IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I bought an arcade1up cabinet on clearance, a raspberry pi, and some misc wires buttons converters etc. Total cost $300. It plays 2600 5200 7800 800 nes SNES lynx ps1 gameboy vectrex colecovision genesis odyssey2 mame and so much more.

Tacos rule, ataribox drool.

• Like 8

Don't give me the "unintentional scam" nonsense. Mike Kennedy said he had a product when, in reality, he did not. On that basis, he accepted money. That's a scam, no other word for it.

Atari has done the same thing, only with slightly more vague assurances of what the nonexistent product is.

• Like 2

When I read this:

The atari vcs is going to be an evolution of video game consoles. Not only for atari but all video games in general. The atari vcs is going to offer more flexibility and less restrictions than other platforms. When it comes to playing video games the atari vcs is going to awesome and I can’t wait to get it.

...I'm wondering what it is he can't wait to get. "[A]n evolution of video game consoles." Hasn't just about every new game console been this?

"Not only for atari but all video games in general." Um, okay, WTF does this even mean? It's not like "atari" has been constantly pumping out consoles every so many years like a few other console manufacturers. Just about anything would be an evolution for them. What in particular is it going to have that other manufacturers are going to think "man, we need to add that to our next console!"?

Never mind that what he's stating is so generic. He's using a whole lot of words to essentially say nothing. What do you mean by "more flexibility and less restrictions," which in itself sounds redundant? What restrictions?

I'm sure he's convinced himself it's "going to be awesome" (how 80s), but it's gonna take a lot more than him just saying so to make it so.

• Like 4

The Atari VCS is totally an "evolution of video game consoles." Remember kids, evolution does not imply forward progress. There are false starts, dead ends, and mutations that are incompatible with life. In terms of natural selection, "Atari VCS" is dead on arrival, if it arrives at all.

"Not only for atari but all video games in general" means that everyone will be able to point, laugh, and never repeat the mistakes of these jokers.

"More flexibility and less restrictions" (ahem) is Rob "Femur" Wyatt's answer to what he perceives as outrage over Playstation 3 not giving Linux access to the GPU, before removing the option altogether back in 2010. It also refers to the fact that since AtariBox won't have many games, the unlucky buyers will be presumably able to run Linux-compatible Steam games on it in a partition of their minuscule 32GB MMC storage device. You know, like any other computer, only way more limited in every single dimension except for "coming from a company called 'Atari.'"

Assuming it ever comes out, of course.

• Like 7

I bought an arcade1up cabinet on clearance, a raspberry pi, and some misc wires buttons converters etc. Total cost $300. It plays 2600 5200 7800 800 nes SNES lynx ps1 gameboy vectrex colecovision genesis odyssey2 mame and so much more.

Tacos rule, ataribox drool.

I finally got around to setting up a controller for my Mac to play the same things. The Netflix thing has me stumped though. I might need my mom to drive seven hours to help with that. She makes better tacos than I do, so there is that.

• Like 2

That sounds glorious! I've had Sam's Club hot dogs, but never a liquor store taco.

I'll take a picture next time. :)

Not sure I follow. Is Atari planning to ship one bottle per customer who preorded so they stop w(h)ining about the lack of updates?

;)

You talk to the person you know who is helping them much? Curious to hear how he thinks things are progressing.

I can offer my opinion only. People at SA, have probably ordered a bunch of tacos by now, since they are reading this.

south_park_animated_gif_10___clyde_s_tac

• Like 2

please no more chocolate, after valentines day my local dollar store puts choicolates on liquidation, 3 box for $1, i just scarfed down l lot of choco, my tummy hurts.

I have never seen Vectrex emulated, with todays high pixel count, is it like the genuine display with vectors?

Just popping in to see if anything has changed. Apparently not.

Oh good old Mike Kennedy. My take is that MK started out with honest, if impossible and delusional, intentions. He then discovered that hardware is hard and expensive and talk was cheap, and that horrible combination made him ultimately transition to pure con artist as he desperately needed $$$ to get him out from the mountains of promises and "simple as that!"'s

Atari SA is different in the way that MK spoke too much and promised everyone the moon. ASA doesn't speak at all, and that makes their intentions more enigmatic, but I am all for the theory that I first read here that they are looking to prop up the brand then sell it all for top dollars and then retire in luxury in Taco-land.

It is so poetic in its misery.

Mike was chasing the pixeldragon to find Retroland, but failed and didn't even get a Taco. Atari SA is pretending to be from Retroland, but will end up in Taco-land.

Just popping in to see if anything has changed. Apparently not.

Oh good old Mike Kennedy. My take is that MK started out with honest, if impossible and delusional, intentions. He then discovered that hardware is hard and expensive and talk was cheap, and that horrible combination made him ultimately transition to pure con artist as he desperately needed $$$ to get him out from the mountains of promises and "simple as that!"'s

Atari SA is different in the way that MK spoke too much and promised everyone the moon. ASA doesn't speak at all, and that makes their intentions more enigmatic, but I am all for the theory that I first read here that they are looking to prop up the brand then sell it all for top dollars and then retire in luxury in Taco-land.

It is so poetic in its misery.

Mike was chasing the pixeldragon to find Retroland, but failed and didn't even get a Taco. Atari SA is pretending to be from Retroland, but will end up in Taco-land.

Moral of the story: if you want to make a console, go to Fry's, buy a couple bucks worth of parts, & tinker with them till you have something, anything, which sorta-kinda works before asking anyone for money.

Even if you aren't able to release a product you'll have earned some respect; it's better to be the M2 or the Taito Wowow than the Coleco Chameleon.

• Like 3

Moral of the story: if you want to make a console, go to Fry's, buy a couple bucks worth of parts, & tinker with them till you have something, anything, which sorta-kinda works before asking anyone for money.

While this is true, let's face it...this was never being sold to people that gave a crap about what it did.

These were people willing to throw money at a 2600-esque box that said "Atari" on it. What it did or didn't do, or indeed whether it did anything at all, was a secondary consideration at best.

These people are still enthusiastically on board. Chesnais aimed for the low hanging fruit, and hit it brilliantly.

• Like 4