IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

8 ) Don't give money without getting a product. Duh. Otherwise you are just donating to the idiot tax.

I still can't understand why anyone would give even a cent unless a product is available. The fact all these Indigo , Kickstart etc sites even exist just shows how many stupid people there are.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 2

I still can't understand why anyone would give even a cent unless a product is available. The fact all these Indigo , Kickstart etc sites even exist just shows how many stupid people there are.

All campaigns, I have backed, all came to fruition. Research, straight thinking, reason, having money to piss away, that all goes toward finding success.

Teensy 3.X

Monoprice IIIP

etc.

All things arrived eventually, the 3D printer, I had already forgotten about, but it showed up.

• Like 1

I still can't understand why anyone would give even a cent unless a product is available.

Because products don't become available without some money to back their development. Of course there will be a risk, but you mitigate that as much as possible by looking into the merits of the offering. But Kickstarter and IndieGogo et al are just stock markets for the hipsters who think it's cool to hate Wall Street.

• Like 1

For @jhd, here is the last set of running totals we estimated. The spoiler box in the original post quotes the previous numbers. It was hard to track because they hid some numbers, reset others, deleted some editions and went from "number sold" to "units remaining":

I noticed the campaign went back to showing "123 of 600 claimed" and got curious of how many consoles they actually sold since my last update.
The answer is +152 console sets. They also gained 103 backers. I no longer trust the following numbers due to the potential for cancellations--even ones where they re-order (e.g., cancel Secret Perk to get "Early Bird and Joystick").
If anyone disagrees and still finds them useful, let me know.

1891 Woody sets
398 Onyx earlybird (318+80) | +13 since 06/11
712 Onyx early set (637+75) | +16
414 Onyx all in set (91+323) | +123
3727 Woody all in set
1451 Secret Perk

8593 total console kits (10,940 total backers)

Previous numbers:

• Like 3

The channel is still there,and he posted a non-Atari video four days ago. For some reason, there's extra characters when you click on the link (at least on mobile?). If you copy the text it works fine.

Oooops looks like his channel is gone. Maybe he finally saw the light and went into a deep depression.

• Like 1

The channel is still there,and he posted a non-Atari video four days ago. For some reason, there's extra characters when you click on the link (at least on mobile?), but if you copy the text it works fine.

I find it hilarious he has done a few videos about failed consoles. I think he's irony impaired.

• Like 1

I find it hilarious he has done a few videos about failed consoles. I think he's irony impaired.

In a good number of his videos, he's also shirtless for some reason. Kind of disturbing. o 3o

Then I remember in one of them, someone from outside the room he's in called him to come out because dinner's ready. LOL! xD

• Like 1

8 ) Don't give money without getting a product. Duh. Otherwise you are just donating to the idiot tax.

I don't think I'll ever use IndieGoGo, but I've happily Kickstarted tons of things (and used Unbound a couple of times). I don't think I've truly ever been burned... disappointed, sure, but I don't think I've ever been completely stiffed on a product. Of course, it's up to you to do your due diligence; is the project something that is feasible? Have the project creators successfully made previous projects happen? Etc.

Kickstarter is a great venue for helping to publish books, create small runs of toys, maybe small film or music projects, and even electronics (to some degree). I think, when you get into big, expensive electronics or anything that starts hitting the too good to be true button, that's when Kickstarter (and DEFINITELY IndieGoGo) get a little dicey, and you're much better off waiting.

The reality is that, if anybody is coming up with a revolutionary gadget via crowdfunding, you're probably better off waiting for a big company to take note and waiting for their version of same. If a miracle razor is being developed with a too good to be true laser beam that will effortlessly tame your beard, do you want to buy the "indy" version of it, or wait until, say, Gillette comes out with one? And when a "big" company (or a tiny little company that has purchased the rights to a brand name you used to love) starts talking about their revolutionary new idea,but then have to crowdfund it, that's when red flags should sound. What do they need crowdfunding for? A few years back, Archie Comics (which is not the big company they used to be, but still employs quite a few people) went to Kickstarter to launch some new comics... they had to take their campaign down within days because people said "what does a publishing company need crowdfunding for?" On the other hand, I think IDW crowdfunds stuff like expensive board games largely so they can accurately gauge interest. It's a balance; is Kickstarter supposed to be something that helps you bring your idea to fruition, or is it a preorder store? It's not supposed to be the latter, but it certainly can work out that way in practice.

IMO, Kickstarter should be for small press type stuff. If you treat it that way, I don't think you'd have too much of a problem with it. The problem is that Ouya was a big success (for a minute) and people still hope they can replicate it without giving thoughts to the install base, the digital ecosystem you would need to sustain it, etc.

• Like 2

Right now I'm just trying to make light of the whole thing and see the humor in it. I regret giving these taco clowns my money and would be happy with a refund at this point. But I can't let myself get angry about it. I sent them an email quoting the same rules that Lodmot sent them with no response. Hopefully if I harass them enough they will want me to shut up and give me a refund.

• Like 3

March 19 is the 78th day of the year (79th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar.

Notable events on March 19th:
1918 – The U.S. Congress establishes time zones and approves daylight saving time.
1920 – The United States Senate rejects the Treaty of Versailles for the second time (the first time was on November 19, 1919).
1931 – Gambling is legalized in Nevada.
1945 – World War II: Adolf Hitler issues his "Nero Decree" ordering all industries, military installations, shops, transportation facilities and communications facilities in Germany to be destroyed.
1958 – The Monarch Underwear Company fire leaves 24 dead and 15 injured.
1969 – The 385 metres (1,263 ft) tall TV-mast at Emley Moor transmitting station, United Kingdom, collapses due to ice build-up.
2019 – Some twit posts more senseless drivel on the internet, and absolutely nothing worthwhile is announced about Atari.
Births
1848 – Wyatt Earp, American police officer (d. 1929)
1906 – Adolf Eichmann, German SS officer (d. 1962)
Deaths
2005 – John DeLorean, American engineer and businessman, founded the DeLorean Motor Company (b. 1925)
2008 – Arthur C. Clarke, British science fiction writer (b. 1917)
Holidays and observances
"Return of the Swallow", annual observance of the swallows' return to Mission San Juan Capistrano in California.
"Hug a Depressed Atari Fan Day", annual observance of the disillusionment of nostalgic nerds and crowd funders.
  • Like 10

To John's credit, at least he's honest.

I will buy anything that has atari written on it.

Now Martial Daviaud on the other hand...poor guy couldn't even bring himself to spam Update 10 all over the place. He might need a wellness check.

• Like 4