a slimline case that's seemingly got no ventilation.

• Like 2

It's not quite that bad, but it's not good. We know they've chosen a 35W APU and there's going to be a serious engineering challenge getting one of those to work in a slimline case that's seemingly got no ventilation.

It looks like a radiator. Maybe it will be water cooled. :D

The ridges aren't able to have ventilation in them? *cough2600speakergrillscough*

Sorry... but I'm going to be really bummed if I find out I have to pull out of getting this thing. = w=

Well, I appreciate your concern... I'm likely going to do a wait-and-see approach until the last day. If they don't post their new announcement before the campaign is over, then I may

finally

pull out.

I was really just planning on using this as a nice little streaming box for my bedroom (I don't use regular cable TV but I have more than one TV in the house), and just to have it as a collectors' item (I pledged for one of the 6000-numbered woodgrain models, so that would've been kinda cool to have). That's why I sorta would prefer waiting, just in case this thing becomes somewhat of a rare item down the road. Specs and exclusives weren't the most important thing to me here, for me it was moreso the novelty of having a piece of brand new, authentic Atari hardware. And the modern controller would've been nice for gaming on my other gaming rig too. *sigh*.. :/

If you want I can go to a dollar store and buy you a bell and whistle. That way you will have the same perk as that 6000 "LE".

If you want the controllers just back that part. I understand wanting new Atari hardware. After this generation of systems I am probably dome buying a new system with maybe the exception of whatever Nintendo kicks out. I have fun on my xbox but it isn't great. But do you really want to spend $300 on something to look at just to say you have new Atari hardware?

If you want I can go to a dollar store and buy you a bell and whistle. That way you will have the same perk as that 6000 "LE".

If you want the controllers just back that part. I understand wanting new Atari hardware. After this generation of systems I am probably dome buying a new system with maybe the exception of whatever Nintendo kicks out. I have fun on my xbox but it isn't great. But do you really want to spend $300 on something to look at just to say you have new Atari hardware?

Lol. XD Well to be honest I actually don't mind spending $300 on what's probably going to be a neat-looking box with woodgrain and the light-up Atari branding, and I could use to stream movies, play Atari games, or even tinker around with the hardware and install Windows 10 on it, etc. I like messing with gadgets, so that would be part of the appeal for me with this thing. But I'm definitely with you there on not buying any new traditional consoles besides Nintendo.

The ridges aren't able to have ventilation in them? *cough2600speakergrillscough*

Sorry... but I'm going to be really bummed if I find out I have to pull out of getting this thing. = w=

Well, if the renderings they have on their own video are any indication, I don't see how they're going to work as vents:

post-2641-0-36623300-1530058624_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-30237600-1530058623_thumb.jpg

Much less have enough space inside the thing for, you know... circuit boards 'n' stuff.

• Like 4

Well, if the renderings they have on their own video are any indication, I don't see how they're going to work as vents:

Much less have enough space inside the thing for, you know... circuit boards 'n' stuff.

Hopefully it will run nice and cool without a fan!

vlcsnap-2018-06-26-19h22m13s689.png

• Like 5

The update… My guess: "Campaign Extended" for 30 days.

I see where you're going with this, but think that would be an extremely risky (and ill-considered) move for Atari SA to make.

On the one hand, extending it could potentially garner more backers.

On the other hand, an extension also allows anyone else who has been on the fence as to their participation a longer time to consider their position and also potentially back out. This could lead to a larger exodus than we've seen so far simply because what was thought to be a one-time 30-day opportunity has now been dragged out to up to 60 days - and there are already backers who are less than thrilled that the Woody has continued to be offered past its initial offering, albeit without whatever it was that made the first offering an apparently-limited edition. This would be a good way to piss them (and possibly others) off even further.

Given their track record in managing this campaign as well as the flatlined interest in it, ending it on schedule would probably be their smartest move.

• Like 2

Lol. XD Well to be honest I actually don't mind spending $300 on what's probably going to be a neat-looking box with woodgrain and the light-up Atari branding, and I could use to stream movies, play Atari games, or even tinker around with the hardware and install Windows 10 on it, etc. I like messing with gadgets, so that would be part of the appeal for me with this thing. But I'm definitely with you there on not buying any new traditional consoles besides Nintendo.

Personally, I prefer finished products from established manufacturers, that I can read about (or try) before buying. If it sucks, it's nice to have return options. You're a little late to the discussion, but ... there's this

• Like 2

attachicon.gifwhen-is-a-box-not-a-box.jpg

attachicon.gifwhen-its-a-solid-lump-of-plastic.jpg

I highly doubt those renderings are actually a good representation for how the case will be physically constructed-- it's an animation showing off the ridge look.

Realistically I would imagine the ridges all being contained within a single plastic shell, the front paneling is hot-glued to plastic clips on the front edge of the casing, and if you took apart the console it would slide open from the back (since that's the larger end).

Edited by Lodmot

I highly doubt those renderings are actually a good representation for how the case will be physically constructed-- it's an animation showing off the ridge look.

