IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Saw this on facebook today...

I think we have the Atacobox portable!

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1535392138660.jpg

Is it sad that I want this joke product to exist moreso than the real vcs ii?

Edit: 504 pages already and I'm stuck on 498. Not enough hours in the day to work full time, sleep, and read every post. Gotta pick two of those options... :P

So if a 4 year old development board costs $490, and the final console should be possible to sell for $300 (unless they hitched up the price after the early bird offers), there gotta be quite a bit of economy of scale in production, plus of course that the final PCB probably still remains to be designed unless AMD has a generic, smaller board for them to buy.

OK so I had a few hours to process the stupid of this, and let me see if I have it right

These clearly not idiots, cause cpu knows a guy, are standing in a cardboard and OSB mocked up corner of some dudes garage, acting in sheer delightment because they got linux installed on a devboard that clearly any moron off the street can buy on ebay.

Under the idea of thermal testing ... in open air, on bubble wrap, with a board labeled 35 watts

over a year and a half, and 3 million in funding these clearly not idiots, cause cpu knows a guy, and this is the best they can do

right?

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 9

OK so I had a few hours to process the stupid of this, and let me see if I have it right

These clearly not idiots, cause cpu knows a guy, are standing in a cardboard and OSB mocked up corner of some dudes garage, acting in sheer delightment because they got linux installed on a devboard that clearly any moron off the street can buy on ebay.

Under the idea of thermal testing ... in open air, on bubble wrap, with a board labeled 35 watts

over a year and a half, and 3 million in funding these clearly not idiots, cause cpu knows a guy, and this is the best they can do

right?

I think you got it right on the first try! BTW, where exactly is their prior "test" board and functional prototype?

Redacted PCB boards or not, this project has officially pulled ahead of the Coleco Chameleon in terms of credibility. Not much of an accomplishment, I know, but at least it's something.

I wouldn't go that far. The Chameleon had an actual case to put electronics in which was previously established to provide required cooling for electronics. The fact that they had nothing by way of electronics is beside the point because, as of now, Infotarigrams has absolutely nothing for a board, and no idea what, if anything, can fit in their pretty case. I'd give them credit for the control(s), but I don't believe either of them are functional. They're still only at plastic mock-up phase and have yet to figure out how to make anything that works together, despite it being planned as a generic Linux computer. It's all pretty astounding given how long they've been trotting their mock-ups around. We don't even know if Power A has rights, molds or production capability for the classic controller at this time. Given their contortions to create the appearance of having more than they do, you know they'd be heralding anything that actually worked til they were blue in the face.

Assuming they have capable hardware people just starting to look into the box, they're at a disadvantage because the goobers handed them a concept box based on nothing but a cute design and no consideration for component clearances, or heat exchange. Fortunately in this day and age, they don't also have to be concerned with RF shielding like 20+ years ago. It's basically a project box kind of thing, but it still has to fit. I hope for somebody's sake they at least measured the required dimensions for a particular laptop board before designing their plastic shell. The position of the fan intake is still a critical design consideration that I doubt they thought much about on the front end.

Simply because they still have proven zero functional progress, I gotta put them squarely at the Coleco Chameleon stage now. It should be concerning to backers, if they took off their coke bottle, rose colored glasses, because the stated objective is about dead simple. There's no reason on earth they couldn't have had a fully functional board running in their plastic mock-up box as a demo, even if they just dremelled the thing out. The fact that they continue to lie is the story, not the hardware progress.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 4

It is basically going to be a mid-range gaming laptop without a screen. Id actually have good use for something like that in my house, considering i wont ever get cable TV, but will likely have more than one TV in my house. Any media consumption i do on my television is either YouTube, Plex or the Windows 10 Movies & TV store, and theres still a vast amount of services id use on a console like this without ever getting a normal cable box. Plus this would be more powerful than a roku or a Google Chromecast, etc. So it would be able to do more than those devices

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

With all due respect to the as-yet-unnamed guy who is a friend of CPUWIZ, the fact that he's there means nothing. Curt Vendel has friends (no doubt, highly competent people too) who are close to this project as well, and he has publicly said that his confidence level in this thing ever coming to fruition is very, very low. The pictures with people in them are obviously staged, and the board they have is pretty much something anyone can get their hands on; there is nothing to show that they are even running anything on the board and there's no way to know from the pictures whether there's a real picture on the monitor (given their propensity for faking those, I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't).

All in all, this looks like another cynical play by Not-tari™ to make it appear that they're doing something when they have nothing. Not-tari™ has shown that they have no problems with lying, and they've done nothing to show that they are trustworthy now. Sorry, but I don't buy any of it.

• Like 3

Jiminy Cricket! A wall of text defending the Coleco Chamelon? The most obvious and laughable scam in retro gaming history. I never thought I would see the day. I was one of the first backers of that con game, mainly because I foolishly trusted the founder, and yet even I could never defend that scam with such enthusiasm.

• Like 1

Jiminy Cricket! A wall of text defending the Coleco Chamelon?

Where? If you're referring to this, I think the point is that the "VCS" isn't any more credible than the Chameleon at this point because they're both pretty plastic cases and off-the-shelf development boards, with no proven functionality. I wouldn't exactly call that an enthusiastic defense.

My 3 cents worth. It looks like a wearhouse not a garage. It looks way to big to be a guy's garage judging from the floresent lights on the ceiling (unless he has a huge garage). It seems to have a roll up door. In most cities their are small commercial areas like that where there is 100 or so small business in a dozen or so buildings. You can rent out one. They are cheaper than a commercial strip mall. A few months ago I went into one and they all have roll up doors for each office. Then ths one has 3 offices and a bathroom.

Bingo, I just got the wood grain wall in the background.

Edited by SupremeEnchanter
  • Like 1

I wouldn't outright dismiss CPUWiz's trust in his colleague. I do wonder if it could just be another paycheck for the guy.

I still think Atari was fraudulent before and during the campaign, similar to the RVGS/Chameleon. There's no doubt in my mind, at all, that Mike Kennedy wanted to build a console. Given the money, he too may have hired people who could make it happen. Kennedy had his eyes on a retro empire ("Cornering the market"), but it was the greenbacks he lacked.

This post is great satire, IMHO:

• Like 4

Jiminy Cricket! A wall of text defending the Coleco Chamelon? The most obvious and laughable scam in retro gaming history. I never thought I would see the day. I was one of the first backers of that con game, mainly because I foolishly trusted the founder, and yet even I could never defend that scam with such enthusiasm.

Yeah, where are you getting that. The point is this Infotarigrams thing is no more credible than the Chameleon at this point. Suggesting the Chameleon is being defended by that gives way to much credit to Infotarigrams and sets you up for another con for foolishly trusting them.

Memes. Uh huh.

Check your personal motivations before criticizing others. Im sure youll find theyre not so pure.

I backed the Cameleon because I had met MK many times and I foolishly believed in his dream, and I just wanted to invest in something to help the retro gaming hobby. I believed from the start that it was an unrealistic idea, but had it worked it would have been something truly unique (and maybe a bit of a money sink hole.) I also thought the involvement of Collector Vision was a good sign as they are a company with integrity who has shown real passion for our hobby. I was wrong. I admit it.

But even after all that, Im not the one defending the Chameleon over the VCS. Thats just laughable.

• Like 1