IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Nathan,

That is totally not fair, they've made massive progress, why their last announcement back in like, what, November -- they actually got Linux to boot on their vanilla AMD dev board (publicly admitting, they have never actually shown or actually ever played ANYTHING, EVER on their own hardware)

Now, most importantly are the milestones they achieved from this first time ever booting of the OS :

1. No Enumeration of any peripherals, so basically they can't see or get input from their taco-sticks.

2. No graphics... even though Wyatt is supposed to special in optimizing graphics, but they can't even optimize them because it doesn't produce any graphics.

3. No audio, so nothing to see or hear, here.

4. Oh yeah! --- Hey, don't pay attention to the fact we've gotten nothing done, have a free t-shirt was the next great update.

So come on Nathan, you're being really harsh on FauxTari... they accomplished an amazing amount, I mean, well a 10 year ago could've accomplished this too... in like 10 mins. But hey, Atari did it in just under 5 months and $3 million dollars later...

So, lets see... March is coming up which means the spring deadline is approaching to finalize the design and for them to meet the Summer 2019 release, they will need to finish up and be production ready by, oh... April'ish, maybe they could possible push till May.

My guess is they won't push at all, sometime in March they'll be posting up that the product will be delayed till Fall, so they can grab an extra 3-4 months of stalling time while they try to figure out whether anymore board members will be bailing out and if they can somehow find a way to deliver some off the shelf Chinese crap they can slap their name on for $5 a piece and say - here is your Atari VCS, gotta run....

The t-shirts weren't actually free by the way. :P

In other, more positive news, I decided to pre-order one of these, because Sega is actually awesome, and Retro-Bit is actually showing progress on their hardware:

RB-SGA-003.png

Edited by Lodmot

Nathan,

That is totally not fair, they've made massive progress, why their last announcement back in like, what, November -- they actually got Linux to boot on their vanilla AMD dev board (publicly admitting, they have never actually shown or actually ever played ANYTHING, EVER on their own hardware)

Now, most importantly are the milestones they achieved from this first time ever booting of the OS :

1. No Enumeration of any peripherals, so basically they can't see or get input from their taco-sticks.

2. No graphics... even though Wyatt is supposed to special in optimizing graphics, but they can't even optimize them because it doesn't produce any graphics.

3. No audio, so nothing to see or hear, here.

4. Oh yeah! --- Hey, don't pay attention to the fact we've gotten nothing done, have a free t-shirt was the next great update.

So come on Nathan, you're being really harsh on FauxTari... they accomplished an amazing amount, I mean, well a 10 year ago could've accomplished this too... in like 10 mins. But hey, Atari did it in just under 5 months and $3 million dollars later...

So, lets see... March is coming up which means the spring deadline is approaching to finalize the design and for them to meet the Summer 2019 release, they will need to finish up and be production ready by, oh... April'ish, maybe they could possible push till May.

My guess is they won't push at all, sometime in March they'll be posting up that the product will be delayed till Fall, so they can grab an extra 3-4 months of stalling time while they try to figure out whether anymore board members will be bailing out and if they can somehow find a way to deliver some off the shelf Chinese crap they can slap their name on for $5 a piece and say - here is your Atari VCS, gotta run....

This is the part where a True Believer says that Atari is actually way ahead of schedule, and has the equivalent of a PS7 ready to go... they just haven't bothered to tell us because they just don't communicate well. Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 2

The shirt cost $25 plus shipping as I recall. Unless you lived in Europe. They all got stuck with customs fees. Which made no sense to me. These clowns are from France, couldn't they have found a t shirt shop locally for those backers? Oh wait that would have made sense.

The shirt cost $25 plus shipping as I recall. Unless you lived in Europe. They all got stuck with customs fees. Which made no sense to me. These clowns are from France, couldn't they have found a t shirt shop locally for those backers? Oh wait that would have made sense.

At least people have been getting a physical t-shirt. It's almost like getting a physical taco. o u o

………….. or a sushi roll...….. > u >

Edited by Lodmot

Before this VCS is released Avengers movies will be over and Samsung will release the Taco folding Galaxy phone MONTHS before this TacoBox, and that thing has 12GB of Ram, about 8 million cores, probably will be able to emulate the Atacobox while watching youtube on the other side.

Samsung brought to mass market a Taco Phablet and Atari has nothing to show except a recycled rotating Jaguar Cube on a screen... I would be highly suspect of any prototype motherboard they post in an update thanks to Mike Kennedy's prior Shenanigans.

Throwing money at this circus act is a lesson learned for me. An expensive lesson at that.

So, no sarcasm at all...I'm genuinely curious.

I see that you're new to the AtariAge forums, but did you really see no doubts raised or questions asked about the VCS or Atari SA while you were researching your crowdfunding pledge?

