IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

UPDATE # 117 - May 17th 2022.

WE VALUE OUR BACKERS and want you to know we are still listening. To show our gratitude to you and your value to us, we've decided to UPGRADE each and every front bezel and at the same time show our commitment to a sustainable future, reach out to future generations of Atari fans as well as announce that ZING, we have a new PARTNERSHIP with another much-loved ICONIC brand from our childhoods and we think the results will speak for themselves. That's right, the legendary POPSICLE has stepped forward to supply us with gently-used product, gathered from schools far and wide and we have again, where we can, employed the help of the adorable children from those schools in their spare time, who will be lovingly hand-crafting each and every one, as unique as every one as our BACKERS and the trusting love that only the very young at heart can bring.

^Dimly lit photo of naive, confused five-year-olds^

D'AWW! (Special Thanks to Mrs Johnson's Kindergarten art class)

Well, until next update, Stay Atari!

*POPSICLE brand is used "For Illustrative Purposes Only" and is not affiliated with Atari nor do have knowledge of my senseless parodying.

• Like 3

Lol. XD Well to be honest I actually don't mind spending $300 on what's probably going to be a neat-looking box with woodgrain and the light-up Atari branding, and I could use to stream movies, play Atari games, or even tinker around with the hardware and install Windows 10 on it, etc. I like messing with gadgets, so that would be part of the appeal for me with this thing. But I'm definitely with you there on not buying any new traditional consoles besides Nintendo.

Unfortunately if it ever comes out the tech inside will be outdated and streaming might not be as smooth as it could be with a more updated unit.

• Like 2

After hours of research, asking questions online, searching forums, etc. I was finally able to track down some concrete information about that ataribox- specs, games, programmers, etc. I don't know if this is legitimate, if it comes from atarisa, etc, but- for what it's worth, here you go. Read for yourself, directly from the source, and decide accordingly:

http://www.zombo.com/

This is a terrible and pernicious lie! Everyone knows the real information can only be found here: http://obmoz.com/

• Like 1

I love the irony of that post, because if you read the disclaimer on the IndieGogo Atari VCS page, it basically says: We take your money and don't have to give you anything, but hey, so long and thanks for the cash...

post-23-0-44269900-1530067173_thumb.png

So I'm curious, if the troll in this thread, who is actually Mario from Uber Strategist (Atari's PR Damage Control firm) try to put another positive spin on this one?

UPDATE # 117 - May 17th 2022.

WE VALUE OUR BACKERS and want you to know we are still listening. To show our gratitude to you and your value to us, we've decided to UPGRADE each and every front bezel and at the same time show our commitment to a sustainable future, reach out to future generations of Atari fans as well as announce that ZING, we have a new PARTNERSHIP with another much-loved ICONIC brand from our childhoods and we think the results will speak for themselves. That's right, the legendary POPSICLE has stepped forward to supply us with gently-used product, gathered from schools far and wide and we have again, where we can, employed the help of the adorable children from those schools in their spare time, who will be lovingly hand-crafting each and every one, as unique as every one as our BACKERS and the trusting love that only the very young at heart can bring.

^Dimly lit photo of naive, confused five-year-olds^

D'AWW! (Special Thanks to Mrs Johnson's Kindergarten art class)

Well, until next update, Stay Atari!

*POPSICLE brand is used "For Illustrative Purposes Only" and is not affiliated with Atari nor do have knowledge of my senseless parodying.

Edited by Curt Vendel
  • Like 2

Why do I get the feeling the update is going to come after the campaign closes? icon_ponder.gif

"We're working on fabricating another lie instead of a console, stay tuned!"

How does one "work on" an update? You whip out your phone, type a few lines, and it's out there.

They have to word it carefully when they release the remaining ~400 numbered Classic Editions for "pre-sale".

Posting an update is a lot like a rocket launch...

The update… My guess: "Campaign Extended" for 30 days.

post-2410-0-36398500-1530068211.png

• Like 5

Well hey...… what if it's a video update?

Someone's gotta look at it from a positive angle. xD

That's stupid, it's Atari, obviously telekinesis is the preferred delivery method. Did you get any signals from your fillings? :)

• Like 1

From an mechanical standpoint, the case won't work... even with an A10 Pro "E" series 35W CPU, a laptop style horizontal blower and lower profile heatsink, the case has no ventilation... that works fine on a MacBook, which is made from aluminum alloy, and it sponges up and dissipates heat easily... that's an expensive route which Atari won't go as this thing will be done on the ultra cheap. I've worked with Chesnais the CEO of Atari directly in the past, he makes Scrooge look like a spend thrift, man is a cheapskates idol.

So the case as it is will have to be redone to create some kind of convection flow and the rear panel will have to be completely redone, the glued on ports are in a non-realworld set of positions anyway, but what do you expect from an empty shell with some LED's inside to make it light up.

