IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Announcing a system designer at the last moment? I remember that with the OUYA, they announced their designer from the outset, it being a major clout selling-point. He had worked on the OUYA design months before campaign launch, revising it as they went along and needs changed. At least they're catching up to basic first-pass expectations. icon_wink.gif

It could be that, as they imply, that he has been partnering with them for awhile and the case, as presented, is just an earlier "sexy" concept (now, misleading) version, used for marketing and the actual case is now far more practical (and cheaper).

I won't be happy until it comes out in bright pink plastic and gives a little when squeezed, making a little squeeking noise. icon_wink.gif

• Like 3

There's no shortage of mini PCs out there

You do not even have to look on AliExpress - the Fujitsu Esprimo Q series PCs are nifty little machines that are available with i3 to i7 CPUs (albeit the i7 is much higher priced than the AtariEmptyBox), you can get a previous generation one with i5 on eBay for less than 200 Euros (Q520 and Q920, e.g.).

• Like 2

That squeaky taco got me thinking... Atari should have made a SqueakerHat™. A plush, squeaky, toy baseball cap with the Atari logo on it.

That would almost be worth licensing their logo for.

Would probably be a big hit on Indiegogo.

Then I could be a troll and a hatter.

Take t-hat Atari!

I'm done now.

• Like 4

"Atari VCS™ Team Officially Welcomes Rob Wyatt, System Architect of Original Xbox® Console and Innovator of Notable Game Hardware and Graphics Projects"

If true that's cool.

Rob was involved in the beginning, though I don't know in what capacity, during Feargal's time on the project. Perhaps he has a more official role now.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 1

Rob was involved in the beginning, though I don't know in what capacity, during Feargal's time on the project. Perhaps he has a more official role now.

if he was always there why was it kept a secret until now? surely the campaign launch should have been the moment to reveal their hand? arzt uncomfortably dodged that question for an agonizingly long time in the register interview also which did a lot to set its negative tone. none of this makes sense to me

You know what sucks ... now when I type Atari VCS I only get this shit. If this thing ever comes out Ebay is going to be a mess when searching for 2600 :)

Just be thankful they changed it from the Atari Box. Would have made it impossible to search for boxed games on ebay

• Like 2

If they hire Jeff Minter to create a visualizer for it, I can almost forgive them their prior transgressions and might consider purchasing one in the future - almost.

*With credit to travistouchdown, for expressing a similar idea in the status updates, albeit on the current Playstation, sharing the same thought-sphere. icon_razz.gif

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 1

Just be thankful they changed it from the Atari Box. Would have made it impossible to search for boxed games on ebay

I'm thrilled it isn't called the Ataribox, just for the simple reason that if this thing ever does get released it would make looking for boxed atari games on ebay a pain in the ass

I for one am thankful that they changed the name, because if they had kept the name AtariBox it would have made searching for boxed games on Ebay and pain in the ass.

Why do I feel like we just keep going in circles in this thread?? :P

• Like 3

You keep saying that. Personally, as someone who cares not two shits for boxes (I literally threw mine away and have no regrets), I think ruining the VCS name is far worse. Fight me.

If they hire Jeff Minter to create a visualizer for it, I can almost forgive them their prior transgressions and might consider purchasing one in the future - almost.icon_razz.gif

It would fit the Minter mold of repeatedly backing the wrong horse. I'm still stinging from how he failed to adapt to iOS, which could have been great for him, the stubborn old goat.

Guys, Atari's just started responding to backers directly again. Not sure what that means.

That means it's time for me to commence maximum shitposting again.

Isn't this exactly what a scammer would say?

post-2410-0-57976100-1530134590_thumb.png

Even better than a loyal supporter: a useful idiot!

post-2410-0-42691800-1530134615_thumb.png

Why would someone regret a refund? If this is going to be so great, they can buy it when it comes out. Who needs to be an early turd?

post-2410-0-80256900-1530134627_thumb.png

You make some excellent points, but no, we're not going to show any games in action. You should look at other stores for games instead. Go Atari!

post-2410-0-53437500-1530134726_thumb.png

This is so wizard! Now THIS is pod racing!

post-2410-0-88288800-1530134749_thumb.png

Seriously, what are you going to believe? Me, or your own eyes?

• Like 4