Many of us were quite vocal not only here, but on the VCS Facebook page, the AtariAge Facebook page and other social media outlets. Plenty of YouTube personalities raised questions. Tech mags like The Register savaged it.

I think a lot of us find it fascinating that even with a track record of mediocrity, faked gameplay footage, and incredibly vague promises, "Atari" managed to collect three million bucks when all was said and done.

• Like 5

So, no sarcasm at all...I'm genuinely curious.

I see that you're new to the AtariAge forums, but did you really see no doubts raised or questions asked about the VCS or Atari SA while you were researching your crowdfunding pledge?

Many of us were quite vocal not only here, but on the VCS Facebook page, the AtariAge Facebook page and other social media outlets. Plenty of YouTube personalities raised questions. Tech mags like The Register savaged it.

I think a lot of us find it fascinating that even with a track record of mediocrity, faked gameplay footage, and incredibly vague promises, "Atari" managed to collect three million bucks when all was said and done.

I am not a video game person at all. Comics and toys are my wheelhouse of interest. I will completely admit I did not research this thing well enough before I tossed money at it. I honestly thought this was the current owners of the Atari name actually trying to do something. I was only slightly aware of the flak this thing was getting on YouTube but I dismissed most of it because in my experience most of YouTube is just unhappy people being trolls.

Later I discovered this group and realized I never should have gave those clowns any money. All of this is just a hard lesson of do your research before you invest in something.

I do think they will deliver something but it isn't going to be anything worth owning and it will be super behind schedule.

Main point.. lesson learned and hopefully this whole crap fest leads to new ownership who actually care about Atari.

• Like 10

I hope they go under and Intv can buy them. Then we could have IntelliTari with an emblem of the running man running up Mt. Fuji.

That would be pretty cool. Intellitarivision. :)

I think we probably have a better chance to acquire Vectrex & Coleco first though. :)

Hey... don't laugh... we pulled off a near miracle by resurrecting all the Imagic games (which many tried and failed at).

And did anyone notice that was have 12 Atari titles for the new Intellivision Amico? And that the games we do are EXCLUSIVE only to our system.

;)

• Like 8

I am not a video game person at all. Comics and toys are my wheelhouse of interest. I will completely admit I did not research this thing well enough before I tossed money at it. I honestly thought this was the current owners of the Atari name actually trying to do something. I was only slightly aware of the flak this thing was getting on YouTube but I dismissed most of it because in my experience most of YouTube is just unhappy people being trolls.

Later I discovered this group and realized I never should have gave those clowns any money. All of this is just a hard lesson of do your research before you invest in something.

I do think they will deliver something but it isn't going to be anything worth owning and it will be super behind schedule.

Main point.. lesson learned and hopefully this whole crap fest leads to new ownership who actually care about Atari.

Yeah... I have to agree with this being a good lesson in what I spend my money on.

For me, I was actually aware of all the negative coverage/bad reputation surrounding this project, but I decided to give it a chance anyway because I like looking at things from a positive light. From my point of view, it just looked like people were jumping the gun and immediately saying "this thing will suck" from the get-go, before it even had a chance. Also, me being more of a sincere person and not understanding sarcasm very much, I wasn't a fan of peoples' tones here, the screenshotting of comments rubbed me the wrong way, and the taco jokes were getting old. So I was riding the VCS bandwagon for a while. I actually still kinda wish for it to deliver at least a piece of hardware I can toy with later...

But after the 10th update being so stupid and not even being an update at all, I decided to just say "fuck it". I'm actually more hyped about Sega's Retro-Bit controllers and the Genesis Mini that are coming out. Sega's at least still a reputable brand that puts out what they say they're going to put out.

It's pretty sad that the Atari branding has just kept falling into the wrong hands over the years. Hopefully it catches a break sometime later and we see something unexpectedly great come out again.

• Like 2

wonder how many times Max is gonna ask on the IGG page about GDC. :rolling:

Puzzling, since he already KNOWS they're going to make amazing announcements of REAL NEWS on the 19th. :lol:

Yeah... I have to agree with this being a good lesson in what I spend my money on.

For me, I was actually aware of all the negative coverage/bad reputation surrounding this project, but I decided to give it a chance anyway because I like looking at things from a positive light. From my point of view, it just looked like people were jumping the gun and immediately saying "this thing will suck" from the get-go, before it even had a chance.

I hope it's also a lesson in not looking at things in a positive or negative light, but rather in the harsh light of reality.

I realize many of us come across as smug, sarcastic bastards, but we've also been around for a long, long time. When we criticize or poke fun at this project, it's because we know the odds of this project having any possible relevance or chance of success.

• Like 8

Max seems to live in an interesting world.

lol lol until I have an answer, may be never, it's not correct but I understand, He want keep this very secret ;0)

Soon a lot people go to have the same world that me ;0) like Ready player One :0)

Yes racer I'm waiting 19th march at 10am ...