Realistically I would imagine the ridges all being contained within a single plastic shell, the front paneling is hot-glued to plastic clips on the front edge of the casing, and if you took apart the console it would slide open from the back (since that's the larger end).

I'm really getting a lot of enjoyment from your posts today. I have some miracle water for you. It tastes like sprite but it can cure cancer, I swear. It even comes with a limited edition label. You were in need or a drink anyway for your bedroom. So what's the risk? Don't worry so much about facts (let me just rub off that coca cola stamp there...) just go with what you hope it to be. I promise it'll be a wise move.

That'll be fifty two dollars.

Plus shipping.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifwhen-is-a-box-not-a-box.jpg

attachicon.gifwhen-its-a-solid-lump-of-plastic.jpg

Maybe that's their fall back plan? If the engineering fails they'll just ship as solid plastic paperweights.

Ah well, they'd be about as much use that way in the long run.

Many, many things, helping to bring the page count of this thread into Coleco Chameleon thread territory

There is something I'm genuinely curious about, and in that vein I'm asking you the following question without subtext:

What, exactly, do you hope to accomplish by posting in this thread?

I don't particularly mind that you are, but would like to know your motivation(s).

• Like 1

Maybe that's their fall back plan? If the engineering fails they'll just ship as solid plastic paperweights.

Part of me says this is the smartest thing they could do.

Specs and exclusives weren't the most important thing to me here, for me it was moreso the novelty of having a piece of brand new, authentic Atari hardware.
  • Like 2

There is something I'm genuinely curious about, and in that vein I'm asking you the following question without subtext:

What, exactly, do you hope to accomplish by posting in this thread?

I don't particularly mind that you are, but would like to know your motivation(s).

Well, I'm trying to balance out both sides of the equation here...… just trying to think of the different possibilities, then gather all the facts that we have, both good and bad.

One interesting thing I figured out just now is actually a bad thing-- the dimensions on the campaign page are definitely not what the console looks like in the photos.

I physically cut out/taped together paper that's exactly 14.5 inches wide and 5.3 inches in depth, and it's very elongated to be a regular console. Someone fucked up there. Lol.

Lodmot, I think you're a real person (as opposed to some trolls and sea lions we have seen here), and I believe you're sincere. I've seen you In other threads so it's not like you have a one track mind. It appears you have a working brain, but your mind is so blessedly open, all kinds of weeds and bugs and birds are getting in there, too. It's nice that you're considering "both sides," but as you do, consider:

- what kind of business locks out refunds almost a year before delivering?

- what kind of spokesman says "Atari is here, working on an update" after days of silence, then disappears again?

- if this thing is so great, why wouldn't it be like every other piece of technology that gets even better after release, once bugs and manufacturing defects are addressed, there's more software available, and maybe the price is lower?

- do you really want to give money to someone whose representative refers to the artificially scarce (and not yet produced) device as "bomb-diggity?"

• Like 7

Lodmot, I think you're a real person (as opposed to some trolls and sea lions we have see here), and I believe you're sincere. I've seen you In other threads so it's not like you have a one track mind. It appears you have a working brain, but your mind is so blessedly op,en all kinds of weeds and bugs and birds are getting in there, too. It's nice that you're considering "both sides," but as you do, consider:

- what kind of business locks out refunds almost a year before delivering?

- what kind of spokesman says "Atari is here, working on an update" after days of silence, then disappears again?

- if this thing is so great, why wouldn't it be like every other piece of technology that gets even better after release, once bugs and manufacturing defects are addressed, there's more software available, and maybe the price is lower?

- do you really want to give money to someone whose representative refers to the artificially scarce (and not yet produced) device as "bomb-diggity?"

Lol, well thank you. XD I actually don't mind people picking on me so much, I can find the humor in it. :)

But you do raise good points I'm afraid... I'm hoping that perhaps tomorrow we're going to see a new update that quells all our worries. I'm not exactly holding my breath though.

I want to give this thing an honest chance before I say "fuck it" and request a refund before the time runs out. I actually liked the idea of having sort of an Atari-branded collector's item, and a joystick and gamepad that I can use with either my smart phone or the console itself.

Also, "bomb-diggity"? xDD Didn't see that one. LOL

I actually liked the idea of having sort of an Atari-branded collector's item

Well, even if for me the machine itself is kind of pointless and overpriced (I'm building my own custom mini PC for retro games), I can see how the "branding" angle can appeal to some Atari fans.

However, the massive problem here is the fact that Atari SA has no connection to the old Atari whatsoever, apart from the receipt for the IP. And worse yet, they have worked really hard over the last few years to bring this brand into a disrepute. So, you're not actually supporting the legacy brand in any way but the new tainted one.

• Like 5

After hours of research, asking questions online, searching forums, etc. I was finally able to track down some concrete information about that ataribox- specs, games, programmers, etc. I don't know if this is legitimate, if it comes from atarisa, etc, but- for what it's worth, here you go. Read for yourself, directly from the source, and decide accordingly:

http://www.zombo.com/

• Like 1