IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

That's cute ... the same thing is already available on AliExpress, except as a direct sale, no waiting for the crowdfunding.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-06-27 at 7.47.11 AM.png

Maybe Atari should just pick some existing tech, and rebrand it as their own? Oh wait, that's exactly what they're already doing.

Yeah, it's the same hardware but at a massively lower spec. You thought you were getting a super powerful mini-PC, well here's a cheap Atom tablet instead; hope you don't notice the difference.

I wonder if Atari are considering fobbing backers off with a late switch to the Cherry Trail Atom too? It's about the only CPU that they could fit in that case without needing a major redesign for cooling and it'd probably have the performance to run Vault too.

I think the biggest problem of these projects would be the software. Without software it's worth nothing.

Yeah, and Atari haven't exactly given us a load of quality software in the past four years, have they?

If you're expecting anything more than the same Linux version of Vault that's been out for a while, a bunch of bundled free apps and some shonky launcher on top of it, you're most likely going to be disappointed. And that's assuming that they can sort out the hardware.

The product on Ali Express promises a 1.84 GHz Intel Atom X5-Z8350 Quad-Core, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM (SSD?) running Android 5.1 or Windows 10, yadda yadda. Passmark CPU score of 1281 at 1.44 GHz.

The product on Indiegogo promises a 2.56 GHz Intel Atom X7-Z8750 Quad-Core, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD running Android 5.1 or Windows 10, foldable keyboard, yadda yadda. Passmark CPU score of 1948 at 1.60 GHz.

I'll agree there is a significant difference between the specs, but I'm not qualified enough when it comes to modern PC hardware to say if it is massive or not. Also I didn't check Ali Express if there are more powerful specs on sale.

Yeah, it's the same hardware but at a massively lower spec. You thought you were getting a super powerful mini-PC, well here's a cheap Atom tablet instead; hope you don't notice the difference.

I wonder if Atari are considering fobbing backers off with a late switch to the Cherry Trail Atom too? It's about the only CPU that they could fit in that case without needing a major redesign for cooling and it'd probably have the performance to run Vault too.

Yeah, and Atari haven't exactly given us a load of quality software in the past four years, have they?

If you're expecting anything more than the same Linux version of Vault that's been out for a while, a bunch of bundled free apps and some shonky launcher on top of it, you're most likely going to be disappointed. And that's assuming that they can sort out the hardware.

There's no shortage of mini PCs out there. Apart from the AMD "partnership," I don't see why they couldn't. There are also tons of existing frontends for the enterprising geek to make his or her own "AtariBox." Nothing missing but the brand. Obviously, there's a difference of opinion as to what that's worth.

• Like 3

There's no shortage of mini PCs out there. Apart from the AMD "partnership," I don't see why they couldn't. There are also tons of existing frontends for the enterprising geek to make his or her own "AtariBox." Nothing missing but the brand. Obviously, there's a difference of opinion as to what that's worth.

You're most definitely going to facepalm when I tell you this-- I actually have my own "Sega console" gaming rig that I built with a white Dr. Zaber Sentry case. It has a desktop mode and a "gaming" mode much like the Atari VCS is sort of touting. xD

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/183-show-off-your-setup/?page=936&tab=comments#comment-11116165

Go ahead and say it-- "Why in the holy mother of fuck did this guy need an Atari VCS?" LOL

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3

The product on Ali Express promises a 1.84 GHz Intel Atom X5-Z8350 Quad-Core, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM (SSD?) running Android 5.1 or Windows 10, yadda yadda. Passmark CPU score of 1281 at 1.44 GHz.

The product on Indiegogo promises a 2.56 GHz Intel Atom X7-Z8750 Quad-Core, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD running Android 5.1 or Windows 10, foldable keyboard, yadda yadda. Passmark CPU score of 1948 at 1.60 GHz.

I'll agree there is a significant difference between the specs, but I'm not qualified enough when it comes to modern PC hardware to say if it is massive or not. Also I didn't check Ali Express if there are more powerful specs on sale.

In case you are in any doubt, check out the update where everyone gets a free upgrade to an M3 CPU and 16GB RAM.

Hm, ok. I forget that a crowdfunding campaign may not update the basic info once it has been started, only through updates so anyone late to the crowdfunding needs to read through all the updates before knowing what is offered.

Intel m3-7Y30 : 3557 on Passmark CPU

AMD A10-9630P: 4492 (the one supposedly inside the Atari VCS unless they also upgrade)

So yes, if Atari would cheap out and put a CPU which performs at below half of what they promised, that would disappoint many customers. Of course if they cheap out even more and don't put in a CPU at all, it will disappoint nearly all customers.

"Atari VCS™ Team Officially Welcomes Rob Wyatt, System Architect of Original Xbox® Console and Innovator of Notable Game Hardware and Graphics Projects"

If true that's cool.

"Atari VCS™ Team Officially Welcomes Rob Wyatt, System Architect of Original Xbox® Console and Innovator of Notable Game Hardware and Graphics Projects"

If true that's cool.

Sounds impressive, but then I remember that John Carlsen was chosen for the RetroVGS project because "he was hired to design a PlayStation because he reverse-engineered a PlayStation" or something like that, and his most enduring "contribution" to that project turned out to be this ludicrous video. Don't bother me with the team's credentials; call me when and if they've actually produced something.

• Like 15

Sounds impressive, but then I remember that John Carlsen was chosen for the RetroVGS project because "he was hired to design a PlayStation because he reverse-engineered a PlayStation" or something like that, and his most enduring "contribution" to that project turned out to be

. Don't bother me with the team's credentials; call me when and if they've actually produced something.

Agreed. I didn't ask for an announcement of a new team member-- I wanted to see a legitimate update of what they have for a console right now.

Sticking to my plan from last night: If they don't produce any real updates by the end of the campaign on Friday, I'm changing my pledge to just the controllers.

• Like 2

HOW DO YOU FEEL NOW, HATERS?

Well, not too bad actually, thanks for asking. None of the things that bothered me - such as the lack of aim, software, silly price, specs, general pointlessness - have changed. It's now slightly more probable that it will see the light of the day, but for me it's still a damp squib.

• Like 3

Was that their big announcement? That they were able to attract another credential? He seems qualified, but I agree they should probably be farther along than they appear to be. Their continued emphasis on hardware is puzzling.

When they say "joined the team," I wonder what that means in terms of effort hours. Will he be involved in engineering, or is this more of a boardroom position?

Again, we will watch what they do, not what they say.

• Like 2

So are comments on Indiegogo, but most people to this point have blurred names in screenshots for the courtesy of they never wanted short-lived messages on social platforms to be recorded forever on a long-term forum.

If you don't want it to live forever, don't post it online. Internet 101.

• Like 7

They are simply trying to make this whole thing go on, a bit longer. This whole mess will stop when either:

(a) somebody acquires Atari

(b) they run out of other people's money

and given that we live in an age of enabling crowdfunding sites? (b) is not fucking likely.

-Thom

• Like 4