IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I haven't been here in months. Can anyone give me a short rundown of the development of this while I was gone?

There is still absolutely no indication that a working prototype exists anywhere.

Atari hasn't said anything substantive in the handful of "updates" they've posted.

Feargal Mac is suing Atari for kicking him off the project without paying him gazillions of dollars.

People are still eating tacos.

Did I miss anything?

• Like 7

> Did I miss anything?

Just a few of the darkly humorous turns on this long, boring road to nowhere.

The latest charming British-American frontman for Ataribox broke his leg jumping out of an airplane and told backers not to expect working graphics or sound anytime soon.

Conveniently, he has convinced at least some of the pigeons that "hardware can take a long time when you are doing it right."

Also, they sold some T-shirts, which ended up costing European buyers big bucks because of customs fees.

It all seems like the long way around to playing Atari Vault and Tempest 4000, which are already available on better, existing platforms that can also play zillions of games.

• Like 3

While this is true, let's face it...this was never being sold to people that gave a crap about what it did.

These were people willing to throw money at a 2600-esque box that said "Atari" on it. What it did or didn't do, or indeed whether it did anything at all, was a secondary consideration at best.

These people are still enthusiastically on board. Chesnais aimed for the low hanging fruit, and hit it brilliantly.

While it doesn't say Atari on it, it does at least have the emblem and looks like an (old school) Atari VCS

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2269086

post-39633-0-65054000-1550675281.jpg

post-39633-0-83958600-1550675286.jpg

• Like 6

So, has anything changed with the (air quotes) VCS (air quotes)?

I've been reading the comments section for the VCS indiegogo page and nearly everyone is angry over the lack of updates.

I think there might be one or two people who still believe in it, but they just ramble on about the VCS being revolutionary and being able to cast a shadow on Sony and Microsoft.

Amazing. Just amazing. It's like he's just repeating what he's heard...

I wonder if Fred Chesnais likes Steve Miller Band? If he has Take the Money and Run on his playlist we should warn the backers.

Wasn't jwhyrock one of the ones mad at us for commenting on their comments?

Wasn't jwhyrock one of the ones mad at us for commenting on their comments?

To be fair, that rubbed me the wrong way too. But it's okay-- I would just come and post here whatever was on my mind when that would happen to one of my comments. o u o

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

Yep in your head ;0)

but in mine I think we go to have News ( enfin ) the 19 march at 10AM ;0)

Is that when "Atari" will make another announcement of an announcement? Or offer a new T-shirt design?

That's the week when the big kids will be at the Game Developer Conference. The last time "Atari" went anywhere close to there (they were actually at a hotel across the street), it didn't go so well for them. That was almost a year ago. The giant pile of derp that followed has got to be one of Michael Arzt's worst moments, right up there with having to share a hotel room with Darth Vader after killing all the younglings.

post-2410-0-09381600-1550720522.jpg

thumbnail-deaf450c2d4183b9309b493f6a7b20

zaskoda

4 hours ago

After reading a few recent comments here, I see a lot of people are just as frustrated as I am at @Ataris weak and fluffy communication around this campaign. If the project isnt going well, just tell us. Im starting to worry.

thumbnail-deaf450c2d4183b9309b493f6a7b20

Maxime Boissard

5 hours ago

Atari VCS will be at GDC 2019 ?

• Like 1