IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

IBM unloaded all of it's fabs to NXP and Global Foundries. Prior to that, they had the largest chipmaking fab in the USA in Burlington Vermont. Was an interesting place to work back in the 90's. IBM is just a software company now. They run the DMV site here. Pay your tags on Tuesday online, and they are in your mail box on wed. Must have printers at the local post offices. Amazing.

• Like 4

Pay your tags on Tuesday online, and they are in your mail box on wed. Must have printers at the local post offices. Amazing.

Amazon has been doing same day delivery on diapers for at least 3 years now, not that amazing that ibm and the (state) government can do it in a day

Edited by Osgeld

To any still following the Skarp Laser Razor saga, they made an update back in December. Basically, they moved to a new office, the CTO/co-founder resigned, and the laser fiber took years longer than expected because they "don't have a crystal ball". Surprisingly, the CEO has been very active in the comment section.

They also say they have four patents and a new website, http://skarptechnologies.com

Edited by PlaysWithWolves
  • Like 6

So, Atari went from this at the outset of the campaign:

"Atari VCS team seeks to work closely with the Atari fan community and gaming industry to prove to the world that the all-new Atari VCS has what it takes to go from “interesting” to “epic!” The Indiegogo partnership helps us to reach out to and connect with highly-engaged community members..."

To this:

"we just feel that often “less is more” on updates."

And why do any of the backers actually think that Atari has proceeded through it's "Q4 2018 Manufacturing" phase when they still have their own status listed on Indiegogo as not having progressed beyond the "March-Q3 2018 Prototype" phase?

thumbnail-deaf450c2d4183b9309b493f6a7b20
Andy Blakely 8 hours ago

@jbpin Q1 delivery is NOT delivery to consumers. It’s delivery from their factory to themselves. That’s why further down the timeline they list MID 2019 availability. It’s why from day-1 all tiers have stated “JULY 2019” estimated delivery.

@Tommy I agree totally. Except the update is sorta related to the VCS because the contest was for VCS backers. I don’t think they intended to tease us, but that’s what they effectively did, and it didn’t feel good to get excited and then let down.

thumbnail-deaf450c2d4183b9309b493f6a7b20
johnphelan1979 11 hours ago

The atari ceo said in an interview that the atari vcs will be launching July 2019.the daily express said that the Xbox playstation and Nintendo will have a new rival in July by a well known name atari. All this has been confirmed. Rob Wyatt and his team are hard at work on the atari vcs and it’s going to be awesome. Patience everybody I know everyone is nervous and excited and sceptic about the atari vcs but in my opinion it will come out on time and it will be awesome.

Prototype Stage

Concept
Prototype
Production
Shipping
This campaign has built only a working demo of their product, not the final product.
  • Like 5

Wow, I had to go and see it for myself. Yup, there it is, "less is more" on updates. Since they've only shared things that have been confirmed, our assumptions that very little has been confirmed are accurate.

post-2410-0-33303600-1549645018_thumb.png

Maybe they should have made this a stretch goal. Remember when they said this? It's still part of their pitch, you can check it.

post-2410-0-50151600-1549645354_thumb.png

What kind of chump is taken in by their attempts to make "backers" believe them and not their own eyes? Andy and John are willing to go to bat for them, based on nothing but shadows of promises, with money up front, no refunds.

giphy.gif

To any still following the Skarp Laser Razor saga, they made an update back in December. Basically, they moved to a new office, the CTO/co-founder resigned, and the laser fiber took years longer than expected because they "don't have a crystal ball". Surprisingly, the CEO has been very active in the comment section.

Wow, that's something to see. I'll bet there are some lessons in "community management" to be learned here. That (s)campaign is much older than "Atari VCS," so we still have plenty of time to see the full story unfold for "our" project. Atari should totally borrow the winning phrase "our refund policy is more of a fact, like gravity, than a policy. No refunds."

post-2410-0-94213000-1549645187_thumb.png

post-2410-0-52084600-1549645204_thumb.png

post-2410-0-77501500-1549645223_thumb.png

post-2410-0-45501500-1549645239_thumb.png

But back to Ataribox ... John's accent makes it sound like he's saying the latest update was "shart and sweet," and I can agree with half of that.

• Like 8

VCS is a complex project with constant twists and turns.

If none of the other over 9000 warning signs of incompetence seen throughout this saga have screamed, "our management is utterly inept and likely incapable of actually bringing this thing to market; run far away, and run as fast as you can," this should be it right there.

I've worked in hardware development environments in the past. Being one to four months from shipping and alluding to not having things nailed down is inexcusable - especially when your product is a freaking Linux box running on commodity hardware.

What's the first thing you do in hardware development? NAIL DOWN THE FINAL SPEC. After that, you build it. Doesn't work as planned? Revise. Still doesn't work as planned? Decide if it it's the right design to move forward with. Everything look OK? Build your pilot machines and start writing the software.

When you're building a bespoke multiple-CPU PPC-based platform with a bunch of custom features not found on another platform, 'twists and turns' are acceptable in the development process, especially when you're writing the OS to go along with it. In 1995.

When you're buying in prebuilt hardware from AMD that's going to run an off-the-shelf OS, there's no excuse. Don't care if it's 2019 or 1999, everything you're putting together should be a total non-surprise.

If only Atari SA was a valid anagram of 'assclowns'. And keep gulping down the Kool-Aid, True Believers.

• Like 6

Is that some kind of Fartist?

Their gaslighting is really spectacular. They say, "We only share things we know are confirmed, preferring not to report every gory detail," when it's literally the gory details that they've shared the most. It would be easier to minimize The Skyborne Misadventures of Rob Wyatt if they had anything else to say or show, but they don't.

Atari, so much more than truth and honesty.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Amazing that Atari finds this so difficult, when there are literally hundreds of YouTube videos of people assembling functionally identical units, with step-by-step instructions.

I think Atari is a mom who can't figure out Netflix.

• Like 11

I didn't realize that being a Flatulist was a thing. Completes my week.

Back on topic, at our usual big grocery store strip, got a boat load go taco fixings, so we have had those for most of the week.

(I guess I should take pictures, but taking pictures of my own food and sharing said photo online is some line I can't cross because really, who cares).

Back on topic, at our usual big grocery store strip, got a boat load go taco fixings, so we have had those for most of the week.

(I guess I should take pictures, but taking pictures of my own food and sharing said photo online is some line I can't cross because really, who cares).

post-52250-0-08732800-1549683389.jpg

post-52250-0-69113600-1549683492.gif

Last nights Satay Chicken :thumbsup: Mind you ... looks like 'Le Petomane' layed one out next to a large marshmellow. Ewww! :ponder:

#nothingtoseeheremovealong

This has to be on the walls in the A-fart-o-box HQ...or at least in their restroom. Maybe even Fred dreams about him before going to bed.

attachicon.gifpetomane.jpg

Now THAT'S interesting! Makes me wonder if Mel Brooks' character from Blazing Saddles was named after him. After all, that movie has a very infamous flatulence scene. And much like mister Le Petomane, Atari SA has been blowing a lot of hot air lately!

• Like 1