Even so... I'd be concerned still about overheating if that thing actually runs modern games and the graphics chip and CPU are running high... its either going to lock up often and crash or if it does manage to stay working, its very possible after a while, you'll start to see people posting photo's of their cases bending and warping.

It's not quite that bad, but it's not good. We know they've chosen a 35W APU and there's going to be a serious engineering challenge getting one of those to work in a slimline case that's seemingly got no ventilation.

• Like 10

Unfortunately if it ever comes out the tech inside will be outdated and streaming might not be as smooth as it could be with a more updated unit.

I'll leap to the defence of AMD once more and say that the A10 is more than adequate for streaming and pretty much all uses you'd put a media PC to, with the obvious exception of modern AAA gaming.

That's not to say that Atari won't manage to gimp it in some fashion or otherwise fail to deliver, but the underlying tech is easily good enough.

• Like 1

Oh hey, it's my comment. Lol. :P

Buddy, I gotta level with you. If you really want something like this, I get where you're coming from.

I don't want to see you disappointed. I also don't want to get up and go to work in the morning, but in the end, what I didn't want won't have made any difference.

• Like 4

Buddy, I gotta level with you. If you really want something like this, I get where you're coming from.

I don't want to see you disappointed. I also don't want to get up and go to work in the morning, but in the end, what I didn't want won't have made any difference.

Thanks for understanding dude. > w <

Yeah, it sucks that I'm probably going to have to cancel my pledge. I'll wait until the last day and if nothing else, I'm either going to pull out or at the very least downgrade to just the controllers.

• Like 3

He took a pretty pro-AtariBox stance in the "debate" and had a whole series to the tune of "they haven't been proven a scam yet." What changed?

Handy infographic, for future reference:

attachicon.gif8A937821-CC23-45E2-99A6-47A2B1AB5F42.gif

Turd polish. Great idea for a product. Gotta love that old fashioned spunk and ingenuit-

Oh, my god, what is that terrible smell? Your shoes reek... :woozy:

Still no update, huh? Maybe they were working on it but broke their display model trying to make a raspberry pi fit inside it.

Maybe they meant they are updating their Windows 10 .. sometimes that can take a while especially if it's one of those pesky service packs!

• Like 2

The front comment page on the IGG campaign, on initial load, is only a few responses deep and it will be pretty easy to keep the initial page of that clean by those who seem to have knowledge and the gumption to deploy all of any possible positive spin. A couple of them I suspect are from the PR firms,. So, end of campaign notices should be going out pretty soon, as well as possible last-chance notices to their general newsletter subscribers; so the more casual pledgers will be checking in on the progress, as well as new possible pledgers. I wonder if it will start to pull up, stay stagnant or drop further. I think there will be a tepid up-tick, but I seriously doubt it will push past 3M.

If I may offer some sort of "consolation" to those Atari fans dismayed by this whole trainwreck, well, at least it's not as bad as the Sinclair Vega+ horror show. I - a ZX Spectrum kid through & through - just had a peek at the latest from that debacle and it involves bitter infighting, tax evasion claims, going from 1000 games to 18, convicted criminals, "erotic chatbots" (no, really), backer's refund drives, meetings in champagne bars and so on.

But that's on par, shall we say. But, by far the worst and disgraceful thing is that Sir Clive Sinclair himself, who's old, of very frail health and apparently unable to participate in person, has become an object of a pathetic tug-of-war between the shareholders fighting over his vote. And it seems it's not the first time that has happened.

Trying to use and manipulate somebody who's infirm and ailing for the advancement of your personal fraudulent scheme is just about as low as you can go. The fact that this person is also a microcomputing legend just adds insult to the injury. At least you don't have to watch your heroes being dragged through the mud, it's "just" the more impersonal brand.

• Like 4

If I may offer some sort of "consolation" to those Atari fans dismayed by this whole trainwreck, well, at least it's not as bad as the Sinclair Vega+ horror show. I - a ZX Spectrum kid through & through - just had a peek at the latest from that debacle and it involves bitter infighting, tax evasion claims, going from 1000 games to 18, convicted criminals, "erotic chatbots" (no, really), backer's refund drives, meetings in champagne bars and so on.

But that's on par, shall we say. But, by far the worst and disgraceful thing is that Sir Clive Sinclair himself, who's old, of very frail health and apparently unable to participate in person, has become an object of a pathetic tug-of-war between the shareholders fighting over his vote. And it seems it's not the first time that has happened.

Trying to use and manipulate somebody who's infirm and ailing for the advancement of your personal fraudulent scheme is just about as low as you can go. The fact that this person is also a microcomputing legend just adds insult to the injury. At least you don't have to watch your heroes being dragged through the mud, it's "just" the more impersonal brand.

Did you get in on the ZX Spectrum Next? That project seemed to be handled really well from start to finish.

• Like 1